Capitol Park Proposal

Southron

A new public park is proposed for the area in front of the Capitol. From the new Montgomery downtown master plan: "The State Capitol Complex is the city's and state's most important civic space, but it lacks a well-ordered foreground which properly dramatizes the building's symbolic significance. The original landscape plan for the Capitol Complex, designed by the Olmsted Brothers, was intended to transform the area around the Capitol into a monumental setting flanked by physical structures and park space. Currently, oversized surface parking lots are the central feature of the foreground to the Capitol. A strategy that satisfies the parking needs but does not detract from the site's stately civic beauty is required."

Capitol_grounds.jpg

Capitol_before_after.jpg

Olmsted Brothers plan (ca. 1930):

Olmsted_AL_capitol.jpg

I hope that this is approved and expanded to include the surface lot behind the Capitol, next to the State House. Structured parking could be built behind the State House to more than make up for the lost parking spaces. Hopefully something will be done to make the south lawn more interesting as well.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably a largish kiosk or enclosed bandstand. Not exactly sure but there are distinct tourist elements that come to MGM, the two largest and most deliberate of which are the Civil Rights tourists and the Civil War tourists. the downtown visitors center is fine would serve as a back drop for that area, but as I remember the MGM summer clime can be a tad warm for walkers of all ages seeing the sights. I used to short cut throught the capitol when I was a kid to enjoy the a/c on the way towards Dexter/Montgomery St/Commerce to go to the movies at the Paramount, Empire, or Charles theaters. Any coolness was a distinct relief and coupled with info and refreshments would tend to replenish the energies of those brave souls walking around MGM in unairconditioned comfort!

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived