Predators Sold

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I can remember, there was talk this feverish years ago about the New Jersey Devils moving to Nashville. All the papers said that it was almost a done deal. But you see where that turned out. The Devils are still in new Jersey and have since won a Stanley Cup (I think).

So, the moral of the story is....don't count your chickens before they hatch. This is a scare tactic on the part of this Canadian investor to slow ticket sales. He knows that it will take this to be able to move the team. He is a shrewd businessman and knows how to influence people.

So, continue to buy tickets and support the Preds and the team isn't going anywhere.

I'd say the odds aren't good for the short term that they stay. But longer term, say three years, not so good at the moment. Folks in this town have to prove that it's not only a football town. I tell you, if you haven't gone to the boards.nashvillepredators.com to see what some hardcore fans think, you should. These guys are all over the paper for not sending a writer to this weekend's draft. A few of them have been trying to convince us to go cover it. But we really aren't sports writers and the business types who can talk qualitatively or get some league buzz from won't really be there. Plus, accessibility will be tough so we probably wouldn't get much out of it anyway. But the fans blame a lot on the local media for not featuring the team more in coverage or helping educate people on the game.

Nashville's sports market is flooded. Titans, UT, Vandy are a lot. Then you throw in Lipscomb, Trevecca, belmont, MTSU, TSU, APSU, Cumberland, and Sewanne and there are not a lot of dollars to go around. You also have the Sounds and the Kats. It is just too much.

With all due respect, the college, and semi-pro, teams you named off hardly draw enough to begin with. To put them in the same "league" as the Titans and the Predators would be doing both of our professional teams a real injustice. Especially when considering corporate and season ticket dollars being spent on those respective teams here. UT is a no brainer, Vandy only draws good when they play UT or Kentucky, and the others are only popular with the local residents when they are in the news (unfortuantly too, because they are great schools and semi-pro teams).

I heard on the radio down hear in Chattanooga that Leipold has turned down the deal with Balsillie.

HA!

That proves that being a lieing, disingenuous person has pitfalls. This increases the likelihood the team remains in Nashville, in my opinion.

Keep hockey in Nashville! just an update....

for those of you who would like to get involved, here are some things you can do....

1. visit these websites;

savethepredators.com

ourteamnashville.com

2. buy some charity items;

t-shirt

wristband

3. attend an event;

Concert and silent auction(to benefit Big Bro/Sis) 7/10

THE RALLY! Sommet Center 7/19 6pm

Zanies show 7/25

4. the easiest answer...buy tickets!

TICKETS!!

or 615-770-PUCK

...all info can be found at...predators message boards

thanks! Go Preds!

Lexy, I was not equating The Titans and Preds with college and semi-pro, I meant to infer that some people on a Tuesday night in January are going to buy a college basketball ticket instead of a Preds game. I just do not know with only 600,000 people in Davidson County if Nashville can get the 14,000 they need when some people will chose high school and college basketball over the Preds during that time.

Lexy, I was not equating The Titans and Preds with college and semi-pro, I meant to infer that some people on a Tuesday night in January are going to buy a college basketball ticket instead of a Preds game. I just do not know with only 600,000 people in Davidson County if Nashville can get the 14,000 they need when some people will chose high school and college basketball over the Preds during that time.

Your are partially correct. i can't blame people for attending other events, but the Preds also depend upon the other million people in the surrounding counties(and beyond!). blueraider, you of all people should know that there is a pretty strong base of hockey fans in Rutherford Co. Many are FSTH. I am a Davidson Co. resident, but an MTSU student, and a FSTH. i know that i'm not the only one. A good friend of mine lives in Franklin, goes to MTSU, and is also a FSTH. Gas prices suck, but when it comes to doing what you love, you just have to make it happen. Trust me, i will spend more in gas this season driving to games than i actually spend on tix.

P.S.- if your wondering what this equation is missing...it's called "mass-transit". That is what our city/state really needs to focus on!

• 2 weeks later...

This thursday July 19th at the Sommet Center is the Nashville Predators ticket-thon and fan rally.

This event is FREE for all ages, and should be a very fun event for Hockey enthusiast and casual fans alike. 104.5 The Zone will be broadcasting live all day from the areana floor, and fans businesses are encouraged to come join the festivities. The whole arena will be open to the public, and many radio personalities and players will be on hand. Avaliable seats will be marked so that people can choose, in person, if they would like a ticket plan.

Different events will be happening throughout the day leading up to a fan rally between 6-7pm. Come out, wear you Preads gear and show your support for Nashville hockey!

FREE parking will be provided by Central Parking at the 5th and Demonbreun Lot.

Great prizes will be given away all day provided by Pepsi Co and Budweiser.

Schedule of events from The Zone; here

6am-10am

The Wake Up Zone

Frank Wycheck, Kevin Ingram, and Mark Howard

10am-2pm

Nashville Predators Insiders

Willy Daunic and Pete Weber

11-1pm: Businesses are invited to come down to the arena and look over seat possibilities. Available seats will be tagged.

Box Lunches will be available for only $5.

Special thanks to Renaissance Nashville Hotel, hilton Downtown Nashville, Hilton Downtown Nashville, Loew's Venderbilt Hotel, Holiday Inn Select-Vanderbilt, Marriott Hotel-Vanderbilt, and Doubletree Hotel

2pm-6pm

The Sports Zone

George Plaster and Darren McFarland with Mike Coyne, Rick Regen, Butch Spyridon, and Ralph Shulz

6pm-7pm

THE RALLY

Any and all interested Predators fan is invited. The Rally will be held on the floor of The Sommet Center.

BE LOUD and wear your Predators Jersey and gear!

7pm-9pm

The Sports Zone

George Plaster, Willy Daunic, and Darren McFarland

To see a flier visit ourteamNasHviLle.com

• 3 weeks later...

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::good:

I read this morning that Leipold has signed a contract selling the Predators for $193 Million to a group of mostly local investors that have NO intention of moving the Predators from Nashville!!!!!!! Only one member of the group is from out of town. This is fabulous news! Yeah! :yahoo:

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::good:

I read this morning that Leipold has signed a contract selling the Predators for $193 Million to a group of mostly local investors that have NO intention of moving the Predators from Nashville!!!!!!! Only one member of the group is from out of town. This is fabulous news! Yeah! :yahoo:

it's a letter of intent. like the one he signed with balsille. the nhl still has to approve. while this is great news, nashville still needs to support their team (fans are doing great, but come on corporate nashville!!!!!). once i heard that the letter was signed, i could hear the crickets chirping in canada. check out espn though. scott burnside is still bashing nashville. maybe we should rename our city bashville. GO PREDS!!!!

it's a letter of intent. like the one he signed with balsille. the nhl still has to approve. while this is great news, nashville still needs to support their team (fans are doing great, but come on corporate nashville!!!!!). once i heard that the letter was signed, i could hear the crickets chirping in canada. check out espn though. scott burnside is still bashing nashville. maybe we should rename our city bashville. GO PREDS!!!!

Archived