New RSA Headquarters

Southron

The Retirement Systems of Alabama is building a new $100 million+, 8-story headquarters downtown. The structure topped out on March 5th, and is scheduled for completion in spring 2008.

The 280,000-square-foot complex will consolidate RSA employees and open up more first-class office space downtown. The lower four floors will be leased initially, and the former RSA headquarters building across the street will be available for lease after RSA moves into the new building.

RSA_HQ.jpg

The current HQ:

RSA_HQ2-1.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, i really like what DB and the RSA have done for this state. but now that we have the building frenzy down, isn't it time mr. B began focusing on what his buildings could be doing better at street level?

aside from the fact that fortress-style design is never good for the life of the block on which the offending building sits, there's also the matter of government buildings (especially federal ones) following a trend of shutting out its constituency (i.e., the public). the fearful will say that's a blessing and provides security; i'm on the other side of that one. a democratic republic needs a visible culture of openness to match its ideology of freedom. this ain't doin' it.

then again, it is just a retirement building.

I like the med rise theme for MGM but definately believe they they should have used the street levels for retail of govt services so they get more walk in traffic. They buildings do have sterile look and are not inviting, but as long as more people work in downtown they won't be spread out all of MGM maybe some of that money saved from soon-to-be four dollar gas will stay downtown!

I like the med rise theme for MGM but definately believe they they should have used the street levels for retail of govt services so they get more walk in traffic. They buildings do have sterile look and are not inviting, but as long as more people work in downtown they won't be spread out all of MGM maybe some of that money saved from soon-to-be four dollar gas will stay downtown!

I agree that the RSA buildings should have been designed with street-level uses, and employees encouraged to participate in downtown street life. I think their buildings have cafeterias inside (I know some of them do), so there are all these office workers who park in the nearby deck each morning, go straight to work, eat lunch in the cafeteria, finish work and then go straight to their cars for the drive home. Too many of these workers don't spend any money or do anything at all downtown.

I hope they hire someone with a clue about urban design for their next project.

lunch trolley? is that a transit trolley that runs at lunch time? or a carry-out food kiosk inside a stationary (or mobile) trolley they're planning to set up somewhere?

come to think of it, a 'lunch trolley' that moves around town like an ice cream truck and sells food from 11-2 wouldn't be a bad idea. kinda a dignified version of all these sketchy taco trailers you see running around tucson and every other town out west.

lunch trolley? is that a transit trolley that runs at lunch time? or a carry-out food kiosk inside a stationary (or mobile) trolley they're planning to set up somewhere?

come to think of it, a 'lunch trolley' that moves around town like an ice cream truck and sells food from 11-2 wouldn't be a bad idea. kinda a dignified version of all these sketchy taco trailers you see running around tucson and every other town out west.

• 4 weeks later...
I am getting somewhat tired of his architectural styles. They're beginng to look like fancy jails - all too much the same. Why does he continue to build RSA buildings if he doesn't keep RSA presence in them? Maybe he's the one that should be putting buildings down on lower Dexter, Commerce, Montgomery or Court streets!

Concur, but unfortunatley, I don't see RSA support small business much with their usual construction methods. Do they own the Dexter deck? The owner should do as you suggest in a nice modern style fitting in with the climate and MGMs archtectural style.

^ Yes, that is the parking deck for the RSA Tower. There's a good rendering of a suggested mixed-use liner building for it in the downtown master plan. Each of the RSA buildings in MGM has its own parking deck, except for two that share a deck.

• 1 month later...

Late July 2007 construction update:

RSA_hq_7-28-1.jpg

Looks like a plaza similar to the one on the north side of the Montgomery RSA Tower.

RSA_hq_7-28-e.jpg

Crown details are taking shape

RSA_hq_crown1.jpg

Green roof on the crown

RSA_hq_green.jpg

RSA row (cell phone camera quality, unfortunately)

RSA_Three.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived