Hoover

kayman

Massive development in Hoover

Interesting enough is this plot of land was annexed into the city of Hoover about 12 years ago. Also it is right next to the very massive Trace Crossings development. The extension of Stadium Trace Parkway would offer Hoover residents in both southern Jeffco and northern Shelby another alternate route to I-459 or John Hawkins Pky. This seems to be some very good news to Hoover which will probably reach 80,000-100,000 range by the next census.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah... that's a pretty crazy development. And the thing is, there'd still be 1,000 acres or so that would not be developed in this proposal. Hoover's growth has been nothing short of incredible. Trussville and Gardendale are the Hoovers of tomorrow (and I think this is good). Personally, I'd hope downtown becomes a place to live and starts growing faster than all these places, but in the mean time... I want to see Gardendale and Trussville continue to grow. The population center of the metro area is creeping southward, and that's not a good thing. Birmingham needs to be in the center... not on the northern fringe of the population center.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Show a turn-off for some in Hoover

I would have to agree. Hoover is now home to some 65,000 resident, and I doubt it very seriously "the whole town just shutdown for a high school football game". A matter of fact, I went to Riverchase Galleria that Saturday and the mall was busy as usual during the game. Hoover is home to 2 high schools also (Hoover High and Spain Park High), and there is a fierce rivalry between the 2 schools so I seriously doubt that notion. MTV did do a poor job of portraying the large municipality, but it's MTV so what you do really expect of them. Look how they portrayed Austin in Real World, they made it look like the city had absolutely nothing in it beside the 6th Street club district which is far from the truth.

Hoover is a generic, cookie cutter, suburban wasteland. There is absolutely nothing remarkable nor interesting about the place. Also, Tony Petelos is such a galloping idiot, it's him the people of Hoover should be ashamed of, not some obscure show on a teeny bopper network.

I used to work in that godforsaken town, and the only impression it left on me was the traffic. It made me want to climb the Galleria Tower with a rifle and start picking people off. Hoover's happening? Yeah, if you like homogonized communities with Stepford like residents.

plus the "coach" is an egomaniac with a win at all costs attitude.

Lose a few games and he will be out.

I am going to disagree with that last part, he won't lose and be fired, he will continue to win and pickup a coordinator job at the next level.

Folks don't take this the wrong way, but as long as Hoover has success, families from poor areas of Birmingham are going to scratch and claw for every penny to get their kid down there to play football. The exposure is there and the whole country knows about this team, and as a result that is where the talent and recruiters are going.

All media portrayals are inaccurate -- only we don't notice when they're misrepresenting others.

Great observation. And frankly, when we hear a gross generality or outright misrepresentation of a place we are not attached to or familiar with, we like it because it gives that place an identity/symbol/label for us. By "us" I don't necessarily mean us... :shades:

Something you guys should read that has once again shown how ass-backwards some places still are around Greater Birmingham:

Rebel flags poor display of progress

I have a female friend from Vestavia Hills, and she hates her hometown because of this. She told me that they tried to get rid of the rebel flag and all the symbols of such but apparently some people are so stuck on tradition. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It seems over the past few years that most of the more establish shopping areas in Hoover like Hoover Commons, Hoover Square, The Centre at Riverchase, and even Riverchase Galleria are suffering the effects of urban sprawl these days. It seems that the same Tom, Dick, and Henrys that were stumbling over each other to get to Hoover about 15 years ago are now jumping ship all again and this time towards Shelby County, leaving behind the empty boxes all along U.S 31. Most recently the Hoover Chamber of Commerce decided to relocate itself to The Centre at Riverchase to help fill some of the space in this partially empty shopping center. The city also is now dealing with copious problems from its drastic increase in immigrants, primarily those of Latin origin, and low-income residents due to its size. What is your take on this problems and how should Hoover try to approach this obvious transition from being a bedroom community to an major center in the metro area? Should it be looking towards Birmingham for ideas?

