Hoover

kayman

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, I thought it was impossible for a city not to have a downtown. But, then I drove into Hoover. And I soon realized, this is just a visceral mass, no geographic center, no streets leading into one central location, WOW...

That's not really the problem. The problem is that municipalities seem to fail at making themselves at better on the people-scale with sidewalks, ect. Both seems to have a problem with transitioning from being auto-oriented bedroom communities to sustainable big cities.

Hoover could afford to become more pedestrian friendly, but I think that has little to do with Hoover sustaining itself as a quality city. Hoover's economy is too dependant on retail, and retail is tenuous. There will always be newer and better shopping centers (Trussville) so Hoover needs to find a way to diversify it's economy, the way that Sandy Springs has.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, now I'm wondering if this is going to stir up a honet's nest with the NIMBYs?

Muslim worship center planned for Hoover site

Many of you already know who some residents raise cain over the fact that there are numerous apartment complexes in the city with claims those are nothing but "low income residents". So I wonder how this is going to go over well there?

Ok, now I'm wondering if this is going to stir up a honet's nest with the NIMBYs?

Muslim worship center planned for Hoover site

Many of you already know who some residents raise cain over the fact that there are numerous apartment complexes in the city with claims those are nothing but "low income residents". So I wonder how this is going to go over well there?

If they build it, they will come! Check out these web sites, all in Metro Orlando:

http://www.uptownaltamonte.com/ (Altamonte Springs used to be just like Hoover,big mall, etc)

www.winterspringstowncenter.com

www.baldwinparkfl.com

www.avalonpark.com

www.ci.maitland.fl.us

Maitland, Altamonte and Winter Springs were all cities without downtowns. Baldwin Park is a city of Orlando neighborhood built on the former Naval Training Center site and Avalon Park was built from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...
The fact that it was even brought up shows you that someone is getting antsy over it. Personally, I'm for the diversity, but I see where the people in Hoover might start a fuss over this. This is just a set-up for a nationally televised disaster.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived