Predators Sold

so i'm sure many of you have heard that the Nashville Predators have been sold. nothing is certain yet, but the future of the team is unclear. i can't say much more because i'm fighting back tears, but i just felt it necessary to post it on here.

whether you like hockey or not, it's an embarrasment for the city and a shame for the loyal fans.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Mayor Purcell !!! Glad to hear your relationship with such an important component of the city is so good that you read about these things in the paper just like the rest of us. I'm sure you probably would have been right in the middle of things if you hadn't been so busy working on your brand new vision for the thermal site, or figuring out how to redirect the river. Maybe, in the few remaining months you could simply call some of your folks at public works and planning and schedule a press conference to tell us how many years it will be unit Gateway, uh, no that's Korean Veterans Blvd will actually be extended to at least 8th Avenue. I realize it's not possible at this point to even put a shovel in the ground for at least 2 years but before you go it would be nice to hear you at least tell us whether it can possibly be finished before the end of the next mayor's first term.

Jeepers you really do have a bone to pick with the Mayor don't you???? This is one of may post where you bash the Mayor. I for one really don't have too much of an opinion either way on the man but it' s obvious where you stand.

Did you work on the opposite campaign or something ;) J/K

Hope the preds stay. Hockey really has helped the downtown economy

Geez - what the hell is Purcell doing? What a loser! This will be absolutely Catastrophic for Downtown Nashville. Things like this affect every single downtown project we have completed, are working on and even dream up. This could very well keep Signature Tower from happening. If there's nothing to do downtown then there's no reason to be there.

Wow. I'm literally in shock.

Jeepers you really do have a bone to pick with the Mayor don't you???? This is one of may post where you bash the Mayor. I for one really don't have too much of an opinion either way on the man but it' s obvious where you stand.

Did you work on the opposite campaign or something ;) J/K

Hearing this yesterday made me physically sick and totally depressed. The hard thing is that basicly if this dude wants to move them, the little penalty the city imposes is nothing...he's a multi-billionare, he can take it. All we can really do is keep going to games to gaurentee they stay (maybe) and I, for one, plan to never buy a Blackberry again. Hopefully the Sabres, Leafs, and even Red Wings have enough clout to keep them out of the Waterloo-Hamilton-Kitchner area.

No. I just love our city and loath all politicians more interested in serving their political careers than the citizens. Think Joe Riley in Charleston, even Mayor Daley in Chicago. I like politicians that are willing to take risks and LEAD. Purcell always seems to CALCULATE and then take a position. I've been in his presence in small group settings where he's more candid than anything you'll hear at the podium. Trust me, the guy thinks he's the smartest guy in the class (oddly) which wouldn't bother me so much if he took strong, bold positions and leveraged his intellect for anything other than his career. He just seems to passionate about the game of politics rather than the purpose of politics, which IMO is to serve the constituancy.

I don't blame him for the Sounds not getting thier job done.... I blame the Sounds for not getting the job done. If we lose baseball it is because of Sounds Owner and managment. They were given every opportinity to succeed in thier venture.

If we lose the Preds I wouldn't blame the mayor either, I'd blame us.... The mayor can't put fans in the seats and he can't stop a business or owner from trying to make money and getting the most out of his investment. It will look bad on his record but I don't think this will tarnish his standing. If anything it will hurt the image of our city. People will think we're too backwoods to care about any other sport other than Football. It's no ones fault but our own for low attendance.

If we had full houses throughout the season and the team moved... then it would be a different story.

I don't blame him for the Sounds not getting thier job done.... I blame the Sounds for not getting the job done. If we lose baseball it is because of Sounds Owner and managment. They were given every opportinity to succeed in thier venture.

If we lose the Preds I wouldn't blame the mayor either, I'd blame us.... The mayor can't put fans in the seats and he can't stop a business or owner from trying to make money and getting the most out of his investment. It will look bad on his record but I don't think this will tarnish his standing. If anything it will hurt the image of our city. People will think we're too backwoods to care about any other sport other than Football. It's no ones fault but our own for low attendance.

If we had full houses throughout the season and the team moved... then it would be a different story.

^ Don't forget...Sidewalks to nowhere. Also, as to the Preds, the mayor obviously can't put fans in the seats but as one might expect, it's a much more complicated issue than that. In order to give the Preds the best shot at remaining in Nashville the mayor needs (needed?) to be engaged not reading about things like this on the news. And that is why I fault Purcell. Big bold projects take big bold leadership...engagement. He's consistently shown a willingness only to engage for "low hanging fruit" on issues that are low risk to his political career. Having a recent press conference to declare the river redirected and the hiring of a project manager and vision for some future mayor or mayors to figure out how to do and pay for is a perfect example of bold vision that has no risk to him.

