GVMC

Rizzo

I just thought I would pass this along as it was brought to my attention. The Grand Valley Metro Council is hosting its annual Growing Communities Conference June 14, 2007, 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM. This event will be held at Calvin College, Prince Conference Center, 1800 East Beltline SE (616) 526-7200. Robert Puentes of Brookings Institute will be a keynote speaker. You are required to register and pay a fee of $75-$85 per person. More information and a registration form can be found here (pdf file.)

This year's conference will spotlight an issue which many Urban Planet - Grand Rapids volunteers have passionately discussed and debated: infrastructure. This might be a great event to attend if public comment can be made, especially to any 'transit task force' members out there: :shades: The issues included in this conference range from transit to context sensitive street design.

Sessions of Interest:

Transit, Trolleys, and Development

This session will explore the relationships between quality fixed guide way transit and economic development in Portland. The session will also examine the proposals by ITP for enhanced bus and the downtown streetcar. Mr. Peter Varga of ITP and a Portland transit official will be guests.

Also:

Making Green Neighborhoods

Grand Rapids Neighborhoods and Infrastructure

Supporting a New Energy Infrastructure

Context Sensitive Street Designs-Making it Happen

More pdf file

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figured this needed a "bump".

This is one of the very few and finest opportunities for planning junkies to immerse themselves in current issues for an entire day. I and several of my fellow township leaders will be there... and I know from past experience that most area communities are well represented at this event.

And Rizzo is right: there will be significant discussion of mass transit, I believe one of the breakout sessions is specifically on that topic!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be sitting on a panel in the afternoon to have a roundtable discussion called "Context Sensitive Street Design - Making it Happen". (I will be the one that looks lost and confused) :scared:

I'm wondering if anyone on this board has anything to say about this topic?

I will be sitting on a panel in the afternoon to have a roundtable discussion called "Context Sensitive Street Design - Making it Happen". (I will be the one that looks lost and confused) :scared:

Archived