Demise of the mall?

Olebiker

The two new Kohl's stores got me to thinking about how seldom I go to a mall. I will enjoy shopping at a free-standing store where I can run in, get what I want and get out without having to navigate through crowds of bare-midriffed teen aged girls and their droopy pants, hat-on-sideways boyfriends.

In the early 1970s I worked at Bashford Manor Mall in Louisville. It has since been torn down. I was in the Tallahassee Mall the other day and was struck by the number of empty stores and paucity of customers. That same day, while I went in Home Depot, my wife went in Beall's on Capital Circle NE. Beall's was hopping.

I just wonder if the bloom is off the shopping mall rose.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're right about the demise of the mall as we know it. It seems more and more cities are turning toward the open air malls like the St. Johns Towncenter in Jacksonville -- http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=857) and Destin Commons in Destin -- http://www.destincommons.com/. I'm hoping that Fallschase and Welaunee will have the same type of feel.

The traditional malls are really going to have to step it up in order to compete. In my opinion, the Tallahasee Mall and Governor's Square Mall just aren't cutting it when it comes to appeal to the general public.

I can't find a cite for it now, but somewhere I read that in '06 a gazillion outdoor/open-air "lifestyle" centers were either permitted or constructed, however during the same time period, only 1 traditional indoor mall was permitted or constructed in all of the USA. I think all the indoor malls will have to reinvent themselves to continue to survive in today's market.

Eh gad, I must be a lifestyle center junkie. :o I've been to all of those centers in your article except the Desert Center in AZ.

Santana Row in SJ has become a real hang out of mine when I visit the relatives there (going again in June) since they live just down the street. There we eat, drink, shop and play on one of the many almost life-size chess boards. They also have several outdoor fireplaces in the middle to hang out by on those chilly NorCal nights. However Santana Row is built right next-door the THE mall in SJ, Valley Fair and they actually work in conjunction w/each other, not as competition. It seems to me to be one of the best lifestyle centers in the USA, w/The Grove in LA a close second. But I'm sure a large part of its success is due to all the techie money in SJ.

900,000 square foot is pretty impressive. Isn't Fallschase commercial 700,000 sf? I just hope that Colonial Properties and Devoe Moore use the Lifestyle centers for design inspiration instead of the Purina Dog Food building (aka Car Museum) across the street.

I still think this is were our future Bass Pro shop if going to go.

All signs indicate Tallahassee is growing at a record pace. I'm not sure how we can actually measure this right now, but I do not see a slow down -- this based primarily on residential real estate sales, recent submissions in permitting, and the latest traffic counts I've heard of. I'm proud of how we're growing and I can't wait to see what things will look like 2-3 years from now. :)

I have been meaning to put this is here for a while, but has anyone ever noticed that you can not buy any appliances at the Tallahassee Mall? No Dishwashers, washers/dryers, TOOLS of any kind!, TV's, Microwaves, Electronics etc etc....

I was excited to move to this side of town recently but often find my self on the other side at Governors square looking for things to furnish my house with. I will never bash Governors Square mall again. "Although I don't think I ever did". :-)

Were do people go that live on this side for one stop shopping for these types of thing? Lowes (slows), Home Depot, Walmart (blah)!? This just proves more and more that Tallahassee needs more variety and more shopping options. All 500,000 people in the effective area all shop at the same places, thus all have the same things.

I have been meaning to put this is here for a while, but has anyone ever noticed that you can not buy any appliances at the Tallahassee Mall? No Dishwashers, washers/dryers, TOOLS of any kind!, TV's, Microwaves, Electronics etc etc....

I was excited to move to this side of town recently but often find my self on the other side at Governors square looking for things to furnish my house with. I will never bash Governors Square mall again. "Although I don't think I ever did". :-)

Were do people go that live on this side for one stop shopping for these types of thing? Lowes (slows), Home Depot, Walmart (blah)!? This just proves more and more that Tallahassee needs more variety and more shopping options. All 500,000 people in the effective area all shop at the same places, thus all have the same things.

mracca how do know you've lived in Tally for a long time?

When you start complaining about having to drive ALL THE WAY OVER to the eastside of town. :)

As an ex South Floridian myself, I remember when we first moved to Tally and thought how great it was that there was no traffic to speak of and that everything was so close to us no matter where in Tally it was located. Now after several years, we just moan and biotch when we have to drive more than 5 or 10 minutes.

I think we've been spoiled. :)

But I do agree the North side needs an appliance etc. store. I do miss Sound Advice. I was use to them down south and enjoyed them while there were here in Tally Mall.

However under no conditions do I want Appliance Direct. I loathe their commercials. I find them to be LCD (lowest common denominator.)

Speaking personally, I wouldn't complain as much if the roads were easier to drive on. The constant stop and go is nerve wrecking. I'd rather drive the 30 minutes in south Florida traffic than abuse my car on our streets getting across town. This is why I think people grow to complain.

Archived