Dexter Training Ground

Liamlunchtray

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused. Are we executing ponies? Or unicorns? And can we get this to coincide with West Side Wednesday evening concerts? I've got my eye on some spiffy beach chairs that I'll buy if there's something worth watching.

I am no dog park historian, but due to this issue I have had to become pretty educated on the issue. Dedicated spaces so that dogs can run off leash first started in the late 70's in California and has since spread to over 900 dog parks nationwide. Its a product of cultural change and thought as to how a dog can be properly exercised, especially in urban environments. It has had some nice side benefits too, fostering friendships and community spirit among humans, reducing crime in previously overrun areas etc.

Dexter is one park where this has happened. Dogs and their owners are credited with being a driving force of positive change in the park. See http://envstudies.brown.edu/thesis/2002/pf...tudy/dexter.htm

For urban communities that have large amounts of dogs, it is being seen as more of a necessity and even something enticing to prospective residents. I hear from a lot of dog owners that have told me one of the reasons for moving to the neghborhood is because of the accessibility of a place to walk their dog off leash.

Just as concepts of the proper way to raise a child change, so does how to properly take care of a companion such as a dog. For the past 30 years there has been a trend towards having dedicated off leash areas. For people without children but a dog or two, the desire to have this type of area can become stronger.

I will agree with Ruchele and say that a lot of people are working on a solution to ensure both types of activities have a place in the park.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!

The WBNA is hosting the Providence Parks Department at their next general meeting on June 5th at 7pm. This is an open, public meeting that anyone can attend regardless if you are a member of WBNA.

Representatives from the Park Department will be presenting their plans to accomadate both dog owners and baseball lovers in the Dexter Training Ground.

Every effort is being made to get the word out to the entire community so they can come and listen to the proposals. If you are interested in this issue, I would encourage you to attend.

Thanks!

Baruch Sachs

Friends of Dexter Training Ground

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!

The WBNA is hosting the Providence Parks Department at their next general meeting on June 5th at 7pm. This is an open, public meeting that anyone can attend regardless if you are a member of WBNA.

Representatives from the Park Department will be presenting their plans to accomadate both dog owners and baseball lovers in the Dexter Training Ground.

Every effort is being made to get the word out to the entire community so they can come and listen to the proposals. If you are interested in this issue, I would encourage you to attend.

Thanks!

Baruch Sachs

Friends of Dexter Training Ground

• 2 weeks later...

Reminder: the WBNA General Meeting is tonight (June 5, 2007) at 7:00pm at WBNA headquarters, 1560 Westminster St.

The topic will be the Dexter Training Ground Dog/Ball park. From WBNA website:

Representatives from the Providence Parks Department will be on hand to discuss plans for accommodating a variety of uses of the Dexter Training Ground Park. They will present two options that integrate both a dog park area and a recreational area for baseball and other activities into separate areas within the 9-acre park. The meeting is open to the public and there will be opportunities for neighbors to express feedback for the plans. Translation services in Spanish will be provided.

Archived