Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Southron

Downtown Hampton Inn

13 posts in this topic

The former Greystone Hotel, a 10-story building at the corner of Commerce and Bibb Streets downtown, across the street from the Renaissance Hotel construction site, is being renovated to become a Hampton Inn. The structure was converted to office use in the 1970�s, last used by First Tuskegee Bank. Expected to open by the end of 2007, the new hotel will feature 86 guest rooms, meeting rooms, a ballroom and a fitness room.

Montgomery Advertiser: Hampton Inn project to begin in May

Greystone Hotel, built in 1929

GreystoneHotel.jpg

Excellent choice as it was a flop house hotel in the sixties with no attractions or reason for its existence. Now I believe it might have chance if they do it right. Especially if there are some middle class amenities - pool restaurant etc.

Appreciate the pic. I see that without shade that corner is still one of the hottest in MGM. Looks like they will need their own parking? I wouldn't want to cross Commerce in a rainstorm from some parking deck!

Hopefully the street tree planting program will take care of that shade issue soon. Good point about the parking - I guess it will share the new RSA hotel deck. The facade on the Hank Williams museum next door needs some serious work. Maybe Bocephus will loan them some money.

Fencing is in place and work has begun on the Hampton Inn renovation.

Hampton_2.jpg

I love it when hotels reuse existing historic structures. Congrats to Montgomery; Hampton Inn is a well-respected name in the hotel industry.