Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ainulindale

CBD

5 posts in this topic

Miami's a phenomenal city, what goes into making its downtown area great?

To me, what makes a great downtown area is people. You can have a great CBD built but if no one is frequenting downtown, it's pointless. Having sports stadiums, clubs, a couple stand-alone dept. stores and tourist attractions within 2 blocks of each other is what makes a good downtown. Can't forget about public transportation.

:offtopic: Ya, I live in Pittsburgh and while we have a great downtown area with density, shops and restaurants, old buildings, and new skyscrapers, we don't have many people living there. Downtown shuts down around 5 and everyone moves to South Side Flats or the Strip District. I think putting up more apatments and connecting the light rail system from Oakland and the surrounding area to downtown would help.

I agree with the above with the exception that these south florida downtowns need to attract MORE jobs. I am not talking some small companies either. Real jobs, i.e. fortune 500 companies that pay well. You add that with condos, apartments, retail and night life and you will have a killer downtown.