MeadWestvaco Headquarters

wrldcoupe4

According to "Ryan" on RCW, both tower cranes are being removed from the site. Just as I thought, the rest of structure will be steel. The last time I was walked past the site, I noticed anchor bolts capping the concrete columns for the garage portion.

A crawler crane(s) maybe used to erect the steel though I have seen tower cranes for steel structures. Perhaps the numbers did not support the continous use of tower cranes. In most instances, tower cranes cost more than crawlers.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at Picture #2, it appears that the Fed deck does not extend to 7th street. Will there be some sort of park or courtyard on the corner of 7th and Byrd?

That's because they are still building it eastward. I think it should end up pretty close to 7th.

Well you beat me to it. Then again mine were from 6/14 when they were just starting with the steel. They're really going fast.

Burt, the deck doesn't extend all the way to 5th St either. So far too it looks like the wall of the old building on the site is still standing on Byrd. They knocked a hole in it on 5th. If they're not taking up the whole plot, I could see a nice slim building on the corner. And I found a flag pic I had forgotten.

100_8953.jpg

Visually, I can say that it makes downtown feel more like a real downtown to look across Kanawha Plaza and see more buildings. As much as I liked my views of the river, that infill will give some much needed density around that portion of downtown. I'm still perplexed as to how to incorporate those buildings into downtown given the Downtown Expressway's location. We really need to cover the Expressway down there.

Well you beat me to it. Then again mine were from 6/14 when they were just starting with the steel. They're really going fast.

Burt, the deck doesn't extend all the way to 5th St either. So far too it looks like the wall of the old building on the site is still standing on Byrd. They knocked a hole in it on 5th. If they're not taking up the whole plot, I could see a nice slim building on the corner. And I found a flag pic I had forgotten.

100_8953.jpg

Ahhhhhh! That's a nice shot. Those flags make such a difference.

Visually, I can say that it makes downtown feel more like a real downtown to look across Kanawha Plaza and see more buildings. As much as I liked my views of the river, that infill will give some much needed density around that portion of downtown. I'm still perplexed as to how to incorporate those buildings into downtown given the Downtown Expressway's location. We really need to cover the Expressway down there.

With two parking decks and the M/W tower taking up about half of the huge lot bounded by 5th, 7th, Byrd and Tredegar streets, what will happen to the remaining space? Will it be landscaped parkland, or an open-air car park?

With two parking decks and the M/W tower taking up about half of the huge lot bounded by 5th, 7th, Byrd and Tredegar streets, what will happen to the remaining space? Will it be landscaped parkland, or an open-air car park?

What I do know is that it will eventually be developed in the long term. From the MWV renderings, it appears it will be landscaped for the time being.

What I do know is that it will eventually be developed in the long term. From the MWV renderings, it appears it will be landscaped for the time being.

I think the Fed deck will have a Green Space permanently around it - for Federal Clear Zone Regulations - since the structure is part of a National Security Complex...

The portion behind MeadWestVaco heading along 5th St is slated to become a NICE park.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived