Predators Sold

...And what has hockey done for the Bordeaux or Dickerson Road or Nolensville Road Economies? Oh wait, those places don't matter (silly me)... as long as dowtown restaruants are doing good it's worth it to tax the rest of the county to build & maintain an empty arena downtown...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...And what has hockey done for the Bordeaux or Dickerson Road or Nolensville Road Economies? Oh wait, those places don't matter (silly me)... as long as dowtown restaruants are doing good it's worth it to tax the rest of the county to build & maintain an empty arena downtown...

LMFAO....nice try. THE ARENA IS DOWNTOWN. IT WILL HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE DOWNTOWN ECONOMY, not the Bordeaux, Dickerson Road, or Nolensville Road economies. Hey....what impact would an arena in Bordeaux have on the Dickerson Road or Nolensville Road economies???????????????? NONE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S IN A DIFFERENT PART OF TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please abort yourself immediately.

This topic hits close to my profession... I'm a tax attorney, and I've worked with local governments around the country on matters like this.

Frankly, I don't understand the bass-ackward "thinking" that says the Predators being at GEC, er Sommet (excuse me), that they're keeping the arena from being used. Say what? I challenge anyone to tell me how even half of the dates used by the Predators will ever be used up by replacement events.

And the shortwaves who say that the team does not help outlying areas... let me tell you that I know several season ticket holders, and they are nearly all the time going DT before the games and having meals. One of them is our Nashville Managing Partner, and given his size, I'd say he's good for at least $100 every time. LOL I'm pretty sure that the taxes on those services are used county-wide. So to say that the team doesn't help Dickerson Rd. or White Bridge Rd. or Gallatin Rd... or anywhere else in Davidson County is simply ridiculous. I'm telling you from my professional experience that there is a multiplier effect for every public dollar spent on a new arena. Depending on several factors that multiplier can range from 5 to 15.

So I guess if the building sits empty then that's going to "help" the people in the outlying areas?

Sorry, but the whole point about the team using more tax dollars than they generate just doesn't wash with my research. I've done work for Fulton County on the development and tax impact for both Turner Field and GA Dome, and the people attacking the Predators and Titans deals are letting bitterness toward those past arrangements (who was it, Bredesen?) guide how they feel about the teams now without thinking about the actual present-day (net) tax benefits in the form of sales taxes from satellite businesses. Those are now sunk costs, and I suspect that those who profited most from them are long gone.

Like ATLBrian said, the Preds have a ripple effect that help out all areas of Nashville via the tax revenue they bring in. For my family and I'm sure others, the only times we ever come into Nashville are for- 1) Titans games, 2) Preds games, 3) TPAC every once in a while, 4) Airport, 5) Pancake Pantry, 6) Loveless 7) J. Crew in the MAGH (that one is probably a less-common attraction and I'm one of the few that considers that an attraction in Nashville) and 8) Concerts and other than that we hardly ever venture into Nashville. The money that we spend when we eat and park in Nashville for the 20 or so Preds games DO help Nolensville and Dickerson Rd as well as Bordeaux because without those attractions we have little to no reason to venture into Nashville and spend our money.

PS Here's my plan-- Williamson County can just spend the money to buy the extra 200 or so season tickets and give the tickets to high-performing students...thus guaranteeing the Preds stay.

ATTENTION!!!!

My fellow UP posters'

I would like to ask for your help in keeping the Predators in Nashville. As many of us have grown to love the sport of hockey and the Preds, it is now up to us to keep the team locally. I know a few of you are die-hard fans like me and are already fighting hard. However, I am also aware that some of you are casual fans or on-the-fence. You might not have the means or the desire to become a full season ticket holder. So what can you do to help? Here are a few idea's for all of us:

Please show your support by doing the following things:

1st: Go down fighting!

~~Call/email Gary Bettman at the NHL office and let him know that you wish for the Preds to stay in Nashville:

NHL--(212)789-2000

[email protected]

~~sign this petition to Jim Basillie:

Petition

2nd: Pack the house!!

~~Buy full season tickets!

~~If you can't do Full, buy a half pack/ice pack or as many individual game tickets as your heart desires.

~~Encourage your employer to buy season tickets.

~~Take friends/relatives to games to show them just how exciting hockey really is.

3rd: Show your Pride!