It seems over the past few years that most of the more establish shopping areas in Hoover like Hoover Commons, Hoover Square, The Centre at Riverchase, and even Riverchase Galleria are suffering the effects of urban sprawl these days. It seems that the same Tom, Dick, and Henrys that were stumbling over each other to get to Hoover about 15 years ago are now jumping ship all again and this time towards Shelby County, leaving behind the empty boxes all along U.S 31. Most recently the Hoover Chamber of Commerce decided to relocate itself to The Centre at Riverchase to help fill some of the space in this partially empty shopping center. The city also is now dealing with copious problems from its drastic increase in immigrants, primarily those of Latin origin, and low-income residents due to its size. What is your take on this problems and how should Hoover try to approach this obvious transition from being a bedroom community to an major center in the metro area? Should it be looking towards Birmingham for ideas?

http://www.hooveral.org/Default.asp?ID=417

See above link for Hoover's focus areas for redevelopment.

Hopefully, Hoover will follow through with plans over the years. I know they are about to begin the Municipal Center Phase.

31 definately needs some TLC. I've been racking my brain for empty big boxes and all I can't really come up with many.

I know:

Winn-Dixie on Valleydale.

Galleria 10 - Rave shut this down.

McRae's - Has been under some dispute. Top floor is supposed to house Belk's Children and Home Departments. I don't know about the lower.

Belk's space is about to empty when it moves to Parisian spot. Hopefully Galleria owners have something lined up.

What else is there?

I view Hoover already as a "major center" in the metro. 3rd behind downtown/southside, and Homewood.

Are you refering to Birmingham's actions to tear it down and build a Wal-Mart?

I think that Hoover should look at a city such as Alpharetta or Sandy Springs,GA for ideas of where they need to go. Both cities are large and prosperous suburbs of Atlanta and they both are home to large businesses, including several Fortune 500 Companies. Hoover doesn't have the advantage of being a suburb of a major city such as Atlanta, but it has established itself as a city that offers a good quality of life. Hoover should be able to use that reputation to recruit more high tech industry into the city. As for the Lorna Road situation, it's tricky. Hoover is becoming a "big" city and part of being a "big" city is being able to manage diversity. I've read a few articles about city council meetings and what some of the citizens of Hoover have to say about the immigrant population entering the city, and in a way it recalls 1960's Birmingham. I do not condone illegal activity and many of these immigrants entered this country illegally, but this situation is not unique to Hoover. Cities small and large all over the country (especially the south) are having to deal with an influx of illegal aliens, and many of them are doing it while still prospering and growing everyday. I believe that if many of the citizens of Hoover had their way, the apartments on Lorna Road would be condemned and the "illegals" would be ran out of town. Honestly, I would hate to see this. Part of what makes Hoover an attractive community, IMO, is it's ethnic diversity. Hoover and Homewood are the only two cities I know of in Jefferson County that are so diverse and still offer an exceptional quality of life. Hopefully Hoover can figure out a way to continue to prosper without limiting it's potential for growth and diversity.

I think that Hoover should look at a city such as Alpharetta or Sandy Springs,GA for ideas of where they need to go. Both cities are large and prosperous suburbs of Atlanta and they both are home to large businesses, including several Fortune 500 Companies. Hoover doesn't have the advantage of being a suburb of a major city such as Atlanta, but it has established itself as a city that offers a good quality of life. Hoover should be able to use that reputation to recruit more high tech industry into the city. As for the Lorna Road situation, it's tricky. Hoover is becoming a "big" city and part of being a "big" city is being able to manage diversity. I've read a few articles about city council meetings and what some of the citizens of Hoover have to say about the immigrant population entering the city, and in a way it recalls 1960's Birmingham. I do not condone illegal activity and many of these immigrants entered this country illegally, but this situation is not unique to Hoover. Cities small and large all over the country (especially the south) are having to deal with an influx of illegal aliens, and many of them are doing it while still prospering and growing everyday. I believe that if many of the citizens of Hoover had their way, the apartments on Lorna Road would be condemned and the "illegals" would be ran out of town. Honestly, I would hate to see this. Part of what makes Hoover an attractive community, IMO, is it's ethnic diversity. Hoover and Homewood are the only two cities I know of in Jefferson County that are so diverse and still offer an exceptional quality of life. Hopefully Hoover can figure out a way to continue to prosper without limiting it's potential for growth and diversity.

I have family in Alpharetta, and I don't think we want Hoover to be like them. Some parts, yes, others, no. Though, it's already started to develop like them. It's good that Old Milton Highway or Parkway or whatever it is, is almost (or is already) widened. That'll help traffic a lot. But, anyways, Hoover. Commercially, Hoover should try to be like Alpharetta, but, I think that Hoover could greatly improve on traffic, by learning from Alpharetta.

Archived