Dexter Training Ground

Liamlunchtray

Hey All -

Charles Pinning seems to be wildly wound up about the Dog Park (putting fliers up all over the place about what a travesty it is, etc...). Any input on this? He always seems to be up in arms over something, and I never really understand his point. Personally I think that the dogs should have a seperate fenced run adjacent to the ball field, but If thats not possible, I think the ball field gets used way more as a dog park than for ball.

Liam

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i completely agree with you, ruchele. in a dog park, are the owners responsible for cleaning up the crap or is it allowed to just leave it? i don't own a dog and have never been to a dog park, so i don't know the rules.

everyday since it's been warmer, i've seen people playing ball on every ball park i've been by recently (at least 3 of them and 1 soccer field (i think) near chad brown). i think the kids have more of a right to the field than the dogs. my opinion is that if you choose to live in a city, you should choose a dog that fits city living. generally, it's not a big dog that needs lots of space to run around. that being said, i still understand the need for a dog park... but that park is freaking huge! i don't know how the city justified turning a ball field that is regularly used into a dog park other than not wanting to spend the money on a new fence for another part of the park (which can't cost all that much in the long run). i guess the city realized a double win with this one... no need to buy a fence and no need to maintain the ball field either.

The one thing I do think is odd is that this had unofficially been a dog park for years and years and no one ever complained. In the 7 years we've been in the neighborhood I would say that for every 10 times I saw dogs using the park I might see someone playing ball there once.

I 'm very much in favor of a fenced dog run adjacent to the ball field. It seems like it wouldnt cost much to make everyone happy. If I'm not mistaken though Basachs had said something about there being provisions prohibiting additional fenced in areas within the park.

The problem with that ballpark is that it became a de facto dog park and people stopped wanting to play ball amidst the doo-doo landmines. As a ball field, it had a bit of a downward spiral. Even still, people played ball there regularly.

The kickballers referred to that field as "dogsh*t park".

I don't have a dog and I don't play ball, but it does bother me that the BOPC made this decision with very little input from the community.

The one thing I do think is odd is that this had unofficially been a dog park for years and years and no one ever complained. In the 7 years we've been in the neighborhood I would say that for every 10 times I saw dogs using the park I might see someone playing ball there once.

I 'm very much in favor of a fenced dog run adjacent to the ball field. It seems like it wouldnt cost much to make everyone happy. If I'm not mistaken though Basachs had said something about there being provisions prohibiting additional fenced in areas within the park.

if only we could decide internally what we want to spend our tax dollars on.

when i had a dog i used that park often, and found it to be important part of neighborhood neighborliness. Folks met each other who might not have had the opportunity, created friendships, and collectively cleaned up after their dogs. Dog parks are a lot like playgrounds, but for dogs. I don't have kids. I don't have any use for a playground but i understand why they are important to the urban relationships and quality of life for families we try to carve out in the city.

btw, i don't live in the armory district and yet i knew about the move to make this a permanent dog park, so i don't think it is fair to characterise the actions of the board of parks commissioners as not soliciting enough opinions or making this decision in secret. The fact that it has been an unofficial dog park, supported by the users of the park and the neighborhood organization in the form of putting dog poop bags etc, certainly must have led them to believe that this is something the neighborhood would support.

Not everything in Providence is a conspiracy regardless of what i usually say.

i think in cases like this, the city should be required to send a notice of the meeting to determine the use to all those in the adjacent neighborhood (say within half a mile of the park's boundaries). the city does a poor job at publicizing their meetings.

also, jen, there are plenty of adults who play baseball, softball, and kickball. this isn't simply a playground for kids that was lost, but a ball field that can be used by any age group.

so there was a "movement" to make the ball field an official dog park - by dog owners who are almost all 24-whatever, most probably homeowners or at least in an upwardly mobile situation.

I observed on three different days last week (and many many days last year and the year before), many kids 9-16 using the field to play baseball, almost ALL minority. Now who do you think is going to go to meetings and get their voices heard?

Now, as I've said before, I use the dog park for my dog, and I've used it to play ball. There was never a problem before because it was pretty self-regulating and dogs used it when people weren't playing ball, and vice versa. The take-over, when you've got a diamond, dugouts, and a backstop, is defintely very confusing to alot of poor kids from the neighborhood, and that is really kinda a shame.

i do not think this was the case at all. If folks want to make it a race thing--yuppies with puppies vs poor minority ball players--go for it. The neighborhoods of providence definately need more division, derision and bad feelings. divide and conquer--it is all the rage in the inner city these days.

i do not think this was the case at all. If folks want to make it a race thing--yuppies with puppies vs poor minority ball players--go for it. The neighborhoods of providence definately need more division, derision and bad feelings. divide and conquer--it is all the rage in the inner city these days.

jen, i'm not sure how you don't think it could be a class issue. you go to a lot of city meetings... do any minorities come and complain about changes being proposed by middle-upper class white folks? and if they do, who wins?

i'd be surprised if the lower class minorities would have access to the city meeting schedules and agendas online (not that they're easy to find online). i doubt they're running around worried about a dog park or a baseball field. in fact, they probably have no problem the status quo (or what it used to be) and were surprised to find that their ball field was turned into a crapping field for dogs.

I just got back from this "Meeting" a little while ago and it was exactly what I thought it would be. Accusations, no real data, a condecending way of speaking, and a pathetic attempt to sway a community. There were dog owners present as well as supporters of the individuals in charge of this.

My advice to the dog owners present (and also to those who weren't) is to think carefully before believing anything that was said this evening. What they were saying wasn't exactly doing dog owners any favors. It's not that the former ballfield is the only place that dogs should go, but it sure would be nice if those opposed to that particular space becomming a dog park had other ideas for a dogpark or a healthy compromise. Do your research and get involved. This was the first of 2 or perhaps 3(?) meetings on this issue before it goes back for govt. decision at the end of the month. I think the next meeting is slated for Tuesday, May 8th.

Whatever the case may be, it's going back to vote at the end of the month and it's a little dissapointing to me that a group of individuals can conduct themselves in this way and not even be clear about what they're proposing.

For those of you who are night-owls, it'll be on the ABC nightly news...

I just got back from this "Meeting" a little while ago and it was exactly what I thought it would be. Accusations, no real data, a condecending way of speaking, and a pathetic attempt to sway a community. There were dog owners present as well as supporters of the individuals in charge of this.

My advice to the dog owners present (and also to those who weren't) is to think carefully before believing anything that was said this evening. What they were saying wasn't exactly doing dog owners any favors. It's not that the former ballfield is the only place that dogs should go, but it sure would be nice if those opposed to that particular space becomming a dog park had other ideas for a dogpark or a healthy compromise. Do your research and get involved. This was the first of 2 or perhaps 3(?) meetings on this issue before it goes back for govt. decision at the end of the month. I think the next meeting is slated for Tuesday, May 8th.

Whatever the case may be, it's going back to vote at the end of the month and it's a little dissapointing to me that a group of individuals can conduct themselves in this way and not even be clear about what they're proposing.

For those of you who are night-owls, it'll be on the ABC nightly news...

Speaking of the Armory...this is TONIGHT!

Armory Open Sneak Peek:

Art in Plein Air at the Dexter Training Grounds

Date: Wednesday, May 2nd from 3-5pm (rain date May 3rd)

Come to the park to mingle with artists as they create works to be showcased in the upcoming Armory Open! Art and Architecture in the Cranston Street Armory gala. Various artists who are participating in the show will be on hand working in a variety of media forms, and you can get a chance to get a

Keeping the Park thing going....

Anyone who has been in the park this week can hopefully see how nice and clean it is. The Friends Group cleaned the park and was able mulch many of the trees. Some had not been mulched in years and it looks really good and the trees are now protected from the lawn mowing equipment.

However, there are a bunch left that we did not get to, and some painting of benches and trashcans need to be done.

So we are having a mini-cleanup this coming Saturday at 9 for anyone interested in helping out. We will meet at the playground and all supplies are provided.

Free coffee and donuts too!

Please come out if you can, even if it is only for an hour, to help keep the park looking good!

Thanks,

Baruch Sachs

WBNA Friends of Dexter Training Ground

Archived