Mayor wants to build amphitheater on the Thermal Plant site.

chris holman

I dont know about this one. There's enough venues in Nashville already. I will support this more if it was a mix use development. We lost Summer Lights and a few more events like it. We need more retail more than anything right now. Link :Tennessean I just hope its not a stand alone project. :unsure:

I still think the ballpark would have been nice with the ballpark, retail, and hotels.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be nice if there was something else with it, but I don't think that entire prime piece of riverfront real estate should be taken up by a bandshell and a large lawn.

Big mistake!! This is absolutely unoriginal. It's mediocre thinking like this that holds Nashville back. How soon before Purcell gets out of there?

There absolutely has to be mixed use development around the site and I am sure as the Mayor and Mike Jameson articulate their position, it will include liner buildings of some sort around a large city park with an amphitheater. It cannot be a shed or a shell. It must be, if this happens, an architecturally significant world class venue that will bring serious attention and good music, to Nashville. Furthermore, it should be used as a community asset. I can

An ampitheatre? Uh.........why? Why there? Don't we already have an ampitheatre at the Bicentennial Mall? We already have a large outdoor concert venue downtown....RIVERFRONT PARK. The city should at least try to make some money off of that thermal site...I have no clue how a medium sized concert venue would generate as much revenue/economic impact/taxes as any of the other proposals for that site.

Purcell, to call you a retard would be an insult to the mentally retarded.

Big mistake!! This is absolutely unoriginal. It's mediocre thinking like this that holds Nashville back. How soon before Purcell gets out of there?

So then you're saying that an original and forward thinking idea would be to take up the entire space with an ampitheater and nothing else?

So then you're saying that an original and forward thinking idea would be to take up the entire space with an ampitheater and nothing else?

The amphitheatre is what I was saying is unorginal... especially for that parcel. Hayes had some good insight about opening up that area to retail fronts.

There absolutely has to be mixed use development around the site and I am sure as the Mayor and Mike Jameson articulate their position, it will include liner buildings of some sort around a large city park with an amphitheater. It cannot be a shed or a shell. It must be, if this happens, an architecturally significant world class venue that will bring serious attention and good music, to Nashville. Furthermore, it should be used as a community asset. I can

I don't see the point in putting an amphiteatre at this site unless it is part of a larger project that includes a park, retail and some freaking creativity. And I think the goal would have to be to out-do Chicago's Millennium Park.

Remember--this is supposed to be THE prime piece of real estate in this city--so whatever is done, we should be thinking big.

The amphitheatre is what I was saying is unorginal... especially for that parcel. Hayes had some good insight about opening up that area to retail fronts.

I agree completely. It would have to be a part of a larger complex or inside of the plaza of a mixed use structure or something of that nature.

I think green space is out of the question for this property as it is some of the most valuable real estate DT. If they do anything, it would be to sell the land to the highest bidder and see what is done then. I guarantee that the property would be very high density to recoup the money that would be paid for it. If the city wanted to stipulate what is on it then you put a clause in the sale saying it has to be mixed use and has to be developed by a certain date.

I think green space is out of the question for this property as it is some of the most valuable real estate DT. If they do anything, it would be to sell the land to the highest bidder and see what is done then. I guarantee that the property would be very high density to recoup the money that would be paid for it. If the city wanted to stipulate what is on it then you put a clause in the sale saying it has to be mixed use and has to be developed by a certain date.

Good points... in addition, the East Bank has been slated for a lot of green space. So how much is needed, and what's the tradeoff when it comes to making space for tax generating businesses?

Good points... in addition, the East Bank has been slated for a lot of green space. So how much is needed, and what's the tradeoff when it comes to making space for tax generating businesses?

Well, maybe the land adjacent the green space becomes increasingly valuable and reserved for private development while the park space can be enjoyed by all.

Well, maybe the land adjacent the green space becomes increasingly valuable and reserved for private development while the park space can be enjoyed by all.

That's the whole nub... and apparently the MDHA commissions have concluded that the property should have development on it. I do recall seeing some reference about tying it into the riverfront greenway now that the Sounds are out of the picture. So it sounds like there will be adjacent/accessible green space. This particular piece of land does not need to be left "green".

That's the whole nub... and apparently the MDHA commissions have concluded that the property should have development on it. I do recall seeing some reference about tying it into the riverfront greenway now that the Sounds are out of the picture. So it sounds like there will be adjacent/accessible green space. This particular piece of land does not need to be left "green".

I was just replying to your question generally, I'm not advocating for any particular property to be left green or what not. Like you said, there is planned greenspace for the East Bank, I am arguing that the adjacent land will be made more valuable by turning formerly blighted or industrial land into attractive multi-use space. I agree, the thermal site doesn't have to be turned over for green space.

I, for one, think an ampitheater would work here. I can imagine concerts and what not... and if situated just right, you could have some prime watching from atop the Shelby bridge, maybe even Gateway too.

This, of course, would only work if tied into the rest of the riverfront park area, as others have said. Wasn't it SBER in the first place who first proposed this idea anyway? I was thinking they said if the Sounds deal fell through, they had another development idea including an amphitheater, and would still be involved with all the other buildings and what not. Maybe I misunderstood, though.

Excuse the bad screen cap:

Amphitheater1.jpg

Note the Pinnacle Bldg to the left. And there appears to be proposed development around the perimeter; hadn't heard anything about that.

It will seat 3,000 plus another 2,000 standing. They could begin construction within 90 days and it would take two years to complete per channel 2.

Here's the news link from channel 2. The development does seem to have space for some retail options, and other developments as well. But who is the developer? , And 90 days before ground breaking seems very fast, without putting time into the design and the surrounding development. Link: News 2

If there going to build this it DOES NOT need to be a rushed project. I want to know who will be designing this project. The design needs to be World Class not equal or less than Starwood was. Starwood was nice as well. :rolleyes: But being that this is downtown should change the scale and scope of the design of this development.

WE Are Music City for crying out loud!! :tough: WE Need to be thinking big!!

If there going to build this it DOES NOT need to be a rushed project. I want to know who will be designing this project. The design needs to be World Class not equal or less than Starwood was. Starwood was nice as well. :rolleyes: But being that this is downtown should change the scale and scope of the design of this development.

WE Are Music City for crying out loud!! :tough: WE Need to be thinking big!!

Exactly! If this thing breaks ground in 90 days it is going to be a major disappointment. How can something that is rushed not fall short? We need to take our time, make sure we have the best plan. Then, just as you said--the design needs to be World Class.

Archived