Some pics from Speed Street

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics bud. I really like the one above street level and it's really cool seeing those big parking lots filled with people. Considering how much junk we talk about them lol. I wanted to go to speed street this year but there doesn't seem to be any good performers plus I'm heading down to Charleston for the 1st time.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I thought it was hilarious how they were charging $6 for a beer. You know people would buy them any way. I saw a guy off to the side with a sign selling beers for $2. If anyone wants to know where he was look down west 3rd, maybe you'll find him.

I went back up tonight. It was insane! If I didn't know better I would think I was in the heart of NYC. So much going on, so many people, packed sidewalks, streets, tons of taxis - it was a true big city experience. Good times. Here are some pics.

DSCF1687.jpg

DSCF1690.jpg

DSCF1688.jpg

DSCF1697.jpg

DSCF1698.jpg

DSCF1699.jpg

The Second picture down makes me so anxious for the Romare Bearden Park to be built. If it were built this pic, these people wouldn't be standing in a giant surface lot by a green tree and skyscraper lined park. :rolleyes:

Wonderful shots Nomanizan!! Loved the pic of the BMX bike in the air with the balconies at 230 filled with onlookers.

I dont care what stereotypes these people and events get, they are great for our city. Thanks for the pics all.

Since this thread is dealing with Speed Street, here's a question: What will happen when the parking lots that were filled with stages and people this past weekend are filled with buildings and parks over the next few years? At the rate third ward is developing, it doesn't seem like they'll have the space to host Speed Street there after the next year or two. Oh, that's right, there's all the Levine parking lots in First Ward. Guess they'll be able to host it for at least the next 20 or 30 years. :wacko:

Since this thread is dealing with Speed Street, here's a question: What will happen when the parking lots that were filled with stages and people this past weekend are filled with buildings and parks over the next few years? At the rate third ward is developing, it doesn't seem like they'll have the space to host Speed Street there after the next year or two. Oh, that's right, there's all the Levine parking lots in First Ward. Guess they'll be able to host it for at least the next 20 or 30 years. :wacko:

I don't think the parking lots are totally necessary. Several of the stages were just in the middle of intersections. If they place them correctly, there can be plenty of room for people to watch the concert. Could also do stuff like you said at the 3rd Ward Park and maybe something small on the Green. There's the concert area where they do Live after 5 as well. I think there are plenty of alternative sites for the future.

There's also always the Third Ward Park and they possibly could use the baseball stadium for the large stage although I'm not totally sure that fits the "street" motif.

My big thing with all this is why Charlotte doesn't have more events on this scale. I mean, the fall race is completely neglected and presents almost as large of an opportunity. I know a lot goes into producing these huge events, but this brings a lot of advertising to clubs, bars, restaurants, condos, and the city itself. I mean, have enough of these events and street vendors might stay on a regular basis bringing more life to our squeaky clean streets. That's really what Charlotte needs to get our "grit" up.

There's also always the Third Ward Park and they possibly could use the baseball stadium for the large stage although I'm not totally sure that fits the "street" motif.

My big thing with all this is why Charlotte doesn't have more events on this scale. I mean, the fall race is completely neglected and presents almost as large of an opportunity. I know a lot goes into producing these huge events, but this brings a lot of advertising to clubs, bars, restaurants, condos, and the city itself. I mean, have enough of these events and street vendors might stay on a regular basis bringing more life to our squeaky clean streets. That's really what Charlotte needs to get our "grit" up.

Archived