Dexter Training Ground

Liamlunchtray

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REMINDER: Cleanup of Dexter Park tmw 9-11am!

Cleanup of Dexter Park!

This Saturday, July 7th from 9-11am we will be having a post-July 4th cleanup of Dexter Training Ground. We will be picking up litter, cleaning graffiti, and making note of anything that needs fixing or attention.

If you use the park at all and enjoy seeing it clean, I encourage you to help out. Supplies are provided as well as refreshments. The more people we can get, the quicker the park gets clean.

Thanks in advance!

Baruch Sachs

WBNA Friends of Dexter Training Ground

Sorry to bring the discussion back to the dog park thing, but. . .

At the walk through on the 28th, Alix Ogden presented two additional options that are under consideration for the dog park area: "Option 3" entails making the dog area on a tear-drop shaped section of lawn along Dexter St. by the southeast corner of the park, and "Option 4" entails making a rectangular dog area in deep right field of the ball field (outside of the current fence, but the outfield fence will be removed no matter which option is chosen.) You can see the area in question here.

In public comments made after the meeting at the WBNA, concerns were expressed about locating the dog park at the corner of Hollywood and Parade (Option 2) because of the impact on what folks said was the greenest and most formal area of the park.

(Personally, I go for Option 3. Doesn't Option 4 present the same problem that basachs described with #1- lobbing balls directly into the dog park?)

Ms. Ogden plans to make the decision by the end of this week. You can see options #1 and #2 and still leave public comment here. They are still taking comments, even though it says only through the 19th.

Good luck with the cleanup, basachs. Sorry I won't be around this weekend to lend a hand.

REMINDER: Cleanup of Dexter Park tmw 9-11am!

Cleanup of Dexter Park!

This Saturday, July 7th from 9-11am we will be having a post-July 4th cleanup of Dexter Training Ground. We will be picking up litter, cleaning graffiti, and making note of anything that needs fixing or attention.

If you use the park at all and enjoy seeing it clean, I encourage you to help out. Supplies are provided as well as refreshments. The more people we can get, the quicker the park gets clean.

Thanks in advance!

Baruch Sachs

WBNA Friends of Dexter Training Ground

So the dog run news from Parks is that the have settled on a version of Option 4- the dog park will be past the current outfield fence, which will be removed. The location will be further towards the center of the park than originaly described in Option 4. This seems like a fairly reasonable compromise, to me.

Also in the plans is the installation of 10 new benches, funded through the work of the Friends of Dexter Park. Nice work, basachs! See you at the cleanup tomorrow!

Thanks to all those that came out to clean up the park! It is looking good! And for those that could not make it dont worry, we will have another next month!

Also, here is the email that was sent out by Alix Ogden, the superintendent of Parks regarding the off leash area. I realize there is some info and accusations out there swirling around, but this is the official word:

Thank you for contacting me about Dexter Training Ground Park.

As you may know, the Board of Park Commissioners (BOPC) designated the ballfield area in the park as an off leash area. In anticipation of that decision at their meeting and after hearing public comment, Mayor Cicilline, who chairs the Board, asked the Parks Department to look at alternative locations in the park for an off leash area that would address the concerns about accomodating informal play in the park.

The Department developed two alternatives and we completed a public comment period on these alternatives at the end of June. The opportunities for comment included a well-publicized West Broadway Neighborhood Association meeting on June 6th. In addition to WBNA's efforts, this meeting was announced to all media outlets, including Spanish language stations. A facilitator and translator were available at the meeting. Approximately 65 citizens attended and many more made comment on line after viewing the two options. Through the course of the public comment period, other alternatives were raised by citizens. The BOPC had asked me to make a determination on a new site based on public comment. We had planned on making that determination on June 26.

As there were new alternatives proposed through public comment, we instead announced that the scheduled walk through on June 28 would look at the two original options and the new alternatives raised during the comment. On June 28, we presented a summary of the major issues raised during public comment and how each of the now four options presented "stacked up" to these major areas. Approximately 17 people attended the walk through and I also asked people to make additional comments on-line. After the meeting, I was contacted by phone by several neighbors along the Dexter side of the park with whom I discussed the new options.

After much review and discussion of all four options, I prepared a package for information for the Historic District Commission to review that locates the dog park in the area in which the current dog park is but beyond the current "outfield" fence. The entrance will be in the center of the park and the off leash area extends in both directions (small dog park in one, large dog park in the other) in a curve that follows the tree line. Please see attachment (the size and entrance location are approximate)

I believe this location is responsive to the public comment in several ways;

1) It locates the dog park activity as centrally as possible and as far away from all residents as possible.

2) It does not disturb areas of the park that many comments indicated people thought were the more formal parts of the park.

2) It provides shade and sufficient space for both a small and large dog park. The total size will be approximately 1/3 an acre or more which is similar to the dog park on Gano St.

3) We will remove the fencing for the ball park except for the backstop and the dugouts. This will allow for all kinds of informal recreational play in this area.

4) It creates less fencing in the park. We have decided to use decorative durable black aluminum fencing instead of chain link so the fencing will be more attractive.

5) Although the dog park will be in the same area as the informal recreational field. Parks staff have confidence that there is sufficient space for the uses. The dog park fence line will be at least 240 feet away from home plate. The Recreation Department will be asked not to schedule formal practice or games at this informal field. We hope to encourage soccer to move into this area to and allow for the restoration of the center of the park.

The staff at the Historic District Commission has now reviewed and approved the park alterations. We will begin the process to purchase and install the fencing now and hope to have the fencing installed and the other removed in August. As at the Gano St. dog park, we will continue to monitor the dog park and work with the Friends of Dexter Training Ground group on its success. I appreciate that so many neighbors contacted me about this issue and the thoughtful comments that many of you made. I am also glad that we will continue to work with the Friends group on the installation of 10 new benches they have purchased and other improvements to the park. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Alix R. Ogden, Superintendent

Providence Parks Department

Dalrymple Boathouse

1000 Elmwood Avenue

Providence, RI 02905

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to let people know that we are in the process of installing some great new benches in the Park, some replaced ones that have been broken for a long time, others are in new spots.

Check em out and have a seat!

Baruch Sachs

Friends of Dexter Training Ground

I wanted to let people know that we are in the process of installing some great new benches in the Park, some replaced ones that have been broken for a long time, others are in new spots.

Check em out and have a seat!

Baruch Sachs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hope you are all enjoying your summer!

As you may have noticed, the new trees in Dexter have suffered from the drought recently. We have spoken with Doug Still, the City Forester, about a source of consistent water for the trees. However, one thing that he asked was for help to mulch the trees ASAP to help get water deep into the roots and help the trees retain it.

Since this is a dire need, we were looking at doing this activity this weekend. Saturday morning if possible. I realize this is short notice but the more help we can get the less time it will take. All tools and materials will be provided.

Please let me know if you can help this Saturday at 9am.

Thanks!

Baruch

Archived