New Meijer being Built in Birch Run

tamias6

Just wanted to let you guys in the Flint/Saginaw area know that Meijer has broken ground last week on a new 155,000 sq. ft. store to be built in Birch Run. Like all Meijer stores, this one will be a super center combining a full line supermarket and a discount discount department store under one roof. It will also feature a garden center as well.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would seem right though seeing as how Birch Run is a fairly small market. I would imagine that this will cover places like Clio, Bridgeport, Frankenmuth as well as, obviously, Birch Run seeing as how there is one in Flint (on Pierson Rd.) and one in Saginaw (on Gratiot Rd.)

Yes it will be small. In fact it will only be roughly 4000 sq. ft. larger than the Meijer store on 28th street and Kalamazoo Ave, Grand Rapids. However,

after Google Earth-ing Birch Run, it seems like a fairly small town. So it may not have enough market to support a standard 207,000 sq ft. store.

OK that seems like it would be a very small meijer store.

Well, not so much Birch Run, but the market region which includes southern Saginaw Co, parts of Tuscola Co, and Northern Genesee County couldn't support a larger store. Not with two Meijer stores in Saginaw, and one just North of Flint.

I wonder if after this store (or before) gets completed the state will widen Birch Run Road (M 83-54) to relieve the weekend traffic backups from Frankenmuth.

Additionally, residents across from the Meijer site have sold off their properties long ago, and the stretch has been rezoned commercial. Although I doubt the appearance will change since at least half of them have been converted to businesses over the past few years.

Here's an Article from ABC 12 announcing the coming of the Birch Run Meijer.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=...&id=5331268

While I was watching the article's included video clip, I caught glimpses of parts of the renderings pictured on the coming soon sign behind the reporter. Going by that, the Birch Run Meijer will look very much like this rendering of a proposed Meijer store for Northfield Twp.

version2dd9.gif

Im pretty sure that they're also putting up a Meijer in Davison just a few miles from my house.It was proposed a while ago and they are building something at that site now, so im assumin its a meijer.

Even though the store is small to begin with, I'm sure that Meijer has plenty of room to expand if needed. They seem to do a good job of planning for future expansion. Eastern Saginaw county is starved for retail, ever since the KMart at Fort Saginaw Mall closed a few years ago. This store won't compete much with the two existing stores in Saginaw, which are on the west and northwest sides of the city. Given Saginaw County's unique geography (there are no roads that go through the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge in the center of the county), the Birch Run store will be pretty well isolated from the others. It may have more of an impact on the Pierson Rd. store near Flint, and will be competing directly with the new Wal Mart in Clio.

• 2 weeks later...

As the fates would have it, the future location of the new Meijer store for Birch Run, was conveniently located on my route to my 3 day tour of Frankinmuth. So for you UPer's living in the area and itching to have a sneak peak at the actual renderings, I made a pit stop and took some shots of the construction site and the rendering posted on the office trailer.

The rendering posted on the office trailer. As seen here, this rendering looks very much like the one I previously posted.

renderingdi3.jpg

Shots of the constructions site which is still in the grading stage as of my visit. However piping has been staged so it won't be too long before the installation of needed infrastructure takes place. Even though, the new store will be on the smaller end of the spectrum when it comes to Meijer sizes, this store sure is gobbling up allot of land. I assume some of which will be sold off as out lots to sit down restaurants, a bank, and a few other sub 30,000 sq. ft. establishments.

Looking due North at the Construction Site from Birch Run Rd. About 700 ft to the west is Dixie Hwy. While a few miles to the east is Highway 83 leading into Frankinmuth.

constructionsite1be5.jpg

This is the entrance to construction site located on the SE corner of the property and accessed from Birch Run Rd. I would assume this entrance will become one of at least three entrances into the new store's parking lot.

constructionsite3rm2.jpg

The west side of the property. Closest to the camera is a red colored cargo trailer holding what I assume to be more components recently brought in for the new infrastructure work soon to take place. In the background is a hotel located on Dixie Highway about 350 ft north of the intersection.

constructionsite2bx5.jpg

They (the city and township) better continue that piping down the road. The whole reason why this Meijer took forever was because the city dragged its feat on water and sewage. It was the same thing that blocked a Six Flags Theme Park from going up down the road.

Thanks for the pics Tamias.

I take it you were in Frankenmuth to partake in the german festivities this weekend. I was at the festival this evening. I'm still trying to sober off right now.

I'll be returning again. Look for me in my OKAYplayer shirt.

They (the city and township) better continue that piping down the road. The whole reason why this Meijer took forever was because the city dragged its feat on water and sewage. It was the same thing that blocked a Six Flags Theme Park from going up down the road.

Thanks for the pics Tamias.

I take it you were in Frankenmuth to partake in the german festivities this weekend. I was at the festival this evening. I'm still trying to sober off right now.

I'll be returning again. Look for me in my OKAYplayer shirt.

• 1 month later...

BTW, I haven't seen any progress in person, just going by from what I hear. Birch Run road is apparently being widened for turn lanes and what not.

Still, I don't see why the state can't just widen it to four or five lanes all the way to M-83. The tourism congestion is absolutely horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived