Charlotte Residential Tower Rumors

appatone

I got this email

Thank you for your interest in the 230 South Tryon Condos.  We are completely sold out except for one unit.  Due to the success of this development, Spectrum Properties has decided to announce another condo project in just a few weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't this just be them helping (as partner) with the development of the Epicentre? They've got the residential construction, design and sales experience while Ghazi is more into the retail stuff.

Just speculating.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll add to the rumor mill...Spectrum is going to announce in the next two weeks that it will build a new condo tower adjacent to Carillon. I thought that they were simply going to convert 5th and Poplar to condos after the success of the conversion of their Mass Mutual project, but was told today that this will be a new project on the former Swiss Hotel site at Church and Trade.

I'll add to the rumor mill...Spectrum is going to announce in the next two weeks that it will build a new condo tower adjacent to Carillon.  I thought that they were simply going to convert 5th and Poplar to condos after the success of the conversion of their Mass Mutual project, but was told today that this will be a new project on the former Swiss Hotel site at Church and Trade.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

darn...I like that Park right there...hopefully they will be able to retain some of it.

If this project becomes reality then Carillon will be sandwiched by 2 tall condos. Trademark and this Spectrum deal.

I also hope they go for more modern architecture. If you look at all of their other downtown developments...they have all been very traditional architecture...that in my opinion looks kinda crappy.

^ I really hope they put this some place else...

That small little Nonpark - Park is great... its relaxing yet right in the heart of everything.

With all the room we have in center city... I am sure that Spectrum can find someplace else to put a condo tower. I mean look at all those damn surface lots. That is one think I don't like about alot of the developement that is happening now. The developers are deciding to tear down things and build in there place instead of filling in already empty lots. Granted some of that is justified but I don't see a project like this being justified when there are plenty of trade or close to trade spots available.

ITs good to see that there is growth... and I really enjoy seeing our city evolve into a world class place but I with they could fill in the gaps first

In reference to Miesian Corner's rumor of the Spectrum site, it makes sense that that block is the site, since Cornerstrone (which also owns the Mass Mutual building that will be rehabbed by Spectrum) bought the Carillon. A narrow building could go over the loading docks along Church, and maybe take just a little of the park. I don't think they acquired the surface lot. I really really like this site, since it is a noticeable gap looking at the skyline North-South.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn into a 20 story stucco and and brick Ballantyne monstrostiy.

I am pretty sure it is the surface lot at church and 4th. that parking lot is bigger than the area that trademark is using. when cornerstone bought the carrillon in january, doug smith speculated that part of the reason might be to build residential on that parking lot.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/10586657.htm

The park stays. When Hesta Properties built Carillon in 1989, it was planned to be a two-tower project. A Swiss Hotel topped by condos was designed to fit over the loading docks for the office tower. If you look at that side of the building, you can actually see where the lobbies were supposed to join (glass curtain wall in the middle of the facade.

The park stays.  When Hesta Properties built Carillon in 1989, it was planned to be a two-tower project.  A Swiss Hotel topped by condos was designed to fit over the loading docks for the office tower.  If you look at that side of the building, you can actually see where the lobbies were supposed to join (glass curtain wall in the middle of the facade.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Word now is that this will also be a conversion and not a completely new building. Hmm. Throws a wrench into the conversion theory. Maybe the building that's empty at 4th and Tryon, cross-corner from where McCormick and Schmick is supposed to go?

Whose word?  I don't think that building would work for the same reason it hasn't sold.  It has less than 20 parking spaces on the site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Word now is that this will also be a conversion and not a completely new building. Hmm. Throws a wrench into the conversion theory. Maybe the building that's empty at 4th and Tryon, cross-corner from where McCormick and Schmick is supposed to go?"

Quoting myself once again, that was speculation on my part. The sales lady from Helen Adams who said that it would be another rehab project just like the current job. The only other thing I could think of is if they did the work on the one across the street from 230 S Tryon which is already torn up.

Hmmm......because I pressed and pressed the other day on whether it was rehab or new construction and a lady from Spectrum wouldn't say, just that it would be similar in size/scope. However, two reliable sources both strongly hinted that it would be the site Meisian said. I thought it would be rehabbing the 129 W. Trade, but was told for certain that it would not be that building.

Hmmm......because I pressed and pressed the other day on whether it was rehab or new construction and a lady from Spectrum wouldn't say, just that it would be similar in size/scope.  However, two reliable sources both strongly hinted that it would be the site Meisian said.  I thought it would be rehabbing the 129 W. Trade, but was told for certain that it would not be that building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We'll just have to wait and see.

:rolleyes:

with word that trademark has sold less than half its units, and with delays seeming to hit all these projects, i'm not that excited about a new announcement by spectrum. It is no good if so many towers are announced that they all sell a third of their units and then have none of them happen. I know that is the worst case scenario, and unlikely... but still.

Enough chattering about future towers!! I want to see cranes!!

Let's see the now!! Enough talking! Build!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cranes for Park! - permits approved expect to see cranes go up in the coming weeks.

Cranes for Epicentre! - site prep underway.

Cranes for Vue! - has not even opened a sales office yet.

Cranes for Trademark! - permits approved 2 weeks ago, site prep already started.

Cranes for Avenue! - started permiting process 3 weeks ago.

ElricSeven......looks like you were right on this one. I just got an e-mail from HelenAdams saying that the new project will be ready for occupancy within a few months......perhaps they have two projects up their sleeve? Let the specualtions reopen.......to be honest, I think the idea that the Wachovia building might end up being fitted for condos might be right on....

ElricSeven......looks like you were right on this one.  I just got an e-mail from HelenAdams saying that the new project will be ready for occupancy within a few months......perhaps they have two projects up their sleeve?  Let the specualtions reopen.......to be honest, I think the idea that the Wachovia building might end up being fitted for condos might be right on....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's got to be it, I would think, because they're half way through the thing. Anything else would take just as long, or longer, than their current project.

Archived