Water park resort to be built

Neo

Some more news on this project. Apparently the Fort Mill location qualifies for $14 million in incentive grants, something that the Concord location doesn't qualify for. Concord may also be considering corridor improvements on top of tax incentives for the project though.

I honestly feel that Concord is probably the best location (minus the traffic issues in that area) but money speaks louder than most.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to disagree with the both of you. Considering this park has 401 rooms and a staff of maybe 50-80 a day, that's only going to add about 800 trips per day to the road. Yes, that's a lot of cars to add onto an already busy road, but most of the time during the week that road is very free flowing. Take today for example, I stopped at the Shell station on Speedway on the way back from my parents and I didn't have to deal with any more traffic that I would encounter anywhere else in Charlotte that time of day. I didn't sit at a single light longer than one cycle. That was at 5:30pm.

The weekends are really the only horror story in my opinion. And luckily for this development, the park would be located on the Speedway side of 85, headed away from the interstate. The traffic is rarely backed up in this direction. Thus, I can't see this impacting the traffic on this road too much as the added traffic will be going against existing traffic patterns. To avoid the delay of getting back to 85 from the park, you could take 29 to 485, only three minutes out of the way, without a hint of traffic. Oh well, I guess I drive these roads several times a week so I'm used to them. For a tourist it wouldn't be so easy.

I actually agree, too. The resort belongs there. That area of Concord is a destination. The majority of this project is a hotel, which the area certainly could use, with the speedway and mall. The waterpark is said to be for guests of the hotel only. It would benefit the area greatly, and I'm sure those hotel rooms would be great especially during races.

I agree as well. If all this was being built in an area that was even remotely urban, I'd have more of an objection to it. But the Concord Mills area is rapidly becoming a Charlotte equivalent to Kissimmee, Fl. (a suburb of Orlando), in the sense that it's being built with visitors in mind rather than residents. Between the speedway, mall, and waterpark, there'll be a lot of synergy that tourists will appreciate more than the locals will.

This article gives more details about the project, specifically about incentives. It appears as though SC has put together a package that could be worth five times more than what Cabarrus offered. To lure Great Wolf to Fort Mill, the state and York County can offer incentives of nearly $14.2 million over 20 years, said Ryan McDaniels of the Cabarrus Economic Development Corp. "The $14.2 million is the best estimate we have, although it's not etched in stone," he said. That figure is in comparison with the five-year, $2.7 million incentive package from Cabarraus commissioners.

Fort Mill is going to get this, and of course I'm rooting for the location on my side of the metro. It will be a new version of the old PTL hotel and water park. :)

This looks like it will be a great resort

The only problem I see with this resort is that it seems to be designed to attract families, but will the average family be able to afford those resort room rates? It would be different if Charlotte had more tourist attractions like in Myrtle Beach or Orlando. The Ballyntine Resort in Charlotte caters more towards business guests.

Interesting how opponents of the Catawba River water transfer proposal are pouncing on this whitewater park, saying, "how can you say you are in a water shortage and want to take OUR water, yet you are going to allow this resort to take millions more gallons of water from us."

Interesting how opponents of the Catawba River water transfer proposal are pouncing on this whitewater park, saying, "how can you say you are in a water shortage and want to take OUR water, yet you are going to allow this resort to take millions more gallons of water from us."

• 1 month later...

It looks like a grading permit was submitted this morning for Great Wolf Lodge of the Carolinas LLC for a 402 room hotel and indoor water park. I haven't heard anything from any other sources but since this is a grading permit I assume that Concord beat out Fort Mill for the location?

Guess so, still bothers me though that it's an indoor ment-for-resort-guests kind of waterpark instead of a real waterpark like wet-n-wild in greensburro. Carowind's waterpark is really crappy compared to so many other waterparks out there.

I don't know if you realize how tremendous these waterparks are. The company that is building it is the one that built the one in Wisconsin Dells. I was in Wisconsin a month ago and had another look at it. It is very impressive and suitable for customers 12 months out of the year. When it is 104 degrees outside, I will be happy that it will be around. Believe me, this will not be a crappy waterpark. It will be a great economic boost for Concord.

No no, I ment CAROWINDS had a crappy waterpark, the problem with this one is it seems to only be for hotel guests or am I wrong about this?

No, you are corrrect. Great Wolf Resorts are for guests only, the waterpark will not be open to the public. The only thing that will be open to the public will be the eateries inside such as Starbucks which I believe will be a part of this development.

No, you are corrrect. Great Wolf Resorts are for guests only, the waterpark will not be open to the public. The only thing that will be open to the public will be the eateries inside such as Starbucks which I believe will be a part of this development.

Yea, you're right, I got the Panera confused for another Starbucks as well.

So this hotel on top of the Hilton Gardens and whatever that other proposed hotel near the new convention center is (I forget,) how many more hotels can the concord mills area handle outside of the race weeks? I mean, there are plans for hotel space in and around the NCRC in Kannapolis, a handful of soon-to-be-built hotels in University; it just seems like the demand for hotel space should be going away for Speedway Blvd.

Archived