World's tallest in KC?

ShowMeKC

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17 million sf? That's crazy, that's more than three times Mall of America or West Edmonton Mall! I don't know how they're going to fit that much retail without tapping every mall in the area. Sounds like another DestiNY USA in Syracuse. What happened to that? I guess to be fair, it has better links than Syracuse (ie air, rail), and a bigger nearby population. As a former Shawnee resident, I think it would be kinda neat, but the whole concept seems a little too early 90s for me.

Hehe now the Business Journal and KC Star columnist Kevin Collission are making fun of it (Kevin isn't making fun of it, but he will talk about how impossible it is)

This won't happen b/c of the developer itself. Not because of Kansas City or it's location.

2015 feet? I thought the FAA had a nationwide height restriction of 2000 feet.

I will give my $.02 about the source....

In my experience, I have found Globe Street to be unreliable. They reported in December that the new downtown Detroit movie theater was already open and showing movies. The thing is, it's still under construction, and won't open until later this year. Globe Street also doesn't know the difference between the David Whitney Building and the David Broderick Tower. They also reported last week that the deal for renovating the Book-Cadillac Hotel was complete, and that renovation is under way. In reality, the deal is far from complete, and renovations are not under way. There have been other things too. Maybe they are better on KC stories than they are on Detroit ones, but I doubt it. I realize that all news can't be 100% accurate, but the reporting on GlobeSt.com is a joke! I'll believe it when I see a story on the proposal from a more reliable source.

Well I emailed them and am still awaiting a concept plan....

Still I'm not much of a believer in this as just the descriptions of it all - a world's tallest in the middle of nowhere (as in a far suburb) of KC, a "Mother Earth" park and all those grand descriptions - how is the company going to build such investment in the first place? If this plan is for real, it's visionary at best; I'm all for KC to grow and just maybe a company will be willing to risk an 1000 footer there, but a 2400+ footer PLUS the world's largest mall and entertainment centre? Sunny has seemed to make many questions vague such as the financial planning of this, why being in the Top 10 for tourism (region-wise, which is vague by itself) makes it #1 for such a project, how exactly it is able to bypass height limits or why a WTB makes sense in the suburbs.

Well, he said it isn't for Kansas City, the project is for the United States, and it's in KC because we are in the very center.

He also pointed out that he isn't going to let anyone or anything stop him, (sounds like what I have planned to be like in the future)

he said he only needs a few million dollars more till he can start selling shares to investors at $7million per .2% share. This is how he is going to fund it, by selling just 500 of those and earning 3.5 billion dollars.

He also said that the height restrictions are no concern in the area they wish to build (hence the distance from the urban core, since we have a downtown airport)

No way in the world is that city going to get a 17 million square foot mall. They wouldn't even be able to fill half of it even if it was built. Considering West Edmonton Mall is something like 5 million square feet with 800 stores, 17 million would probably be close to 3000 stores.

What city? Huh? You don't think KC is big enough? Well, we aren't big, however here is something Neal himself told me:

"This project will be built in Kansas City, because I have set my mind on it. The Kansas City region is the most strategic location to develop something like this. The target market is not the Kansas Citian, it is the whole USA and the Canadians at the North. Better even, we aim at thrill-seekers, luxury-seekers, and travellers from all the whole world as a target market."

also:

"99% of all people can not believe the location: Kansas City. But imagine 1,000 acres fully developed, man-made lakes, avenues, walking trails, boulevards, and hundreds of buildings on the themeparks"

I doubt you do, but don't even for one second think we are some hick, middle of nowhere cowtown, because we are far from that ;)

Nobody is attacking you, personally, nor Kansas City. All's anybody has ever done was raise some legitamate questions and claims.

The target market is not the Kansas Citian, it is the whole USA and the Canadians at the North.

Obviously. A major tourist attraction always caters to the greater region. However, there already is a HUGE MALL in the midwest, AND between Kansas City and Canada....it's called the Mall of America.

AND, Canada already has a larger mall. So, why would this guy think people in Canada would go here, instead of their OWN giant mall....or, bypass the MoA to drive a few more hours south to see essentially, the same thing?

This guys thinking and rational seems to be a bit off base. Building a mega-mall in Kansas City, when their's one in Minneapolis (6hours away) would be like building another Disney theme park in Miami or Atlanta, when there's one in Orlando.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So what has he announced so far:

World's 2 Tallest buildings (all hotel)

World's largest mall

World's largest auto gallery

World's largest furniture gala

World's largest theme park (Carcasserone)

World's largest greenhouse ("Mother Earth")

World's largest spaceship model

World's largest planetarium

World's highest space observation deck

Model of White House

Model of Taj Mahal

Model of Eiffel Tower

Model of Colusseum

Model of Palace of Versailles

Model of the Great Pyramids of Egypt

some other replica (I forget)

36-hole golf course

with the plan becoming grander and grander as Sunny announces more stuff every once in a while....

Update: at the SSC thread Sunny suddenly changed plans and said that he wanted to build it in Texas, or perhaps one of the other Gulf states, instead. He refuses to explain why the change in location is better and a forumer who claims to be a forumer employee in his company came in and discredited him. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived