Charlotte Residential Tower Rumors

appatone

[Mod Edit: moved from here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=233974 ]

Speaking of uptown apartments, I heard a rumor today that Spectrum's next project is going to be apartments........my guess is that they will dust off the plans for the 20-25 story tower over at Church and 3rd.

THIS IS FREGGIN AWESOME ATLRVR !

You personally know how much I HATE that lot. With the park on the way this will plug up a HUGE whole in the skyline. I hope you are not kidding about this one. I want that lot gone more the Levine's lots. I personally thinkg the park will be ugly if it is bounded by a surface lot. The aprtment tower would help out in a BIG way !

A2

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no lie....I only mess with you about The Colony Apts (which are slated to be demolished soon). Again, I was only told that Spectrum is doing uptown apartments......the assumption for that lot was from me, though since they already had shelved plans for there once, and their captial investment partner owns the lot, it makes the most sense IMO.

It's no lie....I only mess with you about The Colony Apts (which are slated to be demolished soon).

haha. I am definately going to have to start looking elsewhere to live with everything going on in SP. I have a tower crane in my backyard and Morrison Place in my front yard. It's going to be a squeeze out for sure. I hope they do not do anything for 2 years though. Yikes !

A2

and spectrum has raised a decent amount of capital with the 5/P and 230ST projects. they have announced intentions to build residential between presto grill and the courthouse as well as on the church street side of 300 s tryon.

I wonder if that will help the lot on 3rd and Tryon finally get developed if the Church street lot materializes. Hmmmmm.

;)

A2

well just to clarify...

the most recent explanation of the plans in the paper is this:

the single lot between Tryon and Church seen here:

http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?c...le=h&lvl=19&v=1

that was originally planned for the 300 S Tryon office tower would now be divided into 2 future projects... an office tower on the Tryon half of that site and a residential tower on the church half of the site.

edit: see atlrvr's clarification below on which block he meant

well just to clarify...

the most recent explanation of the plans in the paper is this:

the single lot between Tryon and Church seen here:

http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?c...le=h&lvl=19&v=1

That is the one that seriously needs a tower since it will be right next to the Park. My thoughts are that the further along they get on completing the park, the sooner plans will made public for all the lots in between, including the lot I despise and the one across from Church.

A2

for some reason, i am confident that the lots between church and mint next to 3rd ward park will fill in within a few years of the park being built... especially since furman and spectrum already seem to have plans for the northwest side of the park, which i view as being less desirable locations than along church and mint.

Oh....I meant that the apartment tower would likely go west of Church (between Church and Mint) at 3rd.....they control that block too.....I can only see, office, retail, and condos on the block between Church and Tryon.

That is top on my "Worst Surface Lots in Uptown list". I am keeping fingers crossed that we FINALLY get something verticle there.

A2

do they already have control of the presto lot?

The lot is owned by the Shamrock Management Corp. here in Charlotte. I'm not sure that Spectrum will be the developer for that property, or if they are advising them and Shamrock would develop themselves. SMC has typically just been a property management corp.

This could be the site of the new tower, but I just don't have that feeling.

The block next to Latta Arcade and bounded by Tryon and Church would be great for something massive. Think about it, all the tall buildings along Tryon are on the other side of the street. I think it would be cool if something like the proposed Waterview Tower in Chicago. It is so beautiful and sleek and slender, I just love it. And at the top it has a crown-like structure shooting up to shield the roof equipment. It is to be 90 stories/ 1047 feet. I think it would be cool if we had a mixed use tower with office/hotel/condo space like this, but this one is just a condo/hotel tower.

Simply exquisite.

Renderings:

emporiswaterview4yr.jpg

2004_5_waterview_tower.jpg

9wackerdr_night.jpg

p10001986bu.jpg

p10001971ob.jpg

p10001909hs.jpg

p10002174qb.jpg

p10001921mg.jpg

p10001911en.jpg

Sorry I went a little crazy with the pictures, but I LOVE this building!

Nice building. Don't think we'll see anything that tall anytime soon. Anyone want to take a guess on when the next residential project to break ground that hasnt been announced yet. I'll say we'll see one announced in ~4 months and starting 4Q '06

I say less than one month for an announcement on a tower over 25 stories in or around the perimeter of the 277 loop.

A2

We could possibly see an announcement sometime after hopefully the NASCAR HOF gets awarded to Charlotte. 2nd Ward is pretty untapped for residential and with the HOF and the Wachovia project in that vicinity, I see nothing but hot prospects for a condo tower to go along with all the piggy back retail,etc.

Archived