The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. April 6th, 10 AM to noon; Copper Branch patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

Wish I could have made it since I'm in town. I brought my cousin here for her first trip and was doing a quick tour of the area before I have to drive back to VB tomorrow. My cousin loved it here. She said downtown was so vibrant and like the cool buildings. She also couldn't get over all the giant houses as I was cutting across Tyne Blvd. to get to Franklin. She said Nashville is a gorgeous city. I couldn't agree with her more. God I love it here. People tell me I'm lucky because I only live 6 miles from the ocean but you can have it for all I care!! Give me a lake or river any day :-) Oh by the way, who's who in the photo? 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TNinVB said:

Wish I could have made it since I'm in town. I brought my cousin here for her first trip and was doing a quick tour of the area before I have to drive back to VB tomorrow. My cousin loved it here. She said downtown was so vibrant and like the cool buildings. She also couldn't get over all the giant houses as I was cutting across Tyne Blvd. to get to Franklin. She said Nashville is a gorgeous city. I couldn't agree with her more. God I love it here. People tell me I'm lucky because I only live 6 miles from the ocean but you can have it for all I care!! Give me a lake or river any day :-) Oh by the way, who's who in the photo? 

Wished I could have met up with you and the cousin, even if for 5 minutes.  Maybe again in a few years..:)

• Like 1

From the left leaning and seated. LynnG, William W, Ron, Smeagolsfree Mod, Brian B,

Standing from the left..Todd B Nashvillebound, Stephen B skyscrapergeek, Kevin long time visitor from Bell construction, Will, cant remember your handle, John M, too many name to remember on the board but the last one was 5th and Main, Mark H. Mod, D Mills, Mod.

We also had another person there that left early, a friend of Marks, Mike N.

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Thanks for the kind words, and if ever you are in Nashville the first Saturday of the month , feel free to join us. We even let people from Austin attend.

Thanks for the invite, I'll definitely keep that in mind.  I've never been to Nashville.  But I did spend a weekend in Memphis once. :)

• Like 1

A reminder that our next Urban Planet Nashville Meet-Up will be this Saturday, Sept. 2nd, at 10 AM at The Perch Restaurant (300 James Robertson Parkway at NW corner of JR Pkwy and 3rd Ave. North, 615-647-7255). Great food, coffee, and fellowship for all Nashville development geeks.  : )

I'll post an agenda of discussion topics later this week. 

I'm not going to make it after all.  Ill see yall in October.

My family in west TN wants to see me in one piece after I had an unfortunate run in with some unscrupulous people in new orleans over the weekend.

I had some great pictures to share but, the phone I took them with was taken. along with all my cash and cards.  

• Like 3

Another solid month of Nashville development news in August, including 4 new hotel announcements, soccer stadium renderings, real estate deals, light rail corridors, and more tension regarding Greer redevelopment. Thus, we should have plenty to discuss at this month's gathering. Our September Urban Planet Nashville Meet-Up will be this Saturday, Sept. 2nd at 10 AM at The Perch (300 James Robertson Parkway, at NW corner of James Robertson Parkway and Third Ave. North, 615-647-7255). 

AGENDA:

