Yvonne Johnson is the new mayor of Greensboro

cityboi

Mayor Keith Holliday has decided he will not run another term this fall which means the city will have a new mayor soon

of the 3 which should be mayor of Greensboro? and what are the weaknesses and stregnths in the potential candidates?

Yvonne Johnson (city councilwoman)

Joey Medaloni (downtown business/nightclub owner)

Milton Kern (downtown redevloper)

Yvonne Johnson brings political experience to the table having serve on city council and as mayor pro tem for a number of years. She also serves on several boards in the community. If elected she would become Greensboro's second female mayor and Greensboro's first African-American mayor. Her experience proves shes qaulified for mayor

Joey Medaloni would bring a breath of fresh air to city leadership. His experience and tract record in single handedly transforming downtown Greensboro's nightlife proves hes qaulified for city leadership. Joey would be the youngest mayor in the city's history and would help lead the city of Greensboro to the next level. A youthful leader could be what the city needs and could help Greensboro's image.

Milton Kern has also contributed to the redevelopment of downtown Greensboro. While he has no political experience, He is a leader.

because of North Carolina law, mayors dont really have any power like they do in other states but they can influence the direction of the city.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article in todays News & Record about the two candidates running for mayor, Yvonne Johnson and Milton Kern.

Greensboro could make history as locals are saying Yvonne Johnson will likely win the mayoral election. If elected Yvonne Johnson would be Greensboro's first African-American mayor and the city's second female mayor. There is good reason to believe she will win. for more than 7 years straight she was elected at an at large seat on city-council which means she had to secure many votes from white residents. She is the only African-American that has won an at-large seat in Greensboro . three of those years she won more votes than the other at large seat which were held by white council members. That allowed her to become Greensboro's first African-American mayor-protem. Charlotte has already had an African-American mayor (architect Harvey Gantt) Durham's current mayor is African-American. I think it shows that a community is progressive when people of all races and backgrounds are elected into leadership.

Yvonne Johnson article

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/71020013

Milton Kern article

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/71020012

• 2 weeks later...

The Greensboro News & Record just endorsed Yvonne Johnson as mayor of Greensboro. Many are already saying she will likely win due to her experience on city council and her wide support on an at large seat.

Yvonne Johnson - would become Greensboro's first black mayor and has more than 10 years of experience in political office. Her focus would be reducing crime, stopping gangs, economic development and improving race relations.

news19_johnson.jpg

Milton Kern - has no political experience but has contributed to the success of downtown Greensboro and vows to expand that success across the city. Kern is part developer of the CityView Apartments in Southside.

m_fe64ff6bcfb89394e00da1d50cc4d7fd.jpg

I really just hope that she is an advocate of good development practices and enforcing planning guidelines (which I'm not convinced Kern would have been) and of course in education related things. She can absolutely suck at everything else and I would still be happy.

I really just hope that she is an advocate of good development practices and enforcing planning guidelines (which I'm not convinced Kern would have been) and of course in education related things. She can absolutely suck at everything else and I would still be happy.

^ Or reactionary/knee-jerk guilt-laden.

The fact that she is an African American female will cast doubt on her true abilities and make many think she was elected because she is female and black, and infact I am wondering that very thing. I could care less if we are viewed as progressive or advanced in being racially "equal" - being qualified is of much more importance than impressing our neighbors.

^ Or reactionary/knee-jerk guilt-laden.

The fact that she is an African American female will cast doubt on her true abilities and make many think she was elected because she is female and black, and infact I am wondering that very thing. I could care less if we are viewed as progressive or advanced in being racially "equal" - being qualified is of much more importance than impressing our neighbors.

^ I agree with you, but the trend in today's news sources and popular gossip always stresses some other kind of non-relevant angle, which therefore becomes relevant due to our societal preoccupations with those things.

If I were Yvonne I would be insulted that my race and sex were mentioned at all, the position is about the person.

That said, I feel it is great, because she can be an example to aspire to, and a leader for those who look for role models in those sharing their own personal attributes, but making a spectacle of those attributes only detracts from her qualifications to handle the job. Have no doubt, whether the O reports her race and sex, those who see her/know her/follow her will get the message regardless.

• 4 weeks later...

be thankful Yvonne won. Her opponent Milton Kern is against incentives. Action Greensboro has a comprehensive map which shows an expanded "high-rise office district". Like I said before, I think the council and mayor should look into providing financial incentives to get companies just to move downtown. The FedEx hub will attract distribution and manfacturing operations which in turn could attract associated office operations. A downtown incentive package could be set up to make it more attractive for these companies to move downtown as oppose to being near the airport. (tax breaks,

enterprise zones, infrastructure discounts, even utility discounts to entice them to build downtown). This has be done in my opinion because currently office space is cheaper near the airport. Personally I think office operations belong downtown and manufacturing and distribution operations belong near PTI. Just think if HondaJet had built their world headquarters downtown. This is what I think the mayor and council should focus on. If we do this, downtown will really take off into orbit. While restaurants, nightclubs and theaters are great, jobs are the root of the vitalilty of any downtown. Jobs attract more office tower construction, they attract more residential which attracts more services in the downtown area. Downtown Greensboro should be in better economic shape than the airport area and not the other way around. A large job base also helps increase the city's population without annexation. This is key for creating the mass to have light or commuter rail in Greensboro.

It is great that Yvonne supports mass transit. Im not so sure that city leaders are gungho on streetcars but they need to be

Archived