House Speaker Kills Marriage Amendment Bill

suburban george3

^ That's a good point. I'm straight and most of my friends are straight. They span the spectrum from liberal to conservative. One thing they have in common is that they couldn't careless about gay marriage. There is no controversy to them. I'll never forget the sight in high school of one guy declaring he was gay and a group of his redneck friends going "yeah man, that's cool. There is nothing wrong with that." Point is young people don't care. The conservatives are simply putting off the inevitable.

Wouldn't really hold Florida up though, considering homosexuals are barred from adopting children.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ One would hope. I'm tired of institutionalized discrimination being masked as family values in order to get conservative voters to the polls to vote in other conservative candidates. It's offensive.

Oh TLT, I vacationed in your city last week. What an absolutely magnificent city.

The Libertarian approach to gay rights seems interesting, although they vary on things to a point the gist of it seems to be "leave the government out of marriage" and leave it up to the Churches or private instituations. Of course that wouldn't go over too well with people and would be seen as interdering with the "sanctity of marriage". Other Libertarians believe in gay marriage but do not support anti-discrimination laws for private institutions , hate crime laws... yet are strongly opposed to sodomy laws.

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with that position, but it's interesting to note that Barry Goldwater nicknamed "Mr. Conservative" had some libertarian social views and was not to keen on the religious right... He got a lot of votes in states like Alabama (Of course he was also against some civil rights bill so I'm not condoning that)...

What I'm trying to get at is that maybe some of the Libertarian or "classical conservative" perspectives on things can bring some hope for equal rights in the more conservative parts of the country. This way gays would have their freedom...Yet religious conservatives won't be able to say that they are forced to accept what they see as sinful. I'm not saying I have this is the answer or that I want the govt. to do away with marriage...I'm just thinking out loud.

I think many of these socail issues would make more progress and be less divisive if only people would think beyond the conservative/liberal paradigm (which the media and political punditry on both sides keeps pushing).

Archived