Do you agree with the editorial about Pat Tillman

Guest donaltopablo

Do you agree  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree

• Yes, he got what was coming to him
    • No, he's a hero

Guest donaltopablo

I know we've debated the valve of the Iraq war in detail, so I'm not necessarily looking for comments about the pro-cons about the US military action, but whether you agree that Pat Tillman was a hero or got what was coming to him.

UMass president rips student column on Tillman

Updated: Friday April 30, 2004 1:46AM

AMHERST, Mass. (AP) -- A University of Massachusetts graduate student who wrote a campus newspaper column saying former NFL player Pat Tillman was not a hero for being killed while fighting in Afghanistan was sharply criticized Thursday by the school's president.

UMass president Jack Wilson issued a statement saying Rene Gonzalez' comments in The Daily Collegian "are a disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature attack on a human being who died in service to his country."

In his column, which ran Wednesday on the opinion page and was posted on the newspaper's Web site, Gonzalez called the former Arizona Cardinals safety a "G.I. Joe guy who got what was coming to him."

"That was not heroism," Gonzalez wrote. "It was prophetic idiocy."

His column also criticizes America's military response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Tillman, the San Jose, Calif., native who gave up his NFL career to join the Army Rangers in 2002, was killed in combat April 22 in Afghanistan.

While recognizing Gonzalez' right to free speech, Wilson said the student owes Tillman a "debt of gratitude," and said he should apologize to Tillman's friends and family.

Jared Nokes, president of the Student Government Association, also issued a statement condemning Gonzalez' column.

Gonzalez did not respond to telephone and e-mail messages left Thursday by The Associated Press.

In a response to the controversy generated by the column, the paper's editorial board ran a letter to readers in Thursday's edition saying Gonzalez's views do not reflect The Collegian's opinion.

"We do not hold back from printing news stories, columns or editorials that may upset our readership -- instead, we seek to both inform and stir debate through our publication," the letter said. "Our decision to publish Gonzalez' column -- an opinion piece written by a member of our campus community -- is the only way for us to live up to this ideal."

Here is a link to the original editorial http://media.dailycollegian.com/pages/till...ml?in_archive=1

An article I posted on UP about Pat Tillman http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3809

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel Pat Tillman was an honorary person for doing something he fully believed in; but I do not believe he's a saint. All the people who have died are equally as brave.

People want to fight over terminology - so be it.

I don't agree with the war, but can admire someone who does something such as that. The guy who spoke of Tillman in a critical way had a complete right to say what he did - those are his feelings.

Guest donaltopablo

Agreed about Pat Tillman. From what I heard he did a very honorable thing. The sad thing is that he lost his life fighting Bush's unnecessary war. I be he would be particularly sad to know that we are now turning over parts of Iraq to Saddam's Generals as Bush has no exit strategy for Iraq and has totally screwed it up. I am sad that Tillman and others lost their life for this royal f*ckup of a president.

Umm, Tillman died fighting in Afganistan, not Iraq.

I agree Heckles, everyone who dies in a war is an equal hero. I think Pat Tillman's story is a little unique because of what he left behind and his efforts to join. Although he certainly was far from the only one.

Guest donaltopablo

It's definitely worthy to read a few of the articles on this guy. I know usually nothing but good information comes out about a person after their death, but it really is an amazing story.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with heckles. It's completely legitimate to respect the troops that have died as a member of your country nevertheless whether or not you agree with the Iraq or Afghanistan occupation. But an NFL player as a soldier shouldn't be worshipped just because he's a pro athlete.

Guest donaltopablo

^It doesn't really matter how he was killed. Anyone willing to give up what he had to go fight for this country and his beliefs is a true hero, dead or alive.

Yeah, even if he was killed by friendly fire (which is common is war), it doesn't change what he did to help his team or the fact that he did a very honorable thing by following his beliefs and joining up.

Archived