~~Wear your jersey

~~Wear that free T-shirt you got

~~Wear your Predators hat/tie to work.

~~Fly your car flag/

4th: Get informed!

~~Listen/watch local media to keep up to date on information.

~~ visit savethepreds.com

~~ check the Predators message board;

Preds message board

Remember, the Preds havn't moved yet! This deal is a long way from being over. In fact we are at the very least gauranteed one more season (maybe two) in town. If we the fans can come together in force we will have hockey for years to come!

A Support Rally is being planned so stay tuned to 104.5 and other local media outlets for more information. Also check the websites listed for up to the minuite info on what you can do.

This is our team, and no one can take them without a fight!

GO PREDS!

It's also time for the business community to really step up to the plate and support the Preds big time next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Nashville has the lowest season ticket sales of any NHL club to businesses. Common, Nashville business! We need you more than ever to support the Preds.

ESPN's figures are correct. The number's they show are our full attendance. Now the under 14k that you are thinking of is PAID attendance. Paid attendance for 06-07 was 13,815. 185 short of the 14k. The ESPN figures are actual attendance and include things such as comp. tickets.

Although we need to fill this place up, the figures are actually encouraging. Our season ticket holders are 65% individuals. The highest average in the NHL. The average is 60% business/40% individual(similar to the Titans). So, yes, the diehard fan base is there, all that we need is business support.

Edit: furthermore, when you look at some other teams in the league, we are by no means at the bottom. Chicago for example averages 12,700 per game in a city of 7-8 million. This leaves them at 62% of capacity. Nashville averaged 89% capacity!

How long does the current lease run?

I think we should be OK as long as the lease is in effect. After that, we could be in trouble....unless we start selling out all the games. As I said before, if the Nashville business community would only step up and buy a reasonable amount of tickets, sellouts would become commonplace, and there would be no worries.

I'm from Memphis, and this does not look good for the Predators. There seems to be to many rumors on relocation to Canada. I don't know the political situation in Nashville but I hear that alot of projects are being developed downtown and I am sure that the two pro teams, the Titians and the Predators, are fueling this construction boom and if the Predators relocate this could halt some projects or even slow them down. Memphis has seen a huge increase in new businesses and redevelopment downtown and it all started when the Grizzlies came to Memphis and the Fed Ex Forum was built. I wish local political leaders would show more leadership when it comes things like the Predators. The fact is professional teams generate exicement for new businesses, and more new businesses means more jobs. Hope the Predators stay in Nashville.

Will,

Excellent post! I did not realize that the cure clause could only be inacted one time. That would make me believe that it would be easier for the city to swallow that loss in revenue if it only had to do it once. Of course my hope is it is not neccesary and we all live happily everafter!

GO PREDS!!!!!

Here is something you should all enjoy. This is a survey by the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce about personal/business interest in the Predators. You can show that you have high or low interest. It's not biased, so if you absolutely have no interest in the future of Nashville hockey (not recommended) you can say so. I thought this is something that many of you might feel interested in even if you don't share the same passion for hockey that i do.

Enjoy, and GO PREDS!!

Chamber of Commerce-Survey

in case you can't see the link it is;

http://nashvillechamber.com/predators/

As I discussed with a few of you at the Forum meeting on Saturday, there is a way to contribute to the ticket totals for The Preds AND get a nice tax deduction for doing so. Over the past 10 years my company and I have been involved with The Nashville Predators Foundation.this organization has done some great things for children in the middle Tennessee area and the players have chipped in as well. The following is a way that we can all help raise the total ticket count and give back to the community if you cannot use the total season ticket package for your self. You can donate the whole season or just a few games. The cheap seats count as well!

Can't use your tickets? Give and let someone else go!

The Predators Foundation's Give and Go Program was established to make sure that tickets that cannot be used land in the hands of those that normally are unable to attend games.

Season tickets holders that are unable to use their tickets to a future Predators game can donate them through this Give and Go Program, and in turn receive a tax credit for the donation.

These donated tickets are then distributed by the Predators Foundation to non-profit organizations in the community. In fact, more than 140 non-profit organizations have signed up to receive these donated tickets on a rotating basis.

If you are a Predators season ticket holder and cannot use tickets to a future Predators game, please consider donating them to this Give and Go Program. Call the Foundation at (615) 770-2331 for more information on how to make the donation.

If you are part of a 501

Archived