Dexter Training Ground

Liamlunchtray

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow... such hatred.

a meeting at 8:30 in the morning on a weekday (which is exactly when the meeting that made the ballfield a dog park took place) doesn't seem very accessible to those of us who have something called a job. i don't spend my life going to meeting after meeting because i need to work for a living.

regarding the school ballfields, in most places i know of, ballfields on school grounds that aren't on public park land tend to be reserved for the school and then closed when school is not in session unless you have permission to use the fields. they are generally not open to general public use. ballfields on public park land are open for general public use.

you also mention little league and school teams. most school teams you must try out for, and unless you're good enough, you won't make the cut. that removes that option for many kids. little league is similar (though it usually accepts all those who try out), but you have to pay to play little league, making it something that those with financial issues can't do (same as going to meetings during the work day or shortly after work when they need to tend to their families).

i got the feeling that the majority of the people advocating for the dog park are younger single or married couples without children. people who have more time available to them and generally have the time to either go into work late after a morning weekday meeting, get out of work early for an afternoon meeting, or don't have kids and families to tend to (or second jobs to go to) to attend an early evening meeting.

you mention actively participating in constructive efforts to get off-leash dog runs in the city, but the only location that you were able to come up with was a baseball field? that doesn't seem too constructive to me.

wow... such hatred.

a meeting at 8:30 in the morning on a weekday (which is exactly when the meeting that made the ballfield a dog park took place) doesn't seem very accessible to those of us who have something called a job. i don't spend my life going to meeting after meeting because i need to work for a living.

regarding the school ballfields, in most places i know of, ballfields on school grounds that aren't on public park land tend to be reserved for the school and then closed when school is not in session unless you have permission to use the fields. they are generally not open to general public use. ballfields on public park land are open for general public use.

you also mention little league and school teams. most school teams you must try out for, and unless you're good enough, you won't make the cut. that removes that option for many kids. little league is similar (though it usually accepts all those who try out), but you have to pay to play little league, making it something that those with financial issues can't do (same as going to meetings during the work day or shortly after work when they need to tend to their families).

i got the feeling that the majority of the people advocating for the dog park are younger single or married couples without children. people who have more time available to them and generally have the time to either go into work late after a morning weekday meeting, get out of work early for an afternoon meeting, or don't have kids and families to tend to (or second jobs to go to) to attend an early evening meeting.

you mention actively participating in constructive efforts to get off-leash dog runs in the city, but the only location that you were able to come up with was a baseball field? that doesn't seem too constructive to me.

Seems to me that there are a lot of people working very hard to find ways to accommodate everyone and resolve this dog park/ball field issue in a way that respects their neighbors and the variety of ways their neighbors use the park. There are a lot of folks trying to work this out amicably. Evil Redhead, your posts above don't exactly portray you as a friendly neighbor or encourage a lot of sympathy for your side of the issue.

I do have a question. when did dog parks become so in vogue? I love dogs. I can't have one myself because I am never home, but I know there are plenty of dogs in plenty of areas that don't get to have a neighborhood leash-free zone. It is a nice benefit, don't get me wrong, etc. etc. etc.

But how has this crossed to the point where dog owners feel an entitlement to such a park? Someone up-thread mentioned how there are about a million other quality of life issues that the city faces but this one in particular seems to draw out a ton of impassioned responses. I'm curious how a leash-free dog park got upgraded from "nice thing to have" to "basic requirement of living" as seems to have happened.

If people don't start being civil in this dog park/ball field discussion, I will start suspending/banning people. There's already been a real world arrest related to this issue, I will mete out punishment here too if I need to.

I do have a question. when did dog parks become so in vogue? I love dogs. I can't have one myself because I am never home, but I know there are plenty of dogs in plenty of areas that don't get to have a neighborhood leash-free zone. It is a nice benefit, don't get me wrong, etc. etc. etc.

But how has this crossed to the point where dog owners feel an entitlement to such a park? Someone up-thread mentioned how there are about a million other quality of life issues that the city faces but this one in particular seems to draw out a ton of impassioned responses. I'm curious how a leash-free dog park got upgraded from "nice thing to have" to "basic requirement of living" as seems to have happened.

Seems to me that there are a lot of people working very hard to find ways to accommodate everyone and resolve this dog park/ball field issue in a way that respects their neighbors and the variety of ways their neighbors use the park. There are a lot of folks trying to work this out amicably. Evil Redhead, your posts above don't exactly portray you as a friendly neighbor or encourage a lot of sympathy for your side of the issue.

If people don't start being civil in this dog park/ball field discussion, I will start suspending/banning people. There's already been a real world arrest related to this issue, I will mete out punishment here too if I need to.

Great. We have a hard enough time managing the dog sh!t in this neighborhood. Now we have to worry about pony sh!t?

(At least ponies are vegetarian, but quantity, not quality, is my concern here. . .)

People who do not clean up after their ponies will be executed publicly in Dexter Training ground, and the executions will be broadcast live on Cox In-Demand Local. The proceedings will be translated into 47 languages so everyone can enjoy the fun in their native tongue.

People who do not clean up after their ponies will be executed publicly in Dexter Training ground, and the executions will be broadcast live on Cox In-Demand Local. The proceedings will be translated into 47 languages so everyone can enjoy the fun in their native tongue.

Where the hell are we going to keep the 11 ponies assigned to the residents of my building? Our yard is small, and can just barely accommodate the 3 cars that we have to park back there. This city's parking regulations are f'ing b*llsh!t! Institute overnight on-street parking, immediately! Do it for the ponies!

Also: Can judge Caprio oversee the executions, please?

Archived