Montgomery Riverwalk

Southron

The first phase of the Riverwalk (along the Alabama River) is under construction downtown, right across the railroad tracks from the minor league baseball stadium. The project includes a multilevel riverwalk, two amphitheaters, restrooms, a police precinct office, an observation tower, riverboat landing, and more. Eventually, the riverwalk is to be extended to Maxwell AFB to the west and to the Montgomery Marina to the east.

Riverwalk Plan:

Riverwalk_plan.jpg

---

The first phase is nearing completion, and the waterfront area is open to foot traffic for the first time in several years. There is still some paving left to do, and some work to complete a pavilion. Floating docks will be available for both commercial boats and personal watercraft.

Montgomery Advertiser article and photo gallery

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice. thanks for all these pics. one thing i'll wonder (until i drive over and see it firsthand) is whether current traffic patterns and land uses in the immediate area would lead one to expect to find all of this here. i remember being in montgomery a few years back and really not having any idea that the riverfront was so near - to be a river city, it has never felt like one, especially in the downtown / capitol area. it would be a shame for the riverfront to see this much improvement and yet be somewhat hidden from the uninitiated.

and where's the retail? is that on its way?

nice. thanks for all these pics. one thing i'll wonder (until i drive over and see it firsthand) is whether current traffic patterns and land uses in the immediate area would lead one to expect to find all of this here. i remember being in montgomery a few years back and really not having any idea that the riverfront was so near - to be a river city, it has never felt like one, especially in the downtown / capitol area. it would be a shame for the riverfront to see this much improvement and yet be somewhat hidden from the uninitiated.

and where's the retail? is that on its way?

The new developments in the riverfront area -- baseball park, Renaissance Hotel, intermodal center, a park/square planned between the hotel and Union Station, a proposed parking deck next to the ballpark, mixed-use lofts -- along with existing restaurants and the visitors' center in Union Station should serve to pull more people into the area. You can bet that all that stuff will be heavily marketed to future visitors as well. I can see your point, though. One can be walking or driving down Dexter Ave from the capitol and not have any idea that the river is just a few blocks away.

I'm not sure about retail on the riverwalk. According to the mayor, it may eventually connect to some new retail and dining developments along the eastern bank.

In the Independent:

STILL ROLLING ON THE RIVER

Construction is quickly ramping to full-speed on the next phase of development of Montgomery Riverwalk, a key component of the multi-phase, multi-year riverfront revitalization project in downtown Montgomery.

Currently under construction is a new walkway that will provide both pedestrian and vehicle access from the Coosa Street entrance to the existing Amphitheater stage located on the river. The walkway will run along the grassy edge of the Amphitheater area and connect to a paved terrace that is being built behind and on both sides of the stage. The terrace will provide additional support areas for stage events as well as a spot for enjoying river views.

The new walkway construction will temporarily close the Amphitheater, Welcome Terrace and Riverwalk Splashpad to the public. A date for the reopening of these venues has not been announced but is expected sometime in late spring or early summer 2006.

The Riverfront Facilities Department is currently planning and scheduling a full slate of events for the 2006 season including concerts, summer film festival series, trade shows and ...(more)."

Hope the MGM cops are vigilent down there. Good place for bicycle or segway cops to patrol from their new substation

In the Independent:

STILL ROLLING ON THE RIVER

A date for the reopening of these venues has not been announced but is expected sometime in late spring or early summer 2006.

is this a typo? an old article? opening the river to greater general access is something montgomery really needs, so this is good news if it's current.

is this a typo? an old article? opening the river to greater general access is something montgomery really needs, so this is good news if it's current.

That is an old article, but all that stuff is open now (reopened to the public this spring), and there are free concerts at the new amphitheater on Thursday evenings.

That is an old article, but all that stuff is open now (reopened to the public this spring), and there are free concerts at the new amphitheater on Thursday evenings.

Sorry about the old article. I followed a thread to the Independant and the date was not correct.

I am glad that the area is opened up but from the few pics I have seen, humans don't yet seem to be in the equation. Are people allowed to enter routinely and walk along the area? Is there police presence? While the river walk is pleasant, It desparately needs a commercial/restaurant presence, while at the same time taking cues other similar projects it must grow on its own as the city facilitates this growth with zoning for complementary structures. Best example is San Antonio Riverwalk, but only as an example of what can be done as their river is no comparison to the Alabama river, but at the same was in the middle of downtown with preexisting structures on both sides in many areas. Additionally artificial backwater (fake river) has been created allowing paths to extend to other more desirable venues (additional restaurants, statiums, hotels, and lately a new mall). Granted that SA is a much bigger city, but MGM could support similar development, perhaps through grants. Again take a cure from SA's Riverwalk as the climate is very similar to MGM. Shade landscaping is imperative for that area to thrive. Only a fool or a sorority tanning babe would site on the current design on a mid-summers day! Finally, I would submit the as much of Jubilee, if it continues should be placed down there and in the train shed to "socialize" people to a river asset that all but the fishermen and bums had abandoned long ago.

I am glad that the area is opened up but from the few pics I have seen, humans don't yet seem to be in the equation. Are people allowed to enter routinely and walk along the area? Is there police presence? While the river walk is pleasant, It desparately needs a commercial/restaurant presence, while at the same time taking cues other similar projects it must grow on its own as the city facilitates this growth with zoning for complementary structures. Best example is San Antonio Riverwalk, but only as an example of what can be done as their river is no comparison to the Alabama river, but at the same was in the middle of downtown with preexisting structures on both sides in many areas. Additionally artificial backwater (fake river) has been created allowing paths to extend to other more desirable venues (additional restaurants, statiums, hotels, and lately a new mall). Granted that SA is a much bigger city, but MGM could support similar development, perhaps through grants. Again take a cure from SA's Riverwalk as the climate is very similar to MGM. Shade landscaping is imperative for that area to thrive. Only a fool or a sorority tanning babe would site on the current design on a mid-summers day! Finally, I would submit the as much of Jubilee, if it continues should be placed down there and in the train shed to "socialize" people to a river asset that all but the fishermen and bums had abandoned long ago.

The photos that I posted above were actually taken before it was reopened to the public. It's open now, but still under construction, so people are mostly coming down to check out the progress. The silo above is a police sub-station, but I don't think it's operational yet. A retail/restaurant area is planned, but that development won't begin until after the hotel is open. Residential and mixed-use developments are planned for the riverbank to the east, but I don't know when those would break ground. It will be a few years before the riverwalk is completed all the way to the marina.

I'm with you on the lack of shade. I don't know what else is planned, but shade trees and more overhead cover are badly needed. I assume some benches are on the way, but it's still not finished yet so I guess we'll see. Some kind of mini-playground or sandbox for kids would help as well. Every time I've been on Savannah's riverwalk the circular sandbox was full of kids and the seating ledge around it was full of parents taking a break and eating or drinking. Hopefully something like that is on the way.

These photos are more recent, taken since the gates reopened. Like many of my more recent pics, these were taken with a cell phone camera so the quality may be a little iffy.

Rvrwalk19.jpg

Rvrwalk15.jpg

Rvrwalk11.jpg

New amphitheater

Rvrwalk20.jpg

Rvrwalk13.jpg

Old amphitheater

Rvrwalk22.jpg

Rvrwalk21.jpg

Rvrwalk12.jpg

The riverwalk will eventually extend to the marina, pretty much where the big boats are to the left of the smokestack

Rvrwalk17.jpg

Still under construction to the west toward the future observation tower

Rvrwalk16.jpg

Rvrwalk23.jpg

The riverwalk will eventually extend westward to Maxwell AFB, beyond the I-65 bridge in this photo

Rvrwalk10.jpg

The plan in post #1 calls for retail/restaurants in this area

FutureRetail.jpg

Welcome terrace and pergola

Rvrwalk14.jpg

City officials say that there are no plans for seating in this phase of the riverwalk. This is just plain dumb. Who would build a major public park and not include benches so people can sit down? It's not clear whether seating will be included in future phases.

In the article a city official mentions a 181-ft. pedestrian bridge from the intermodal parking deck to the 200-ft. tall observation tower (200 feet above the river?). The article includes some info about the history of the project as well.

Montgomery Advertiser: Riverwalk projects lack seating

City officials say that there are no plans for seating in this phase of the riverwalk. This is just plain dumb. Who would build a major public park and not included benches so people can sit down? It's not clear whether seating will be included in future phases.

In the article a city official mentions a 181-ft. pedestrian bridge from the intermodal parking deck to the 200-ft. tall observation tower (200 feet above the river?). The article includes some info about the history of the project as well.

Montgomery Advertiser: Riverwalk projects lack seating

Probably don't want to give homeless a place to sleep or encourage PDA on park benches?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Riverwalk expansion is back on track after delays due to running into underground rocks up to 40 feet in diameter. The current $3.6 million phase includes a 625-foot walkway and the foundation for a tower and pedestrian overpass that will go over the train tracks. The next phase, estimated to cost $5 million, will include the pedestrian overpass, which will connect to the new intermodal facility, and the observation tower.

Montgomery Advertiser: Riverwalk path back on course

• 2 months later...

The Cypress Inlet area (see the Riverwalk plan in post #1) could be transformed into a "naturalistic" garden of wild flowers, fountains, extended walkways, newly planted trees and a wooden bridge. The Montgomery Tree Committee is spearheading an effort to beautify area, and has graduate students from Auburn's School of Landscape Architecture and Piet Oudolf, a world-renowned landscape designer from the Netherlands, working on a master plan for the project. Earlier this month, Auburn landscape students held a charrette at the site. Renderings will likely be available in late March.

Montgomery Independent: Cypress Inlet beautification plan underway

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

HOw long is the overall length of the walk? Is it about a quarter mile yet?

I don't believe it will be that long when the construction underway is completed. I'd guess that it'll be around 500-600 ft. or so when the current phase is done.

• 4 weeks later...

The Montgomery Riverfront Development Foundation plans to buy a $500,000 400-passenger riverboat that would be docked at the Riverwalk. The city council will vote on a resolution to approve the purchase, and the boat may be available for rides as early as this fall. Montgomery has been without a riverboat since the 150-passenger Betsy Ann left in 2002 because of construction along the riverfront.

Montgomery close to getting a new riverboat

• 2 weeks later...

The Montgomery City Council approved the Montgomery Riverfront Development Foundation's purchase of a $500,000 riverboat and it should be moved from its current berth in Savannah to the riverfront by late August. The foundation will own the boat and lease it to an operator.

400-seat riverboat coming in August

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The new riverboat, renamed the Harriott II, has been refurbished and is on its way from Savannah to Montgomery. The boat is named for the steamboat Harriott, the first riverboat to steam upriver from Mobile to Montgomery to pick up a shipment of cotton, back in 1821.

Montgomery Riverboat On Its Way (with video)

Harriott II enters most dangerous stretch of journey

Montgomery's riverboat honors steamboat

From a Mobile newspaper, ca. 1822:

Harriott.gif