Mayor wants to build amphitheater on the Thermal Plant site.

chris holman

I agree this shouldn't be rushed into. Such a prominent site needs a signature structure, perhaps designed by someone as notable as Santiago Calatrava!

His Atlanta Symphony proposal:

grfk_SSOverview.jpg

It wouldn't be to that scale, obviously, but something along these lines, in contrast with the Symphony Hall and Country Music Hall of fame would make this urban area unique among American cities.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is who is paying for it. The current administration is not known for throwing big bucks around and all of you are correct in stating that this needs to be state of the art. It is a great idea if connected with residential, retail and the riverfront. I was at a luncheon with all the CVB folks and music industry prople who both talked about the potential for audio and video recording at this facility, much like Austin City Limits. That would be very cool along with the potential for Symphony dates, maybe even Shakespere festival style events. But without some forethought and MONEY, it will just be another thing that could have been.

Being Music City and not having our own amphitheatre, why not try something new that would put us on a national stage with such a facility. Why not a world-class facility with a retractable (possibly glass) roof that would keep the amphitheatre going year-round? It could completely open up on those summer nights and close up keeping the great views of downtown during winter or stormy weather. It would still capture the growing Nashville skyline and keep the audience out of the inclement weather. I guess this might meet the requirement for a world class facility, as this would be the first kind of amphitheatre to my knowledge. And while they're at it, increase capacity to 11-12,000. Why such a low attendance figure. I know they're limited with space, and these are just the first renderings, but i think the buildings surrounding the park itself could be thinned a little bit creating more fans in the seats.I would agree, however, that street retail and commercial and possibly resedential should be surrounding this venue bordering the streets. Any thoughts?

Being Music City and not having our own amphitheatre, why not try something new that would put us on a national stage with such a facility. Why not a world-class facility with a retractable (possibly glass) roof that would keep the amphitheatre going year-round? It could completely open up on those summer nights and close up keeping the great views of downtown during winter or stormy weather. It would still capture the growing Nashville skyline and keep the audience out of the inclement weather. I guess this might meet the requirement for a world class facility, as this would be the first kind of amphitheatre to my knowledge. And while they're at it, increase capacity to 11-12,000. Why such a low attendance figure. I know they're limited with space, and these are just the first renderings, but i think the buildings surrounding the park itself could be thinned a little bit creating more fans in the seats.I would agree, however, that street retail and commercial and possibly resedential should be surrounding this venue bordering the streets. Any thoughts?

Im not sold on an amp theater but your idea is one I can get behind. I think something of that scale and inovative would make a mark on the city for the better. Oh and I know it's my opnion but that Atlanta Amp theater is just ugly. Looks like a bad crack dream.

You know its real funny how the city will not spend our money for a baseball stadium but will jump at a chance to spend the money on another DT venue. Tell me wht the difference is??? Anyone want to guess how much this will cost???

Another story from Channel 5.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=6572558

You know its real funny how the city will not spend our money for a baseball stadium but will jump at a chance to spend the money on another DT venue. Tell me wht the difference is??? Anyone want to guess how much this will cost???

I know, Ron. There's no sense to it. Just shows where the political will for these projects lies.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a hunch, but I would bet that SBR will be very active in this project if approved. They have spent a lot of money, made contacts, drawings, engineering work, models, etc. The city would be foolish to drop them as they are already involved with Rolling Mill Hill despite the fact that the Sounds deal has fallen through. I would bet that they will continue to be actively involved in the rest of the river front development over the coming years as well.

Michael Hayes may be able to give insight if he is able. I am sure there are a lot of things happening behind the scenes.

It's called politics. It's perceived as politically risky to support government funded stadiums now that both the Titans Stadium and the arena were publically funded. They don't perceive the same political risk supporting this kind of public project. But, of course you're right. There's really no difference.

I think an amphitheater is a horrible idea. Who wants to sit outside at a concert in the heat and bugs? Star Wood or whatever the name was never really got used, so why is the city wasting valuable land with this type of development?