• Meet any new folks who are attending and give quick introductions.  
  • Get updates from anyone who has traveled to other cities of note recently on what they experienced.
  • Topped out: JW Marriott (at least the 34 primary floors), Marriott TriBrand (at least the primary 21 floors), Cool Springs Hilton (8 stories), Hampton Inn SoBro addition (5 stories), Family Justice Center (4 stories), AlloyTech Hill (4 stories, Eastsider (3 stories), Sylvan Station (3 stories), and Whites Creek/Fern townhomes (3 stories)
  • Just underway: Virgin Hotel, 607 James Apts, Extra Space Storage in Germantown, Vue Apts, Silo Bend Apts, Orleans/Acklen townhomes, Gallatin & Fairwin, 1525 Gallatin
  • Crane up: Centennial Hospital second crane, Airport garage second crane, Drury Plaza
  • Crane down: Hampton Inn SoBro, The Bobby Hotel, Millenium Music Row, 
  • Demo: Endeavor Broadway, Sixth Ave. Apts., Scovel Street Townhomes, Lumber warehouse razed for Provident Self Storage off of Charlotte, Gateway Germantown--trees down.
  • Core drilling: Virgin Hotel
  • Hampton Inn Capitol View (10 stories, 168 rooms) to start late this year, open in mid-2019, at SE corner of 11th Ave. North and Jo Johnston Ave (caddy corner to LifeWay Building). Some retail fronting 11th Ave.  4,000 sq. ft. of meeting space.  Rooftop swimming pool and gym.  Will be just north of the 10 story office building by Boyle.
  • 5-10 story, 160 room dual branded hotel announced for .8 acre lot at 1212-1218 McGavock (facing I-40 innerbelt) At one time it had been a proposed Staybridge Suites Hotel. To start in spring of 2018, finish by Aug. 2019. No renderings yet.
  • 6 story, 200 room Holiday Inn Airport at 2535 Perimeter Place announced for 3.6 acre lot. No renderings.
  • 4 story,  99 room Fairfield Inn planned for One Bellevue Place. Will include 9,000 sq. ft. of event space.
  • 5 story, 163 room StayBridge Suites Midtown (35021st Ave. North at SW corner of Charlotte Ave.) to begin by turn of year. No renderings.
  • Holston House set to open in December in 88-year-old former James Robertson Hotel. Will feature a lobby lounge, rooftop bar, skyline room with private terrace, bungalo bar, and rooftop pool.  Ave. room price to be $250 range. 
  • The Joseph Hotel (21 stories, 300 rooms) is again slightly delayed. Closing on property should be end of the year.
  • Hensler (Sept. 30) and Eakin (Oct. 31) have deadlines set by MDHA to finalize sales of their Trolley Barnes sites.  Will be interesting to see if they come through, or the whole thing gets reopened for bids again.
  • MLS Soccer Stadium renderings for Fairgrounds location released.  Approx. 30,000 capacity. Strong rumors that Vanderbilt Football will be a tenant as well, and that the school will help in underwriting. Additionally, First Tennessee Park will serve as initial home for minor league soccer team in 2018.
  • Light Rail renderings for released for 5 primary corridors: Gallatin Ave., Charlotte Ave., Murfreesboro Rd., Nolensville Rd., and Dickerson Pike. 
  • Transit coalition being formed to boost Mayor Barry's funding referendum.
  • Car and Transit Futures paper by Malcolm Getz of Vanderbilt University that analyzes Nashville's transit needs.
  • City moves to eliminate CSX crossing at 7th Ave. South and Fogg.
  • More plans released for 6.5 acres next to Donelson Station.  To include 208 multi-family units, 3,000 sq. ft. of retail
  • 900 Dickerson plan being expanded for twice as many residential units on 1.9 acres on 900 block of Dickerson Pike. 4 story, 95 condo flats now, plus 2,500 sq. ft. of retail. Hope to start first quarter of 2018.  Financing is 90% complete for the $15 million project.  Across the street a different firm will simultaneously build a 4-story condo building with 67 units and 3,000 sq. ft. of retail on 1.6 acres.
  • Crescendo Apartments on Division will now be 6 stories and 210 units.  To break ground early next year, and be finished by 4th quarter of 2019. Originally Kelty Partners had wanted a 23 story, 303 unit structure there. 
  • 1.5 acres at 804 4th Ave. South bordered by Lafayette, Lindsley, 3rd South, and Ash is up for sale at $10.95 million ($175 per sq. ft.).  Just south of the LifeStyle Communities (10 & 6 stories, 900 units), just east of Stanza Hotel, just north of new 6 story self storage unit.  Zoned for up to 16 floors.
  • Historic Elm Street Methodist Building (1871) that has been home to Tuck-Hilton Architects for 22 years was sold for $6.2 million (.77 acre) to Derek Bell and Corsair Distillery of Chicago. Probable new brewery/restaurant project.  Would include another .8 acre lot immediately to the north for the complex.
  • Centurion Stone property is now aggressively being marketed for sale (12 acres bordering on Cumberland River, just to the north of Hammer Mill apartments). The stone company there is relocating to Cockrill Bend early next year. The last major tract of land available in Germantown.  
  • Van Buren complex of 2 structures for fitness center, and a couple of restaurants/offices is announced for the 1.8 acres at 85 Van Buren, just to the east of the new Hammer Mill Apartments. Will also face the Cumberland River Greenway.
  • The Ballpark Apartments (two 6 story buildings with 400 units and lots of ground level retail that will wrap along the 3rd base line and left field of First Tennessee Ballpark) are still percolating behind the scenes.  Announcements are supposed to be pending for start date.
  • Still contention around Greer Stadium redevelopment.  Ethics complaint made against city hall by one of the contending developers.  Some renderings released of bids that were rejected.
  • Lots of new jobs: Phillips Global Health Tech  to bring 800 new jobs to area. Site for new HQ not determined yet. Houzz (200), Centurion (50), NFI (170) and Franke Food Services (70) all announced expansions as well.  Grand total of 1,300 new jobs announced this past month.
  • Nashville ranked #2 real estate market in America behind Seattle  at WalletHub.com

Hope you can join us for good discussion, laughter, and good food this coming Saturday morning!  

• Like 1

Just a heads up for next months meet up.

Right now, the plan will be Provence for the month of October as the remodel of the Perch space will not be finished till mid October according to Nate the manager there. The new place will be authentic Mexican open for B,L, & D. they will offer Breakfast Burritos and if it is authentic, then should be great. The last good B Burrito I had was in S Padre Island years ago.

