Commuting on a motorcycle

As gas prices go up I am finding more arguments for buying a motorcycle for my 35 mile (round trip) a day commute. My wife, however, is totally terrified (now there's a nifty aliteration) that I will get killed on Thomasville Road or Capital Circle.

I have wanted a motorcycle for 30 years and sometimes feel really whipped for allowing my wife's fears to keep me from getting one. Anyone here commute on a motorcyle? Just how legit are her fears?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As gas prices go up I am finding more arguments for buying a motorcycle for my 35 mile (round trip) a day commute. My wife, however, is totally terrified (now there's a nifty aliteration) that I will get killed on Thomasville Road or Capital Circle.

I have wanted a motorcycle for 30 years and sometimes feel really whipped for allowing my wife's fears to keep me from getting one. Anyone here commute on a motorcyle? Just how legit are her fears?

I am looking into buying myself a scooter of some kind. I work at Capital Circle and Conner Blvd. So from my house on Buck Lake to there would only be about 5 miles. I like the sound of 75 to 80 mpg. I only work 4 days a week so I would only spend about $10 a month in gas.

Bahmo how much was your Vino??

I am looking into buying myself a scooter of some kind. I work at Capital Circle and Conner Blvd. So from my house on Buck Lake to there would only be about 5 miles. I like the sound of 75 to 80 mpg. I only work 4 days a week so I would only spend about $10 a month in gas.

Bahmo how much was your Vino??

Interesting topic. My hubby has a scooter being delivered sometime this week. It makes economical sense - his commute is about a mile (up CCNE), and it was about time for a new car anyway. Since we take my car whenever we go out, his only real need was his work commute. He went with a very cheap import to 'test the waters', with an intent to upgrade in the next year or so. I think total cost was around $1k.

Interesting topic. My hubby has a scooter being delivered sometime this week. It makes economical sense - his commute is about a mile (up CCNE), and it was about time for a new car anyway. Since we take my car whenever we go out, his only real need was his work commute. He went with a very cheap import to 'test the waters', with an intent to upgrade in the next year or so. I think total cost was around $1k.

This is so funny to me! I was on the street here right outside my job one day trying to get to work on time when this big-head on this little white scooter pulls out in front of me... I pumped my breaks, and he seemed to not be able to go any faster than 25-30 MPH... which wasn't bad for this particular road, but I'd hate it if I faced him on 90 or CC which are nearby. Question: Should scooter drivers be allowed to drive in the bike lane?

Always glad to hear about new scooter drivers. I just hope that the scooter isn't one that is configured to max out at around 30 mph, as that will make CCNE quite the adventure. If that is an issue, there should be some options to improve the top speed. I haven't visited in awhile, but Provoscooter.com has a lot of good information and a pretty active forum that should provide you with the info needed to make the necessary modifications.

This is so funny to me! I was on the street here right outside my job one day trying to get to work on time when this big-head on this little white scooter pulls out in front of me... I pumped my breaks, and he seemed to not be able to go any faster than 25-30 MPH... which wasn't bad for this particular road, but I'd hate it if I faced him on 90 or CC which are nearby. Question: Should scooter drivers be allowed to drive in the bike lane?

What is the deal with the Chinese brand? Seems they are ALL made in China, Taiwan, or somewhere over there. Seems to me that Chinese one would be ok? They have been riding them for years. I have been looking at a TANK model. I like the KYMCO ones at All About Scooters. I just dont want to pay that much for one.

What is the deal with the Chinese brand? Seems they are ALL made in China, Taiwan, or somewhere over there. Seems to me that Chinese one would be ok? They have been riding them for years. I have been looking at a TANK model. I like the KYMCO ones at All About Scooters. I just dont want to pay that much for one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, everyone. I ride my scooter to work as often as I can. I even have a blog about my scooter and my experiences with it. You can find it at Tallahassee Scooters . I am by no means an expert but if I may give my opinions about scooters and Tallahassee.

First off, if you are fairly careful, riding a scooter is fun. I have had a couple of instances with dumb drivers, but not because I was on a scooter, their driving would have been just as dumb if I had been in a car.

I have learned a few things to watch out for when I am riding my scooter. First, I do not follow closely behind large SUVs, trucks or Vans. If someone is trying to turn left, they may mnot notice me behind them and turn into my path.

