Local First Street Party - Downtown GR - June 9

4th ANNUAL LOCAL FIRST STREET PARTY TO BE HELD JUNE 9th

Here is an event I thought everyone would want to know more about!

Local First is expecting more than 4,000 people this year to its 4th Annual Local First Street Party presented by Celebration! Cinema on Saturday June 9, 2007. The Local First Street Party is a free event, which features local beer, local food and local music while focusing on the remarkable talent and businesses of our area. The event will be held from 3:00 p.m. to Midnight in front of The Bistro Bella Vita, on Grandville Avenue at Weston Street in downtown Grand Rapids.

WHO:

Local First, a non-profit organization whose mission is to encourage the development of a vibrant, sustainable West Michigan economy by promoting local business ownership, social equity, and environmental kinship through education, support and collaboration. Learn more about Local First at www.localfirst.com.

WHAT:

4th Annual Local First Street Party presented by Celebration! Cinema

WHEN:

Saturday, June 9, 2007

3:00 p.m. - Midnight

WHERE:

44 Grandville Avenue

Corner of Weston & Grandville in downtown Grand Rapids

Just in front of Bistro Bella Vita

WHY:

A fundraiser for Local First and to celebrate local music, retailers and companies.

MORE:

Founders Brewing will provide beer. Hritz Koney will serve up hot dogs and other specialties. Area businesses will showcase their talents and goods at vendor booths. Several popular local bands including Jimmie Stagger, Four Finger Five, GrrRoPoLis and La Famiglia will perform.

ENTERTAINMENT LINE-UP:

Jimmie Stagger: 3-4:30 p.m.

GrrRoPoLis: 5-6 p.m.

JB Vries (DJ): 6:30-7:30 p.m.

Four Finger Five: 8-9:30 p.m.

La Famiglia: 10 p.m.-12 a.m.

To learn more about the event or for interviews call Elissa Sangalli at 808-3788 or go to www.localfirst.com.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There will be a few differences. It's running from 3 p.m. - midnight this year instead of 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. The vendor/local business booths will also be on Weston Street with the stage and beer instead of off to the side in the parking lot. It'll be a much tighter set up instead of being spread out like last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to hear any attendees' opinions of this. We showed up at about 5:00 after walking the Parade of Downtown Living, and it seemed pretty dead. The band took a really long time setting up (I think they were waiting for their singer to show up), and about half of the people milling around were wearing Local First T-shirts. I'd say there were about 15-20 people who were not affiliated with Local First or a vendor.

I'm glad I went, but was pretty disappointed with the turnout and with the selection of local vendors (or lack thereof). It seems like there would be more Eastown and downtown retailers there with a table. For anyone who attended in a previous year, how did this year measure against past events?

I'm curious to hear any attendees' opinions of this. We showed up at about 5:00 after walking the Parade of Downtown Living, and it seemed pretty dead. The band took a really long time setting up (I think they were waiting for their singer to show up), and about half of the people milling around were wearing Local First T-shirts. I'd say there were about 15-20 people who were not affiliated with Local First or a vendor.

I'm glad I went, but was pretty disappointed with the turnout and with the selection of local vendors (or lack thereof). It seems like there would be more Eastown and downtown retailers there with a table. For anyone who attended in a previous year, how did this year measure against past events?

Your summation was spot on. I met up with some friends at about 9:00 p.m. and there was a good sized hipster crowd. Even more people kept showing up and by the time La Famiglia started playing, the whole area was PACKED! It was a good time. We all felt like we were in a different city!

*fish

Dinner time was the slow time. I hear it was jam packed when La Famiglia came on. You probably didn't stick around long enough.

Your summation was spot on. I met up with some friends at about 9:00 p.m. and there was a good sized hipster crowd. Even more people kept showing up and by the time La Famiglia started playing, the whole area was PACKED! It was a good time. We all felt like we were in a different city!

*fish

I agree, the late-night crowd was hopping. It seemed to be 90% 20 somethings after 9pm, a great crowd for this party. There was a steady line for founders beer and Hritz hot dogs. At one point I tried getting a table on the deck at bistro so I could get some pizza - Bistro told me they were out of just about everything! That may seem like a terrible business plan to many but I *love* that this happens sometimes because it reinforces their "fresh, natural, local" tag. They aren't stocking their freezers with frozen veggies and meat.

To sum up: great party and smart planning I think with the schedule. The younger crowd is more likely to be out late drinking so ending with La Famiglia was perfect.

I agree, the late-night crowd was hopping. It seemed to be 90% 20 somethings after 9pm, a great crowd for this party. There was a steady line for founders beer and Hritz hot dogs. At one point I tried getting a table on the deck at bistro so I could get some pizza - Bistro told me they were out of just about everything! That may seem like a terrible business plan to many but I *love* that this happens sometimes because it reinforces their "fresh, natural, local" tag. They aren't stocking their freezers with frozen veggies and meat.

To sum up: great party and smart planning I think with the schedule. The younger crowd is more likely to be out late drinking so ending with La Famiglia was perfect.

Archived