Tangipahoa Parish

JPKneworleans

Tangipahoa has grown by leaps and bounds since the storm, although some are wondering where all the people are that will fill these new homes. 2010 will be hear soon enough. At that time, determinations are made regarding the component parts of metropolitan statistical areas. One of the criteria in determining whether a parish is part of an MSA relates to percentage of parish residents who commute to a core parish in an MSA. The New Orleans MSA has two core parishes, Orleans and Jefferson. To my knowledge, BR as only one...EBR.

Tangipahoa and St. James Parishes are the two rural parishes that separate the NOLA and BR MSAs. Question: Assuming Tangipahoa's classification changes from rural to urban, to which MSA will it belong? NOLA or BR? For obvious reasons, I'm pulling for NOLA. NOLA has a slight advantage because it has two "central counties", Orleans and Jefferson. The driving distance from Hammond to EBR is slightly less than the driving distance to Jefferson Parish.

St. Tammany's growth could result in its reclassification as a central county, but I doubt it. If that were the case, Tangipahoa would be part of NOLA without a doubt.

One thing is certain...Hammond can't be its own metro area because its population is to low.

If Tangipahoa is part of NOLA, and growth continues, we could be back to pre Katrina metro population...albeit with a larger geographic area.

THOUGHTS??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling it will become part of the NOLA metro...especially after the storm. A ton of new development is taking place in the Robert and Pontchatoula areas which ties into the New Orleans area more than BTR. We shall see how it all pans out in a few years.

I'd definately put my money on it becoming part of metro New Orleans. After all, most of the people that are contributing to all of the growth there moved from places like St. Bernard Parish and Plaquemines Parish, places that are already in the GNO area. I'd bet that most of the new faces in that parish are much more connected, economically and mentally, to New Orleans than they are to Baton Rouge.

Since I've lived in NOLA ('87), I always have thought of Tangipahoa as more or less part of GNO. However, I've noticed an effort by BR to claim Tangipahoa (and even St. Tammany) as part of some grand greater Baton Rouge commercial corridor that spans I-12.

Since I've lived in NOLA ('87), I always have thought of Tangipahoa as more or less part of GNO. However, I've noticed an effort by BR to claim Tangipahoa (and even St. Tammany) as part of some grand greater Baton Rouge commercial corridor that spans I-12.

My husband and I have been spending a lot more time on the Northshore lately... I'm from BR, he's from NO and he's starting a business in Covington so we've been getting to know Tangipahoa, St. Tammany and the far reaches of Livingston (Albany) for the past few months.

The thing I found most interesting is the makeup of these parishes post Katrina. In some of the small towns, there are more and more NO transplants and the reaction from the locals differs. Some are happy that property value is going up and that nice families are moving in and fixing up. Some are angry that what was once country is now changing into suburbs. Some that I've met complain about how snobby the NO transplants are to them in their own towns. And alot are worried about what this is going to do to their schools, which currently are some of the best in the area, and if crime will go up.

Ponchatoula seems open to as many new residents as possible and Hammond doesn't seem to mind either. But I think the more rural you get, the more worried people are over the changes that might take place over the next few years. My husband and I are counting on that, though. My goal is to find a nice sized piece of country property and my husband's is that the rest of that region will continue to develop into a major metro type area... to us, it's the best of both worlds and easily connects us to both big cities. And we're not the only ones who think this way because at least 7 of our relatives from both BR and NO have already either bought a place or are looking for one on the Northshore. So we'll be following it's development closely. ;)

I think it's a no brainer that St. Tammany feels more connected to NO, but I'm not sure about Tangipahoa. I know a lot of people from Hammond (and Tangi in general) who feel equally connected to both cities. And I would think that's the way to go developmentally. I'm just dreaming here, but for instance, putting a transit line that goes between BR, the Northshore and NO. :whistling:

• 3 months later...

Archived