MeadWestvaco Headquarters

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Signage is starting to go up on the south facing side of the building as well. It could have been taller, but I do like the look of this building finished.

For some reason I was thinkng that it would a blue colored light.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This place turned out really nice. I like the gym at street level with views of the river. Looks like they are treating their employees well plus it's nice that they put the "life" in the building at or close to street level. The cafeteria is on the second floor also facing the river. So folks visiting the Canal walk will see some life going on in MWV. I can't think of any other building downtown that has the employees so visible. I like it! Even though they are not going to be on the Canal Walk, it will make the area look more lively.

• 2 weeks later...

The building is a great addition to the city skyline... the lights are an insult to the nightscape, totally upstaging the other buildings lit for the holidays. MWV is proud of their decision to move to downtown Richmond, and in a recent public forum, commented on their extraordinary views...Too bad they do not seem to care about their neighbors' views of downtown....It looks like a gas station in front of an otherwise beautiful city skyline - Ethyl, the War Memorial...Why won't MWV dim those lights? Why can't the city do something about it?

I saw the piece Mark Holmberg did on complaints from Oregon Hill... the only people complaining. The replies to the piece were so far in favor of the light. I also like the light and wish Richmond had more. Vistas' lights were neat and they let them burn out so that maybe one or two were working and it looked so ugly and tacky. I miss the white lights on the Central National Bank building as well as the Philip Morris multi-colored lighting... although they did do red and green for Christmas. Richmond's skyline is way too dark compared to that of other cities and it's about time we had someone step up the game. They're not trying to outdo, they're trying to set a standard. I hope the people of Oregon Hill go back to finding more meaningful things to complain about.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Critic Edwin Slipek, Jr. of Style Weekly is not very kind in his appraisal of the new Mead WestVaco mini-tower at the foot of South 7th Street.

http://styleweekly.c...038EC51F03BB426

I guess I don't completely disagree with him, though. Its a decent building, so I won't complain about it too much, but it seems very underwhelming given the location. I think I would have prefered it up on Broad Street or something. Perhaps in the surface lot between to City Hall and Sanger Hall or something (though of course that might not be compatable with the street-level retail/mixed-use model they've been pushing for that area).

In its current location it looks more like the unfinished podium/base of a yet-to-be-completed tower as opposed to a complete project itself.

You need to upload the photos to a photo hosting site, like flickr or photobucket, first.

Gad492, I believe there is something in the bylaws of Urban Planet that requires a certain number of postings before being allowed to put up pics/graphics, etc., but I'm not sure.

I note from your profile that you just joined Urban Planet.

Don't give up, gad.

And welcome to the Richmond site.

Archived