MeadWestvaco Headquarters

wrldcoupe4

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shakman was/is always good at answering those questions...

Right now the hole is being dug. From the looks of the soldier piles, the hole should not be that deep.

(Sorry for disappearing. Work and my stupid health has kept me busy.)

• 2 months later...

Well I think they're done moving dirt around :)

Did you notice any steel work rising at the site, Coupe?

Any action at the Fed deck, and is there still parking for Fed employees in the block now with all the excavation?

I bet that area is going to be a mess during the National Folk Festival.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why MeadWestvaco Chose Richmond

In September, MarketWatch.com said we were the third best metro center for business. In August, we were the sixth best metro area for business opportunities, according to Expansion Management's "Mayor's Challenge" ranking. Also this summer, Policom Corporation ranked us 27th of the nation's 361 metropolitan statistical areas for long-term economic strength. Then, this spring, Foreign Direct Investment Magazine said Richmond was one of North America's top five large cities for best quality of life, human resources, development and investment promotion.

So, seriously, business-wise, what's so great about Greater Richmond?

Stephen R. Scherger probably has the best answer. Scherger is the president of MeadWestvaco's consumer solutions group for the Americas and headed up the corporation's search to find a new city to house its new corporate headquarters.

At a recent luncheon hosted by the Greater Richmond Association for Commercial Real Estate (GRACRE), Scherger outlined the process of how MeadWestvaco chose Richmond for its new converged home and why the area is such a great place to do business.

I was worried that M/WV construction would severely constrict the recent Folk Festival. But thankfully, it did not, as 175,000 visitors can attest.

I left my suggestion at one of the information desks about hoisting flags up those damned naked poles (they claim they are "vents", but each one has pulleys to haul up banners). And, wonder of wonders (considering the drought), the 7th Street fountain was flowing beautifully. :)

I also suggested they consider bringing up a couple of canal boats for next year's festival. And I'm happy to say they all agreed with me at the information booth and wrote down my suggestions for submission to whoever runs the festival.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Work is definitely progressing on site with the installation of caissons to support the new structure. Also, the parking lot on the footprint of the proposed Fed Reserve parking deck is completely empty (their other parking lots nearby are full), leading me to believe that work might begin soon on the deck as well.

Work is definitely progressing on site with the installation of caissons to support the new structure. Also, the parking lot on the footprint of the proposed Fed Reserve parking deck is completely empty (their other parking lots nearby are full), leading me to believe that work might begin soon on the deck as well.

I believe we read that the cupolas from the old State Penitentiary have been put back in moth balls and will not be used on the Fed parking deck. :)

I'd like to see the new design.

Caisson installation continues at the Meadwestvaco Headquarters site. See Ryan's most recent set of photos at RCW for a photographic update. Still nothing rising out of the ground.

The fed parking lot where the new parking deck will rise has remained empty... perhaps something is imminent ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gilligan talks about Mead WestVaco in his "retail" collumn today. He quotes a M/WV spokesperson as saying "Right now we're still on schedule for the base building to be completed in Sept. '09 and interior to be completed by Dec. '09."

Wow. That place is going to take forever to build. It just amazes me that, considering it small size, the MWV headquarters is going to take 2+ years to build! Crazy, I tell you!

Wow. That place is going to take forever to build. It just amazes me that, considering it small size, the MWV headquarters is going to take 2+ years to build! Crazy, I tell you!

Let's just remind everyone what this building is supposed to look like:

1206_mead.jpg

Different angles:

untitledle5.png

Yep, 2+ years to build...that.

And in 2 years downtown we will be welcoming another Fortune 500 company named Meadwestvaco... I fail to see what's wrong with it when the alternative was a Meadwestvaco out in Innsbrook or West Creek. Heck, they could take 3 more years to build their HQ... they'll be down there for decades.

300,000 SF isn't exactly a small building.

Archived