Mayor wants to build amphitheater on the Thermal Plant site.

chris holman

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another article from the Cp this evening reguarding the East Bank site. If this is built we may be able to get rid of the giant pile of metal on the east bank and they may be receptive to the idea now.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/east-bank-site-picks-steam-sounds-stadium-after-studys-release

I would not mind PCS Metals gone, but where would the go and who would want them? They need water, rail, and interstate. At one time Maury County was interested because they desperately need jobs, but do they have the skilled labor?

Moving PCS Metals will be a long legal battle since they have a 98 year lease on the current property, and it would take a decade to move all of their "stuff." This may be too much trouble than its worth. With baseball having financial problems, is it worth building a 40 million dollar stadium for a minor league team? Minor league is basically amateur league. Are they worth the money?

In my 7 years in the hotel business, I never, not once, had a guest ask me where they could go see a minor league baseball game. Never!

I am all for the infill and the general development, but baseball may be a mistake and another music venue may also be a mistake. We already have a stage on the riverbank with seating for the Symphony. I have mixed feelings on this. Do we really need an amphitheater?

I had a discussion with James Weaver last year (he represents PSC) and there have been ongoing talks for years about moving the company. He stated that it would take 3 months to move the equipment form one site to the next. Adam Liff stated in an article yesterday that there are 2 suitable sites that would work, Cockerill Bend and the area at the intersection of 65N and 24. Both have the required interstate, rail, and water access. It is not that hard to do just expensive. The economic realities gained would far outweigh the costs over time. Its just hard to get folks to realize this...

I'm confident the timing and stars will align some day, probably before not too long. I'm on the side for the East Bank and agree with producer that the economic realities of reclaiming this land will be huge. Take an expansive swath of flat riverfront property, toss in an NFL stadium, a minor league baseball stadium, the bridges, the skyline, the future skyline, Cumberland Park, a well thought out residential and commercial component, across from an enhanced Riverfront Park plus the intangibles that make us who were are along with our love of being entertained and what's difficult to understand? Seems quite a simple concept to me. I don't understand why people are all blurry on this. Oh, there must not be a app for that.

I miss the meetings too. I fully intended to be there this morning, but life happened again. Major stuff at the house, but wrapping it up. Who knew a hidden leak would result in a 3-month renovation ordeal...and a spiffy new kitchen. Too bad the pipes didn't explode, insurance might have cared then....dang 'em. I swear I'll be there next month. I'm all over all this stuff going on around town and would like nothing more than to sit and talk about it. If you're up for a Saturday coffee beforehand, just let me know.

• 1 month later...

I'll withold judgement until I see a rendering, but putting just an amphiteater on that prime riverfront property seems like an awfully big underuse of the space. Hopefully they'll at least put some inviting gardens around it or something, because downtown could definitely use some more well-placed, well-planned park/public space. I guess I just always invisioned this lot becoming some grand tower or iconic monumental structure or something.

^ I agree. An amphitheater will only be able to hold scheduled events from probably late April up until September. Retail would be much better, somewhat like Peabody Place in Memphis, just hopefully more successful. Plus, how long would it take the amphitheater to turn a profit? These have been tried in the past and have failed, and add nothing (other than the views of downtown) that a concert indoors doesn't offer, (although I personally like outdoors concerts). If an amphitheater is the answer for this site, then I hope it is incorporated into a park or some other public space, not just pavilion.

Archived