MeadWestvaco Headquarters

wrldcoupe4

And in 2 years downtown we will be welcoming another Fortune 500 company named Meadwestvaco... I fail to see what's wrong with it when the alternative was a Meadwestvaco out in Innsbrook or West Creek. Heck, they could take 3 more years to build their HQ... they'll be down there for decades.

300,000 SF isn't exactly a small building.

Coupe, you took my comments for something far more sinister than I was trying to project. I'm totally glad MWV is coming downtown. I just can't believe that it's gonna take so long to build their building! It just seems kinda slow to me. Heck, I can't wait until MWV moves downtown. If anything, I wish they'd hurry up with their construction so they can move downtown sooner! I don't know, perhaps it is a large building (just not tall) - I've just seen structures similar in size be completed in a lot less time. Maybe I'm wrong. :dontknow:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coupe, you took my comments for something far more sinister than I was trying to project. I'm totally glad MWV is coming downtown. I just can't believe that it's gonna take so long to build their building! It just seems kinda slow to me. Heck, I can't wait until MWV moves downtown. If anything, I wish they'd hurry up with their construction so they can move downtown sooner! I don't know, perhaps it is a large building (just not tall) - I've just seen structures similar in size be completed in a lot less time. Maybe I'm wrong. :dontknow:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Since construction layout work has begun on the adjacent parking deck to the MWV site, I would assume that the timetable includes the deck as well as the headquarters building. These 2 separate projects will ultimately be built at the same time as well as grading and improving the "green" parcels surrounding the site. Also, the caissons are being dug to bedrock and that takes a little time. Like the Grateful Dead's album title, this site will be "Built to Last".

How long did the federal courthouse take? That building had a bugger of a layout with curved interior walls and tight tolerances for steel work. I think that was another 2-year project.

The Philip Morris research building seems like a comparible size and structural design to MeadWestVaco. I was about to say that it went up rather quickly, but I believe its construction time was also around two years (with pre-fabricated parking garage).

The Philip Morris research building seems like a comparible size and structural design to MeadWestVaco. I was about to say that it went up rather quickly, but I believe its construction time was also around two years (with pre-fabricated parking garage).

OK, OK, OK you all are making your point...I was wrong, but it still seems like a long time to build such a building. I think that the Philip Morris building is bigger, right? :dontknow:

OK, OK, OK you all are making your point...I was wrong, but it still seems like a long time to build such a building. I think that the Philip Morris building is bigger, right? :dontknow:

It is, by about 150,000 SF, but probably on an easier foundation.

• 2 weeks later...

Two tower cranes are going up. One is already up and the other has the tower part up but missing the crane as of noon today.

That's awesome. If Centennial gets going we could see two more joining that part of the skyline. If tomorrow's forecast turns out to be as good as projected, I'm headed downtown to get some pics out.

Thanks Coupe! :thumbsup: These photos are actually nice! I like the sight of two cranes in the skyline. I wish that they were going to be extended in height, but that won't likely happen unless a miracle happens and MWV opts for a tall, thinner building. :shades: Coupe, you've made my day!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This building is rising slowly, it will be a poured concrete structure. They are still on the parking deck levels.

Perhaps it will be post-tension once above the parking garage level. Then things would speed thing along.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived