The Village At Brodie Creek

This project was originally scheduled to be presented to the Planning Commission on May 24th, but has been deferred to the July 5th public hearing. Nevertheless, many details can be gleaned from the item on the current agenda, even without an official description.

The site plan indicates an open-air (of course) commercial complex of slightly greater than 500,000 square feet on 82 acres of land at the northwest corner of Colonel Glenn and I-430. Around 400,000 square feet of the space will be reserved for retail, while another 24,000 square feet is slated for restaurant out-parcels. Additionally, a four-story, 75,000 square foot hotel is planned for the southeastern section of the complex, close to where the access road meets Colonel Glenn. There are four large lots on the western side of the plan that will remain undeveloped, (For future retail?) The retail complex will run northward from the hotel, parallel to I-430, and then turn westward towards Bowman Road. The site plan text is blurry, but it appears that the two biggest retail pads will be 85,000 and 67,500 square feet. I have a copy of the original Village site plan from a few years ago, and the layout is very similar.

This makes the third attempt at developing the Village. Word is that Flake/Kelley and Jim Dailey are teaming up for this proposal, but the developer on the agenda is CGBRD 1 LLC. Perhaps, there

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also don't have to attend a Dollar General store, but I'd be pissed if one was going into the Promenade at Chenal.

The area around the Rave will be prime location in the future and I wish there was a way to be more selective about establishments in the area.

1. Nicest Movie Complex in the state

2. Mercedes

3. Land Rover/ Jaguar

4. Infiniti

5. New Hotel, restaurants, and shopping center

6. ...crappy pizza arcade

Rave is a movie theater..nothing "fancy" about such a place. And the others...their CAR DEALERSHIPS! I don't care if they are Yugo or Mercedes, it "ain't" a destination of elegance unless it's a Bentley or Ferrari. To me, this fits right in with that, ESPECIALLY in light of Rave being there. There's nothing to get all prima donna over in that area. It's a fine area and my guess is that the crappy pizza arcade will serve it well.

For what its worth, there is already one of those youth party places that have all the inflatable jumpy obstacle things. I've taken my daughters to several parties there. There is also a climbing gym. The perception I have is that the Pizza venue will fit right in with what has already been developed. A new McDonalds with a large Play Place would also fit.

I agree totally. This area has loads of things that fit with this. The gas station/fast food joint as well. Then, across the street, there's more of the same and Shackelford Crossing has Super Wal-Mart, Pennies, etc. I agree with the position that this pizza place won't improve things, but it won't degrade either. It's a good fit, regardless of whether I ever go there.

I also don't have to attend a Dollar General store, but I'd be pissed if one was going into the Promenade at Chenal.

The area around the Rave will be prime location in the future and I wish there was a way to be more selective about establishments in the area.

1. Nicest Movie Complex in the state

2. Mercedes

3. Land Rover/ Jaguar

4. Infiniti

5. New Hotel, restaurants, and shopping center

6. ...crappy pizza arcade

Obviously my sentiment is not shared by many on here, but the point I'm trying to make is that , I'm tired of seeing areas of new growth (retail/ restaurant) in LR turn out so underwhelming. The bar is set too low and Playtime Pizza is a perfect example. I believe this area is still establishing it's reputation and I don't want establishments on the same level as Playtime Pizza taking over this area too.

Obviously my sentiment is not shared by many on here, but the point I'm trying to make is that , I'm tired of seeing areas of new growth (retail/ restaurant) in LR turn out so underwhelming. The bar is set too low and Playtime Pizza is a perfect example. I believe this area is still establishing it's reputation and I don't want establishments on the same level as Playtime Pizza taking over this area too.

I share the sentiment about the new developments. Was it you who went to the Gateway in Salt Lake City? I posted that I would trade all the new developments for one development like the Gateway. It is truly mixed use, multifamily, retail, etc..

The Shackleford/ Col Glen/ I-430 area may be 'still establishing it's reputation,' but it has NOT been marketed as high-end. It has been market more as place to develop like the McCain Mall area (not an actual Mall though). Chain restaurants, Auto Dealer Ships, big box retail, etc.

Agreed. Again, since when did "Playtime Pizza" become some horrendous development any different that all the other junk being propogated out west (or anywhere suburban America for that matter). Seriously. So this is worse than Jiffy Lube, Church's Chicken, or 7 Eleven? This is an outparcel standing on its own, not a part of some grand development. I really don't follow. As if there were some great precedent at Colonel Glen? Ha!

I want a glorious mixed use development with a nice multiplex theater, offices, lofts, many restaurants, upscale ground-floor retail and for this to be done in a dense way with parking decks and maximum use of space.

I just see this on the old University site or maybe even in or near downtown, not on Col Glenn. Col Glenn probably isn't going to be the new Pleasant Valley or Chenal.

• 9 months later...

It appears that the Village At Brodie Creek is being reduced in size, based on plans that came before the LR Planning Commission, a couple of weeks ago. Instead of a mainly commercial center of 500,000 square feet, the developers were given approval for a revised office/retail complex of 262,600 square feet. The 75,000 square foot hotel is still a part of the development, and there will be 15,300 square feet of restaurant space. The sketch that accompanied the item looks completely different from the original design, last year. It looks like the developers are emphasizing office space more than retail space.

It appears that the Village At Brodie Creek is being reduced in size, based on plans that came before the LR Planning Commission, a couple of weeks ago. Instead of a mainly commercial center of 500,000 square feet, the developers were given approval for a revised office/retail complex of 262,600 square feet. The 75,000 square foot hotel is still a part of the development, and there will be 15,300 square feet of restaurant space. The sketch that accompanied the item looks completely different from the original design, last year. It looks like the developers are emphasizing office space more than retail space.

• 2 months later...

The Village at Brodie Creek will definitely be taking on a different appearance from the original design of a large open-air shopping center, if developers receive approval at the May 22nd planning commission meeting. Crain Automotive plans to place three dealerships on three lots that will essentially be bordered to the east by I-430, north of the Colonel Glenn exit. The lots will be approximately 7 acres apiece and will sit adjacent to one another in a north-south axis. Customers will access the dealerships via two new roads

The Village at Brodie Creek will definitely be taking on a different appearance from the original design of a large open-air shopping center, if developers receive approval at the May 22nd planning commission meeting. Crain Automotive plans to place three dealerships on three lots that will essentially be bordered to the east by I-430, north of the Colonel Glenn exit. The lots will be approximately 7 acres apiece and will sit adjacent to one another in a north-south axis. Customers will access the dealerships via two new roads

Archived