Possible retailers to lure downtown from the burbs

GRDadof3

Just why did the River Bank Books close? I realize they probably didn't have enough business, but anything more specific than that? Would a bookstore chain do better? And why did the Hallmark close? I would think that office workers always have a need to buy cards and gifts, wrapping paper/gift bags for coworkers, family and friends during the day or right after work. I've always thought just about any major employment center could support a card shop.

I would also think that services such as dry cleaners/tailors and shoe/leather repair would do well. Drop off your stuff in the morning and pick up at night, particularly with more residences living in/near downtown. Or are those services already available?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was under the impression that the Hallmark-type store closed during the Founder's Trust renovations that covered it in wood for almost a year. Is that right?

Also, do you guys think Schuler's Books would do better than Riverbank did in the BC/BS building? The suburban locations could help out the downtown location financially until it gained its own clientelle, while the Downtown location would give the entire company some more visibility for people who don't live near Alpine or 28th/Breton.

The way I understand it is that Frames Unlimited was a presence DT for many years and did a great

business there. However, they moved to a different location, south of Fulton Street, and discovered

that people won't WALK across Fulton Street to shop. Downtown workers would DRIVE, but not walk!

No kidding! They discovered that unless they were in 'the core', workers had the perception that -

and maybe a true one, I don't know - there just wasn't enough time in their break to run an errand

that was past Fulton street and hoof it back to work in time. Something to consider. Anyway, Frames

talks about being back downtown when the right space at the right price opens up.

Also, could a dry cleaners make a go of it?

I'm surprised no ones mentions this yet:

A video rental store... I don't care if it's Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, (who I think are one and the same now?) Movie Gallery, Bobs house of DVDS...

I think a rental store could do quite well DT. (especially if its BB< you can do the whole netflix-style thing, and return the vids to the store)

blockstore.jpg

that wouldn't be a bad choice for the old 50 monroe center either. (Minus the obnoxious BLOCKBUSTER sign along Ionia)

Maybe Artemisia on 29th Street near Lake Eastbrook. They've gotta be paying a fortune for that space.

I think Coldstone is not your typical Dairy Queen/Tasty Twist kind of place. I too see people in there year round. That reminds me that I forgot we talked about a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins joint.

Maybe Artemisia on 29th Street near Lake Eastbrook. They've gotta be paying a fortune for that space.

I think Coldstone is not your typical Dairy Queen/Tasty Twist kind of place. I too see people in there year round. That reminds me that I forgot we talked about a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins joint.

Trying to figure out why so many corporate chains have been mentioned. blockbuster, buffalo wild wings, coldstone.. don't we want to support Local First? Schulers would be great - a local chain, Sami's would be great - local. I think we should focus on bringing local businesses or corporate co's that don't have any other gr locations downtown. Places that will drive suburbanites to the core. I've lived downtown since I moved here in '01 and I have been most drawn to clothing and other "goods" stores. Places like Little Bohemia, Vertigo, and La Fontsee (even though they're a bit north) have real urban appeal.

I tourist on the street yesterday stopped me and asked where the shopping district was. I pointed him to m.c. but I felt bad because I knew he'd get there and think, "this is it?". unsure.gif

Clothing Stores...locally owned (I think):

Snapdragon Boutique

1200 E Paris Ave Se

(616) 957-0500

Daniel's

616-949-7777

1100 E. Paris Ave SE

Bella Boutique

616-534-9820

3819 Rivertown Parkway

Grocery Stores:

Family Fare/D&W

Meijer

GB Russo's

Kingma's

Pharmacies:

RX (franchise...ala Kentwood Pharmacy)

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid (have you seen the new CVS on Gezon & Byron Center...not bad!)

Movie Theaters:

Celebration Cinema/Jack Loeks

Home Decor (I think would do very well downtown):

I Candy

Wealthy at Charles (Monroe at Ionia?)

...many more in the burbs

Home Improvement:

Ace Hardware franchise??

Scaled down Home Depot/Lowes? (Doesn't Secchia have something to do w/ Home Depot...lumber or something?)

Ice Cream/Treats:

Coldstone

Stuccis

Dairy Queen (franchise)

TCBY (franchise)

Baskin Robbins (franchise)/Duncan Doughnuts (sp?)

Misc:

Hallmark (franchise)

Panera Breadesque bakery (Wealthy St. Bakery, etc.)

...just some ideas

Trying to figure out why so many corporate chains have been mentioned. blockbuster, buffalo wild wings, coldstone.. don't we want to support Local First? Schulers would be great - a local chain, Sami's would be great - local. I think we should focus on bringing local businesses or corporate co's that don't have any other gr locations downtown. Places that will drive suburbanites to the core. I've lived downtown since I moved here in '01 and I have been most drawn to clothing and other "goods" stores. Places like Little Bohemia, Vertigo, and La Fontsee (even though they're a bit north) have real urban appeal.

