Demise of the mall?

Olebiker

Those commercials.........there so......there sooooo mezmorizing... I love the little Chinese guy! Isn't that his wife? I would love to have an Appliance Direct, I went to one with a friend on Orlando and they really do have great Brands for a Great price, and the sales department know their stuff, just like on the commercials.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, my wife and I would like to see a good-sized Belk's around here. When we visit my inlaws in Biloxi, the Belk's there has a great selection. The closest one to Tallahassee is in Thomasville and that Belk's is quite limited.

Belk maybe just a tad "higher" on the retail scale than Kohl's, but if so, not by much. Parisian's is already Belk. They were bought out by Belk last fall I believe, but the name change won't happen until later.....I forget exactly when....maybe this upcoming fall?

Anyway, I see the new outdoor mall at I-10 exit #209 luring both Dillard's and Belk from Tally Mall. Then I see the slow but sure death of Tally Mall especially if the new outdoor mall gets a new movie theatre.

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Tallahassee Beukeboom :yahoo:

I recall hearing about that outlet mall you speak of prior to the ground breaking of Summit East thinking that was what Summit East would become. I've not heard anything about it since.

I don't know if the Tallahassee Mall would completely die. The new owner of that Mall, Larry Feldman is a reknown expert at taking malls in far worse condition than the Tallahassee mall is percieved to be in, and making them regional contenders.

If the two big department stores (Dillard's and Belk) pull out of Tally Mall along w/the movie theater, it surely will die in its present form. Now they could raze the current structure and built it more like Gov's Marketplace and then it would survive in its new form.

Tally can't keep 3 Dillard's alive and they will surely close the old Gayfer's location before they kill the newer "built as a Dillard's" location at Gov. Sq. Colonial has a history w/Dillard's and Belk and that is why I'm saying they'd take them over to Outdoor Mall. Macy's will continue at Gov. Sq. as will Sears, Penney's and the more modern Dillard's and thus keep the "disco mall" on truckin'.

Colonial properties doesn't really have a history of doing upscale. The do more "mid-level" shopping which really is what Tally is all about, however most of the retail properties they deal with....we already have here, so I see the new outdoor mall as being more of the same shops (with a few new surprises thrown in) as we already have here. So while the location and mall will be new on DeVoe's property, unfortunately I don't see that being the case w/the tenants.

Also I'm a little worried w/the aesthetics of the new outdoor mall. DeVoe doesn't have a reputation for beauty or innovation when it comes to architecture. I submit The Fort Knox Office Bldg, the current car bunker...I mean museum and the Purina Car Museum currently being build as evidence. Hopefully Colonial will help him in this dept. and make something we can all be proud of.

And don't get me wrong, I want the new outdoor mall to be built and I don't wanna see Tally Mall fall any lower than it already has. I really hope I'm wrong about this. But based on our size market, the history of the developer and what has happened to the older malls when these new outdoor malls are built in other market's our size, I'm fearful at least some of what I've said may happen. :(

Belk maybe just a tad "higher" on the retail scale than Kohl's, but if so, not by much. Parisian's is already Belk. They were bought out by Belk last fall I believe, but the name change won't happen until later.....I forget exactly when....maybe this upcoming fall?

Anyway, I see the new outdoor mall at I-10 exit #209 luring both Dillard's and Belk from Tally Mall. Then I see the slow but sure death of Tally Mall especially if the new outdoor mall gets a new movie theatre.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when Belk's was Belk Lindsey's...much nicer name but I guess the modern world needs the short name or they won't remember it. :scared:

I wouldn't count out the Tallahassee Mall just based on its appearance. Back when we lived in Daytona the Daytona Mall (92 & Nova) looked to be "dead but don't know it yet". Now it seems to have revived to a remarkable degree...

Y'know what this town needs? A Stacy's Buffet. Are any of those still around anywhere? If they are maybe we can get one in the new Cross Creek mall?

Archived