Strip Club Laws

So where can I find the local strip club laws. The city site is useless and I found something on the county site, saying "No alcoholic drink may be served at a strip club".

I know there is a ban on strip clubs in tallahassee (or Leon County). I just need more info on it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So where can I find the local strip club laws. The city site is useless and I found something on the county site, saying "No alcoholic drink may be served at a strip club".

I know there is a ban on strip clubs in tallahassee (or Leon County). I just need more info on it.

I'd be interested in that too DD5. I'm also curious as to why one has not popped up in one of our neighboring counties right at the line. I see that a lot in other communities.

I also have always been surprised by the fact that a college city our size and w/our large student population has no "head shop." Usually those type of places are a hallmark of a college town even this day in age. I'm not looking to go there, well except maybe for a black-light Pink Floyd poster :D , but these type of exclusions in any community always interest me as far as the reason and origins for such exclusions. Once I asked a well connected long-time resident of this area why this was so and he answered the question by saying: Willie Meggs doesn't like them. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. But that makes me wonder if this is the same answer for the lack of strip clubs in our area?

You'll have a greater chance of getting caught at the Frenchtown park then you would at one of X-Mart's backroom booths. I wouldn't know because i've never done that. On a serious note, I think Tallahassee doesn't have strip joints because we're a family-oriented community and there would be strong opposition.

While I'm sure that statement is at least partially true EG about strip clubs, the words "STRONG OPPOSITION" could just about be applied to any proposal of change here in Tally. :)

DD5, I see that Willie Meggs is mentioned in the article you linked us to.

I seem to remember strip clubs last being a topic in the news several years ago (maybe around 1998). I want to say that someone tried to open a place downtown that got cute with the ordinances but only managed to be open for one night. It may have been something where it was BYOB (with the second B meaning booze and not another B word). I might be remembering something from Gainesville though.

It does seem rather odd that Tallahassee is so puritanical about its sex life compared to other cities in the Southeast located on interstate highways. From Cafe Risque near Gainesville to the several clubs and spas advertised along I-75 in Georgia, I-75 seems to be the lonely trucker's paradise. I-10 has clubs at the Florida bookends (Jacksonville and Pensacola). Seems like Tallahassee would be a logical spot for something, especially with the two universities and all the people who come here for short stays (lobbyists, politicians, etc.). Perhaps there is a thriving underground business (used to hear rumors about some of the beer tub gals who worked at Sloppy Joe's on the weekends, and this is the first I had heard about Xmart). Then again, maybe those bikini contests at the bars (where that FSU cowgirl first displayed her doctor-installed accessories) are enough for people.

Oh well. If I have to plan a bachelor party for Tallahassee, I'll worry about it more.

I've been told - and this is strictly friend-of-a-friend from someone who might know - a major reason Tally banned strip clubs is to prevent people getting pictures of state Congress members and other high up pols going in or out of titty bars during session.

Archived