Charlotte Residential Tower Rumors

appatone

Speaking of a dramatic 277 drive. Charlotte Business Journal reports that Grubb Properties is now floating the idea of building a 40 floor office/residential tower on S. Tryon across from The Green. The tower would have, in addition to office space, about 100 residential units and a 1200 seat performance theatre.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Out of speculation i wonder if it could possibly replace the parking lot at 4th and church (on the block where the Carillon is). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was exactly my guess as well. The surface lot on the northwest corner of 4th & Church. Seems to be the only obvious space in a one-block radius out from the Square. I think that the greenspace just to the north of the parking lot is technically designated as Carillon Park, which would probably make a nice neighbor for a residential building.

This is awesome news! I drove around that area today, and there are a number of lots it could be.

-the surface lot behind carillon park at Church and 4th

-tearing down the gawd- awful center City Inn at Trade & Mint (even renovation as "Hautel" isn't enough to redeem it for me)

-the lot or Trade & Graham where J & W had the old buildings cleared.

-the surface lot between trade and 5th , pine and poplar

No matter where it goes, it is awesome news (as long as it doesn't replace a pre-WWII building )

I think so, too, but i decided to include in my list of possible lots, because plans change all the time...

For some reason, I think it is more likely to go south of Trade. I don't think such a tall building would go over very well in and around the 8 story buildings of 4th Ward.

I like the Carillon block the most for a tall residential tower (even if that isn't the space that one will go). It will put more attention on the carillon park, have a church street address, and could start momentum toward the dead lots of 3rd Ward.

I think so, too, but i decided to include in my list of possible lots, because plans change all the time... 

For some reason, I think it is more likely to go south of Trade.  I don't think such a tall building would go over very well in and around the 8 story buildings of 4th Ward. 

I like the Carillon block the most for a tall residential tower (even if that isn't the space that one will go).  It will put more attention on the carillon park, have a church street address, and could start momentum toward the dead lots of 3rd Ward.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course it just might be the official announcement of http://www.615eastmorehead.com

Here are more details. The center city inn, if this project comes to fruition, will be demolished to make way for the tower which encompass the lot facing trade, mint, poplar. The ground level will have approximately 7000 square feet of retail, with the next 2-3 levels of office space and then condos from there up.

there will be 28 floors.

small spire.

balconies and terraces at each level facing poplar/trade.

this will be a pretty dynamic building

I really hope this comes to fruition.  I have always thought that the Center City Inn building detracted from the impressiveness of the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aww, I kind of thought it was gritty and funky. But, I guess the value of land within a few blocks of the square is getting more popular.

Wonder who the builder will be?

Archived