I'm going to shut up now. Thanks to all for kindly not telling me to buzz off.

Geez - what the hell is Purcell doing? What a loser! This will be absolutely Catastrophic for Downtown Nashville. Things like this affect every single downtown project we have completed, are working on and even dream up. This could very well keep Signature Tower from happening. If there's nothing to do downtown then there's no reason to be there.

Wow. I'm literally in shock.

Here we go again--looks like Purcell is going to apply the same stupid strategy to keeping the Preds that he did to getting the Sounds stadium built. Nothing. From the Tennessean:

"A change in ownership of the Nashville Predators "could be a great new beginning for the team in Nashville," Mayor Bill Purcell said today.

In an interview after his annual State of Metro address, Purcell said he expects prospective owner Jim Balsillie to keep the team in Music City."

so he expects them to stay. There you go, case closed. Now ol' Do Nothing Purcell will just sit back and watch everything work itself out. Just like he expected the Sounds and SBER to work things out.

I'm in shock too. I love the Preds and I hope to God they are not moved. However, although you might be right about it having an effect on all downtown projects, I don't know why it would have as big an effect as you say. It is great fun to attend Preds games, yes, but they only take place for about, what, 50 nights out of the year for about two hours?

Regarding our image, sports teams move all the time. Nobody looked down on Hartford (now our Predators), or Quebec City, or Winnipeg, or other cities that had their teams moved. And if people do look down on us, so what? Who gives a crap about what other people think?

oh man, its scary to see just how deep Purcell's head is in the sand on this thing. Exhibit #1--Purcell quote:

"It's less likely today than ever before that any investor would take their ball and leave - or their puck."

Purcell is not dim, so you have to assume he has just decided to put his hands over his ears and go, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

you know what i'm going to do? i'm going to buy season tickets. and i'm going to get my friends to buy season tickets. we're keeping our hockey, and i suggest you all do the same. nashville IS and WILL be a hockey town. lets make the new owner be impressed with his new purchase. there are a lot of hurdles for moving the team. lets add to it.

you know what i'm going to do? i'm going to buy season tickets. and i'm going to get my friends to buy season tickets. we're keeping our hockey, and i suggest you all do the same. nashville IS and WILL be a hockey town. lets make the new owner be impressed with his new purchase. there are a lot of hurdles for moving the team. lets add to it.

All citizens of Nashville should care what people think because the departure of two sports teams would make it very difficult for us to obtain another. Owners of franchises have an endless supply of cities that are eager and more than ready and willing to welcome teams into their market. If you were an owner presented with a list of cities and you saw Nashville lost two sports teams in one year, would you honestly consider a move here???? We should all be concerned, very concerned.

Hopefully we wont have to worry about them moving. The NHL denied Mr. Blackberry (I forget his name) the opportunity to move the Penguins to Canada and the Canadian teams aren't about to give up part of their market share so we might be safe for awhile.

This seems like something that has been slowly in the works for years now. Craig Leipold really wanted to make hockey work for this town, but it seems like all of his efforts have fallen short of what is needed to keep a team here.

It is hard for small market teams to make it, especially in a non traditional hockey market. For years, a lot of Canadian hockey fans have been complaining about Nashville having a team and __________, Canada not having one. It seems that the only people who want the Predators in Nashville are the Predators fans. Hockey analysts seem to like the Predators alright, but many of them have openly stated that the team "needs" to move.

I think that the sale of the team shows that Leipold has exhausted his efforts for keeping the team here. I'm not going to blame him if the team moves. He spent a lot of time and money trying to promote hockey in this town (and I think that he did a great job, too). If the team moves, hopefully the hockey fanbase will not disappear with the team. Atlanta had the Flames in the late 70's (I believe)...they moved, but now Atlanta has a new team. Perhaps our city just needs to grow a little more if we want to support multiple pro sport franchises.

As far as people bring up Bill Purcell....what did you expect? The man takes about as many risks as the boy in the bubble. He's a park builder, not a ballpark builder. He's not an awful mayor, he's just playing quiet mouse.

In parting, I am a HUGE Nashville Predators fan, and I will be very disappointed if the team decides to move. I really enjoyed the atmosphere that hockey brought to the arena and to the entire downtown area. I think that there is a LOT to lose if the team leaves, and I think that the mayor should do what he can to try to persuade the new owner to keep the team here (if that is at all possible). If the new owner decides to leave town, then I will never support that franchise again.

Archived