While you may not feel this is the best site for this, an outside music venue is needed. So many bands and musicians are skipping Nashville on tours this summer because of the lack of a quality outside music venue. I went to multiple concerts each summer at starwood or whatever you want to call it. I know many people wouldn't want to be in that atmosphere, but as Music City, a diverse offering of venues is essential. I'm still surprised starwood is gone because it was always being used during the summer and fall, but there is no doubt in my mind we need a replacement...the location is debatable.

I think an amphitheater is a horrible idea. Who wants to sit outside at a concert in the heat and bugs? Star Wood or whatever the name was never really got used, so why is the city wasting valuable land with this type of development?

i do, and thousands other nashvillians. starwood had a TON of concerts and was quite a popular venue. every summer since i can remember always had starwood in it somehow. you can see an indoor concert at a lot of places in and around nashville, but where can you enjoy the outside entertainment? the heat and bugs go away when you're too busy having fun.

Here in Virginia Beach we have the Verizon Virginia Beach Ampitheatre and it does very well and also gets some very high profile acts. I don't think that the ampitheatre is such a bad idea as long as they try to incorporate some retail and residensce in the vacinity but then again who is going to want to live right next to a concert venue?? :unsure:

Well, My I believe something that will be open year around would be better for the themal site. I like the idea of the amphitheater there but I would prefer a downtown shopping mall or a theater with a retractable roof, i guess all im saying is build something there that can be used all year around....

^^^

I agree...I would also like something that will be used more often...perhaps not every day, but more often than a concert venue gets used.

As far as a downtown outdoor concert venue goes...I'd rather have something like Market Square in Knoxville than an ampitheater. I'm not sure if we have an ideal location for something like that...perhaps that would be a good new development for 'SoBro' or the Gulch.

I agree with Sunday's Tennessean editorial that an amphitheatre concept probably has merit but should be carefully studied before anything is finalized. Any deal thoughtfully designed, vetted and structured (from a financing standpoint) isn't possible in the remaining few months of term for this council or this mayor. Purcell can chirp all he want about his new "vision" for what this site should be but the reality is that he blew his ample opportunity to have a hand in what happens on that site. The best he can hope for now is to begin a process that will be handed off to the new administration and council to get done. The more fingerprints he leaves on this deal the less likely the new folks will be to see it though IMO.

--Before the Sounds deal went stale, it was mentioned that the stadium would provide another possbile venue for things like the CMA festival. So in that way, I guess this amphitheatre proposal makes sense.

--but--it will not even come close to being big enough to replace Starwood--and the riverfront masterplan did propose an amphitheatre down by the new civic square. so i guess that this would replace that? I would think that our city leaders should be discussing which site is actually the best place for an amphitheatre. Also what type of venue is best to build--bigger, smaller? And if we are going to build one, should we attempt to build something big enough to replace Starwood? --there is plenty of land on the other side of the river. Also what type of impact does an amphitheatre have on the SoBro neighborhood as far as noise? Are loud concerts going to be a welcome thing on a regular basis?

--remember all the formal proposals the city reviewed? The city (or the reviewing committee representing the city) decided that none of the proposals was a clear winner. then they said that the sounds proposal would be the non-clear winner to have their proposal developed. maybe we should have suspected back then that there wasn't the political will to get the stadium done. so why did they not go back and start completely over? i know that would really draw things out, but this amphitheatre thing came out of left field in the process and was then just latched on to. I am not against it at all if it is done right and takes full advantage of this prime piece of land. But there certainly seem to be a lot of unanswered questions about this thing. I just hope that they get answered before the city jumps in head first.

I am not against it at all if it is done right and takes full advantage of this prime piece of land. But there certainly seem to be a lot of unanswered questions about this thing. I just hope that they get answered before the city jumps in head first.

I think that pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about it, and I think a lot of people might be willing to get on board with the idea if those questions were answered. I am in no way saying I want work to begin tomorrow on this project because I think it would end up with a lot of flaws

Archived