Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

My Car Disaster

7 posts in this topic

Got some really bad news today. About three or so weeks ago my car started making a odd rattleing noise from the front. I ended up doing a bit of traveling these past few weeks, and in between them I was never able to schedule my car so it could be looked at. Well, this weekend ( I was intending on bringing it to the garage on Tuesday) it died on me. I just had it looked at - apparently it was the pulley to my water pump which failed. Normally not catastrophic, BUT... it ended up chewing into my timing chain cover. Which to replace involves taking the whole engine out of the car and takiing it apart. Cost - about $3500, on a car that is worth $4000 and that I owe $4500 on!

So the moral of the story - when you hear a rattle, have it checked right away!

Got some really bad news today. About three or so weeks ago my car started making a odd rattleing noise from the front. I ended up doing a bit of traveling these past few weeks, and in between them I was never able to schedule my car so it could be looked at. Well, this weekend ( I was intending on bringing it to the garage on Tuesday) it died on me. I just had it looked at - apparently it was the pulley to my water pump which failed. Normally not catastrophic, BUT... it ended up chewing into my timing chain cover. Which to replace involves taking the whole engine out of the car and takiing it apart. Cost - about $3500, on a car that is worth $4000 and that I owe $4500 on!

So the moral of the story - when you hear a rattle, have it checked right away!

You know, I have some friends in TN who might could arrange to have something 'happen' to that car....

you do have full insurance coverage... right??? :ph34r:

Unless the timing chain cover is hitting the timing chain, there's no reason to replace it, generally.

Granted I'm no Saab expert, but I'd dang sure get a second opinion on that.

It's not the timing chain - it's the pulley that runs the water pump. It sits on the side of the timing chain cover, and as it goes (it wobbles wildly out of control) it starts cutting into the side. So this minor little thing, when left unchecked, ends up being a whole huge issue.

I am taking it to a garage today - they think it might not have worn completely through, meaning the timing chain is Ok. The problem THEN becomes - where did all this oil come from?