Strawberry Hill Redevelopment in South Charlotte

4agreatcity

Anyone know more details about rezoning app 2007-95? This is for the shopping center that contains the Fresh market, Eckerd, Red Rocks, etc. From the site plan it looks like they are going to tear down the Eckerds and the buildings on the Eckerd side of the shopping center, cut a new road through the middle and build about 2x as much shopping space. Also from the footprint, there is a new building that will face Providence which I'd guess would be a new Eckerd, giving them better visibility. Here's what I'd like to know:

1. Will any apartment buildings come down?

2. Will the Fresh market remain?

3. Any insight on new retail/restaurants that might go there?

Here's the link: http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2...site%20plan.pdf

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an article about this in the print business journal. It said a couple of the strawberry hill apartments would be torn down. Here are some questions that I can answer

1. 6 apartment buildings will eventually be demolished.

2. Freshmarket will expand and will gain much more visibility from providence road.

3. No idea what would go there, but I'm thinking it will be mostly restaurants.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...ry4.html?page=2

Of course it was deadsville. I actually forgot it was there for 8 years, thats how many years went by before I remembered there was a fresh market there. The shopping center has the least visibility of any of charlottes strip centers.

I was at the center a few weeks ago eating at the Thai place and it seemed pretty bustling. It is due for a new look and this should be exciting! :)

PS- it seems all the Fresh Markets are getting new looks or new stores.. in Greensboro both of their stores are moving into bigger locations

That Fresh Market always has felt kinda mini-martish and "Trader Joe" sized.

It's kind of a shame to hear Strawberry Hill will be torn down. It's an old complex, but they're real brick face structures that appear to have been well maintained. And it's another tear in the "affordability" factor for the South Park area.

That Fresh Market always has felt kinda mini-martish and "Trader Joe" sized.

It's kind of a shame to hear Strawberry Hill will be torn down. It's an old complex, but they're real brick face structures that appear to have been well maintained. And it's another tear in the "affordability" factor for the South Park area.

SH is a somewhat older complex but is very well maintained and is a nice mixture of townhomes and apartments. A larger number of retirees, immigrants, and other working folks live there. If this plan materializes there are enough buildings for the displaced tenants to be moved to within SH I would think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Strawberry Hill does have the rare vibe of feeling like a secluded village while in actuality being an uspcale strip mall. The dense tree coverage and the lowrise atmosphere accomplishes this. Hopefully the improvements will add to and not detract from this style. I would assume that Marsh will relocate current tenants affected by apt demolition into other units in the complex. A pain for the tenants affected but we renters have no rights and are just pushed around like commodities depending on the value of where we live to the property owner. I know that's the whole point of renting but everyone can't or wants to be a homeowner and it would be nice to get a bit more consideration which is hard to get when you don't own the property which brings me right back to the beginning of my rant :lol: Perhaps leases could be made to be more favorable to the renter?

Archived