Five Points Downtown

Kenneth Disraili-Jean

What are your opinions that Atlanta's origional heart will ever see a resurgence in activity and recover. With the talk of an intermodel transportation station across from the Five Points Marta station, and a revamp of undergroung,and also possible more student housing, do you think Five Points will see light at the end of the tunnel??

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no doubt in my mind that 5P will become a swinging place again. In my opinion it already has a decent amount of foot traffic and people in the area. It may not be hipsters and Starbucks, but there is retail and restaurants that have been successful there for years. I think more density and retail/restaurant diversity would be a plus, and it will eventually happen. The only question is when? 1 year, 5 years, 10 years... I expect the same thing for ALL of the Atlanta neighborhoods on the westside and southside.

I've read multiple studies and articles discussing urban renewal and gentrification (Best one is from Brookings Institute), and there is a pattern that has been set by other cities (NYC, Cleveland, DC that I'm sure Atlanta will follow. These studies have found there is a life cycle that touches on every step from vacant housing, housing stock architecture, proximity to downtown, urban pioneers, etc. Atlanta neighborhoods have been going through gentrification since the 70s (Inman Park) and every 5-10 years new areas are considered hot, hotter, and hottest. Most people interested in living in Atlanta didn't pay much attention to E. Atlanta 10 years ago, and 10 years from now Hunter Hill may be the hot thing. One thing we can be sure of is it will all be revitalized or gentrified in the not to distant future... Including 5P and the rest of the Downtown core.

First of all the exterior of the Five Points station needs to be made over to look more like a inviting lifestyle center, rather than the square, ugly granite slab that it is right now. When they tore up Five Points to build the MARTA station, so much architectural history and retail was lost forever. A redo of the station can help to change that. I noticed on metroscape, there is a good picture of the Five Points MARTA station

Archived