I tourist on the street yesterday stopped me and asked where the shopping district was. I pointed him to m.c. but I felt bad because I knew he'd get there and think, "this is it?". unsure.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recently departed (2-5 years) retailers that were downtown could make a decent go of it now with more people living and just generally being downtown. The economics of the area have to have improved dramatically within the past 5 years, and when the new art museum finally opens and brings in thousands more that normally wouldn't come into the area, this'll really be the case.

I'd look at the kind of shops that populate downtown Holland - I think a lot of those places could do great things downtown, including Joseph Bank Clothiers (too bad they are only a short drive away in Breton Village), the Outpost, Teermans, Ten Thousand Villages, etc. Downtown Holland is a destination spot, too - not too many people walk there from their homes; instead most drive in, park, and walk around for a couple hours. No reason downtown GR can't be successful in a similar way, especially with an increasing downtown population...

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recently departed (2-5 years) retailers that were downtown could make a decent go of it now with more people living and just generally being downtown. The economics of the area have to have improved dramatically within the past 5 years, and when the new art museum finally opens and brings in thousands more that normally wouldn't come into the area, this'll really be the case.

I'd look at the kind of shops that populate downtown Holland - I think a lot of those places could do great things downtown, including Joseph Bank Clothiers (too bad they are only a short drive away in Breton Village), the Outpost, Teermans, Ten Thousand Villages, etc. Downtown Holland is a destination spot, too - not too many people walk there from their homes; instead most drive in, park, and walk around for a couple hours. No reason downtown GR can't be successful in a similar way, especially with an increasing downtown population...

OK fine. I have never been there (either the store or the town); was recalling someone mentioning Alma or another small city that began with an "A."

My point is: they aren't out at GrandSprawl or across from the Diag or MAC Ave.

They are here:

Variety BENZONIA (231) 882-7221 1747 BENZIE HWY 49616

Variety BRIDGMAN (269) 465-6413 4222 LAKE 49106

Variety CRYSTAL FALLS (906) 875-3272 301 SUPERIOR AVENUE 49920

Variety DURAND (989) 288-6447 126 N SAGINAW STREET 48429

Variety EAST TAWAS (989) 362-2751 138 NEWMAN STREET 48730

Variety GAYLORD (989) 732-2034 317 W MAIN ST 49735

Craft HASTINGS (269) 945-4484 130 E STATE ST 49058

Variety KIMBALL (810) 984-8200 5277 LAPEER RD 48074

Variety MANISTIQUE (906) 341-5911 239 S CEDAR ST 49854

Craft MARQUETTE (906) 226-9613 100 COLES DRIVE 49855

Variety NEWBERRY (906) 293-3490 S NEWBERRY AVENUE 49868

Variety ONAWAY (989) 733-8022 20724 STATE STREET 49765

Craft PETOSKEY (231) 347-3606 416 E MITCHELL ST 49770

Variety PIGEON (989) 453-2323 9 SOUTH MAIN ST 48755

Variety REED CITY (231) 832-9931 116 W UPTON AVE 49677

Craft TRAVERSE CITY (231) 946-8285 1110 E 8TH ST 49686

???

I don't follow the meaning behind "all that it implies about a community." Is there something I'm not understanding about the BF chain? (Front for drug runners or gang-bangers? Magnet for people of a different demographic who want to spend money DT?)

Hastings, TC, Petoskey, and Marquette are all pretty cool cities. I don't see a small general-store type of retailer as implying anything negative. On the other hand, we have Scary wigs, We Walked Out One Day books, and 70 Monroe Center.

Would rather have a BF than the present empty storefronts and bars bars bars.

"All it implies" would be a small, rural, relatively poor community. Is that GR? It just seems lke it would be WAY out of place in downtown Grand Rapids.

Just curious, when was the last time you were in a BF? I ask because I wonder if you haven't romanticized the old corner general store a bit.

Also....just out of curiousity...has there been discussion of how exactly this task force or the city is going to "lure" these retailers downtown? Is it just an advocacy campaign, or will there be incentives to relocate, etc? Luring national retailers will be a tough plan, considering their costs would be totally out of whack.

FWIW, I think an Apple store downtown would be brilliant.

I had heard a rumor months ago about a BW3 moving in, but it was apparently false.

"All it implies" would be a small, rural, relatively poor community. Is that GR? It just seems lke it would be WAY out of place in downtown Grand Rapids.

Just curious, when was the last time you were in a BF? I ask because I wonder if you haven't romanticized the old corner general store a bit.

FWIW, I think an Apple store downtown would be brilliant.

Hastings, Petoskey, Traverse City, and Marquette are not "small, rural, relatively poor." Gaylord has a thriving DT. East Tawas is on the "sunrise coast" and has a decent tourist trade.

Last time I was in a BF (Bowling Green, Ohio) definitively was June 2001, and I may have been more recently. How about you? [i will print the list off and take it with me this weekend, along with my camera.]

An Apple store would be nice, but I wonder how many trade show tourists and DT diners would need to drop in on a regular basis...let alone DT condo residents. Gotta go pick up a new USB cable!

Archived