BOXING: DE LA HOYA vs. MAYWEATHER

Panamaniac

De la Hoya vs. Mayweather  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Did you see the fight?

• Yes
    • No

If you saw the fight? Do you think it has, or will restore interest in Boxing as in the days of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Tyson, Leonard, Duran, Hagler, Hearns, etc.? What's your take?

Personally, I think the pre-fight hype did more for boxing than the fight itself. It failed to live-up to the hype. It was an interesting tactical fight, but while the fighters brought their defense to the ring, they left their offense in the gym. Many touted it as the fight that will "save" boxing, but it hasn't, nor will it.

What Boxing needs is a Tysonesque knockout artist to recapture the imagination of the public. It needs a proverbial "villain" who talks trash (a la Ali) and backs it up with his fists. What it doesn't need is any more bouts between powder-puff punchers of opposing stances who waltz and awkwardly step on each other's toes for 12 rounds to await a split decision or a draw. There are way too many of these turkeys contributing to the demise of 'the manly art of self defense.'

In sports, people gravitate toward the "big bang." People want to see the toughdown or the homerun. Boxing needs a fella who can knock his opponent on his ass! With stunning consistency...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Middle Weight division just got alot more interesting!!! Last Saturday Night peeked my interest more in boxing once again!!! Want BIG BANG BOXING???

The HBO Main Event "Middle Weight" champ Jermain Taylor/Corey Spinks fight that was a yawner with the crowd booing bec. Spinks ran the entire fight...... Jermain Taylor remained champ with the easy win.

It was the fight before the main event on HBO! If you missed it??? You need to see the hardcore slobberknocker on replay? with two men throwing death blows! Serious "power" shots from both fighters! That was the "real" Main Event!!!

>>>"Middle Weight" *Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik*<<< of Youngstown Ohio; 25 years old is NOW 31-0 with 28 KO's after an AWESOME 7th Round "Knock-Out" of Columbian bad ass Edison Miranda who was 28-1 with 24 KO's before getting BLASTED!

Pre-fight press conference actually had Miranda calling out Taylor at the microphone; saying he would destroy Pavlik then whoop Taylor. Needless to say a Jermain Taylor vs. Kelly Pavlik Fight will happen and you won't want to miss that one!!!

* Long-time Promoter Bob Arum said the Pavlik/Miranda fight last Sat. night was reminescent of those mid 80's brawls with Hagler, Hearns, Duran, etc.!!!

UFC definetly has been more watched lately.

It was the fight before the main event on HBO! If you missed it??? You need to see the hardcore slobberknocker on replay? with two men throwing death blows! Serious "power" shots from both fighters! That was the "real" Main Event!!!

>>>"Middle Weight" *Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik*<<< of Youngstown Ohio; 25 years old is NOW 31-0 with 28 KO's after an AWESOME 7th Round "Knock-Out" of Columbian bad ass Edison Miranda who was 28-1 with 24 KO's before getting BLASTED!

I saw the so-called "fight," which turned out to be little more than a glorified sparring session. At least one of them should have pissed the other off. That might have added a little belligerance to the evening's proceedings in the ring. Panamaniac is right, what boxing needs is a new Tyson, as seen in this video clip.

My bad, I did not even mention the DeLaHoya/Mayweather fight above. There was not alot to talk about. Mayweather fought a "smart" fight..stick..run...stick...hold. DeLaHoya initiated the fight more, but his jab eluded him later in the match for some reason. Unable to land many clean shots.

Pavlik's nose was flattened and bloody; while Miranda's face looked like a swollen cabbage patch doll.

I want to see Pavlik vs. Taylor.

You make an extremely important point Panamaniac :thumbsup: It will be very interesting to see! Styles mean everything in this fight. "Onslaught" is a great word to describe Pavlik's arsenal. Pavlik has also proven he can take a punch; he's got a chin. One thing's for sure Pavlik will not run like Spinks and some others have done. Taylor had better bring his "A" Game that night. Should be a great fight!

And MUCH MORE entertaining than the DeLaHoya/Mayweather fight that suppose to save boxing.

BTW, thanks for starting this thread!

^That's O.K. I still am enjoying this thread anyway. UP Threads can go on roller coaster rides "up & down". Some that have been active can get dormant quickly.

Thanks Panamaniac :thumbsup: I can appreciate your knowledge and enthusiasm as well. I'm not too much into the Soccer thing.

It was said tonight on ESPN2 a slot could open up in September for Taylor/Pavlik??? :yahoo:

Speaking of UFC..... just so happens Saturday Night for the Light Heavyweight Championship

*Chuck "Ice Man" Liddell looks to get revenge(his last loss/only unavenged loss) against Quinton "Rampage" Jackson; should be a brutal beatdown for both men. Liddell predicted a 1st Round KO! :tough:

Sure did dgreco. Rampage Jackson caught Chuck Liddell with a right he never saw that dropped him; then preceded to hit him a few more times before the ref jumped in to stop it in 1st Round. Rampage just patiently waited for Chuck to make a mistake. Hadn't done much til then.

Just curious...how strict is the steriod policy in UFC??

Sure did dgreco. Rampage Jackson caught Chuck Liddell with a right he never saw that dropped him; then preceded to hit him a few more times before the ref jumped in to stop it in 1st Round. Rampage just patiently waited for Chuck to make a mistake. Hadn't done much til then.

Just curious...how strict is the steriod policy in UFC??

Archived