I'm also very much more aware when I am riding in traffic to try to stay out of cars potential blind spots.

I guess riding a scooter is a bit more dangerous than riding in a car but I'm a very safe driver in a car and that carries over to riding my scooter.

Some of you are considering a scooter purchase. For me, the Honda, Suzuki and Yamahas were out of my range. There are some brands that are just as good for a more reasonable price. Some of these brands are at All About Scooters on Apalachee Parkway. The brands are Kymco (excellent brand, I just upgraded to a Kymco), TGB, TNG. These are all good brands but Kymco is the best of the non big three names.

If you are thinking of a scooter, be aware that a 50 cc scooter (really a 49cc) will have a top flat out speed of 40 mph, give or take a few mph. That may be enough for riding on the back streets but if you ever plan on riding on Monroe, Magnolia, Apalachee, Tennessee, Capital Circle, don't even consider a 49cc scooter.

A 150cc scooter will cruise all day at 50mph so it will get you on those streeets ok. I recently upgraded to a 250cc scooter and it will cruise all day at 65 or 70.

As for the confusion of Chinese/ Tawianese scooters, any scooter made in Taiwan is head and shoulders above any Chinese made scooter. Chinese scooters can be a good purchase. My friend bought a Roketa (Chinese) scooter for less than $1000 and it has over 1000 miles on it, trouble free. He is replacing the carb right now because the manifold intake gasket cracked and you have to buy the carb to get that part. So, he's out $100 but still, that's not bad for what he's gotten, for far less than what you pay for a better brand of scooter.

If you might be interested in low cost Chinese scooters, go to Scootdawg forums . Yes, that's a goofy name, but that site is extremely informative and the peoiple on the forum are amazing. I have seen regulars there go out to their garage, take their scooter apart so they can take pictures to help out other people on the forums.

So, hopefully this long post has helped. If there's anything I can answer, feel free to ask.

Also, if any of you scooter owners want to ride with us, go to my site and check out the forums. Riding as a group is a blast and our rides never go over 55mph or so so most any scooter can ride with us.

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Tallahassee ScottFla! :yahoo:

That was quite interesting ScottFla. I didn't realize they made scooters that go as high as 65-70 MPH. How much would you say one of these 250cc scooters costs?

Secondly, I've often wondered this... is there a weight max for scooters? I'm sure there is. What are most brands reccomending, if you know?

Other question, is your scooter gas powered? And if so, on average how many miles per gallon are you getting?

Glad you joined us! Thanks for sharing. :)

The 250cc scooters range in price from under $2000 for a Chinese scooter, but you have to be willing to work out the kinks on these bikes, but they can be decent scooters. There are a few 250cc scooters under $3000 that are decent, reliable scooters. TNG makes one, and it retails for $2799, you can see it at All About Scooters. (For the record, I do not work there.)

Better quality 250cc scooters like my Kymco People 250 go for $4000 and up. The Honda 250cc scooter go for over $5000. Vespa 200 and 250cc scooters go for more than that. Load capacity on the 250's ought to be over 400 pounds, the Kymco site is down at the moment or I'd have exact figures.

People are very suprised to find out that my scooter can go 80mph, but some of the people I ride with own bigger scooters, in the 500 and 650cc range and they can go over 100 mph...but I'm pretty sure they don't. At the 400cc and up range, even the 250cc range, you have the power of a similarly sized motorcycle, but with the advantage of no gears, which is very nice in stop and go traffic.

Most scooters are gas powered, and I get over 75 mpg on mine. My LT150 (which is for sale now!) got around the same mileage. Another thing many people don't kno is that it takes regular gas, you don't have to mix anything with it. Old scooters had two stroke engines, which required mixing oil into the gas you used.

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Tallahassee ScottFla! :yahoo:

That was quite interesting ScottFla. I didn't realize they made scooters that go as high as 65-70 MPH. How much would you say one of these 250cc scooters costs?

Secondly, I've often wondered this... is there a weight max for scooters? I'm sure there is. What are most brands reccomending, if you know?

Other question, is your scooter gas powered? And if so, on average how many miles per gallon are you getting?

Glad you joined us! Thanks for sharing. :)

Archived