I hope this is not too much of an inconvenience, but its the best we can do on short notice and we all know where the Provence location in the Library is. The drawback is they charge for parking there which would be between 6 and 10 bucks in the garage. You can always find a cheaper place and walk, but that's a bit of a hike. I would suggest if you did want to do a small walk, to park in the Gulch on 12th under the Church St. overpass as parking is free on the street there. That is about a 4 to 5 block walk to the Library.

• 3 weeks later...

We will have our monthly Meet-Up this Saturday, Oct. 7th from 10 AM to noon at Provence Bakery in the NE corner of the Downtown Library.  Lots of news to discuss from the past month including Nashville's candidacy for the Amazon HQ2, airport expansion plans, the soccer stadium, and much more.  Full agenda will be posted on Wednesday.   Hope you can join us.  : )

Another solid month of Nashville development news in September, including the potential Amazon HQ2, the $1.2 billion airport expansion, MLS Soccer Stadium financing plan, and half a dozen more decent-sized development announcements. So, there will be LOTS to discuss at this month's gathering.  Our September Urban Planet Nashville Meet-Up will be this Saturday, Oct. 7th from 10 AM to noon at Provence Bakery in the NW corner of the Downtown Library at corner of Church St. and 6th Ave. North

AGENDA:

• Meet any new folks who are attending and give quick introductions.  
  • Get updates from anyone who has traveled to other cities of note recently on what they experienced.
  • Topped out: Bruin Hills Dorm at Belmont Univ. (11 stories), Dream hotel (10 stories), 2400 Crestmoor Phase I (9 stories), Melrose Phase II (5 stories), Berry Hill Storage (5 stories), 1820 12th Ave. South (4 stories)
  • Just underway:  7th & Garfield Townhomes, Vanderbilt Univ. Nursing School addition and Divinity School addition.
  • Cranes up: Drury Plaza, Spectrum Emery Midtown
  • Cranes down: None 
  • Demo: 4th & Hume Townhomes, Livery at 5th & Monroe.
  • Core drilling: Virgin Hotel, Drury Plaza, One Music Circle South (Panattoni), Extra Space Storage Germantown, Capitol View Phase III, 5th & Broadway, Virgin Hotel, Embassy Suites/Curio, Germantown Storage at 3rd & Monroe
  • Amazon HQ2 possibility for Nashville. Would bring 50,000 employees and $5 billion investment by Amazon within a decade of start. Lots of options for where massive campus could be located. Will discuss them all, as well as requirements and incentives.
  • Airport announces roll-out, timeline, and renderings of $1.2 billion expansion.
  • Soccer Stadium: $275 million plan announced that would be funded by $225 million in revenue bonds, $25 million from ownership group, and $25 million from city.  Metro would also contribute the land at fairgrounds, $25 million more in additional fairgrounds upgrades, and a proposed lease of 10 acres of underdeveloped land at site for team owners to create a mixed-use development featuring workforce housing. Plan would only be approved upon MLS granting franchise at beginning of 2018. Vanderbilt Football will not be a permanent tenant, but may participate in some activities.
  • Gallatin and Nolensville corridor light rail train station renderings.  Also, Metro has over 40 businesses and groups as part of their Transit Coalition to help push the public referendum vote in 2018.
  • New tower (undisclosed height, size, and purpose) by C.B. Ragland/Michael Hayes. on 1/2 acre lot at 217 2nd Ave. South (NW corner of 2nd Ave. South and Molloy), immediately south of SoBro Tower.  Molloy Street would be straightened to give them a bit more space. Will include 350 car garage. Probably will be about the same size as 222 2nd Ave. South (25 stories). More details TBA within 60 days.
  • 20 story Vanderbilt University academic building in brick gothic revival style, along with another large set of 6 story dorms being planned for south side of West End Ave, at 24th Ave. South. Will replace the four Carmichael Dorm Towers that were built in the 60s.
  • New images of model of 5th & Broadway.  Definitely 33 stories for apartment building, 26 stories for office tower, and brick elements to retail section to blend with Lower Broadway.
  • 505 Church Street Tower will now have 193 condos on top 16 floors, 126 units of hotel space for Stay Alfred, and 180 apts.
  • Division Street Connector should be open in October. Disappointment with fencing that blocks views.
  • Gulch Pedestrian Bridge getting close.  Still negotiating easements. Hope to break ground in December.  Designs still not finalized.
  • Eakin gets approval to expand their office building for Trolley Barns site from 6 to 9 stories (200,000 sq. ft. now up to 280,000 sq. ft.). Will include a 1,000 capacity, 5 level garage underneath, 35,000 sq. ft. of retail/restaurant, bank branch. Construction to begin Feb. 2018, and finish April 202.  All financing in place.
  • Margaritaville Hotel (2 stories, 215 rooms) to break ground in Dec.
  • Boutique hotel probable for 625 4th Ave. South (no brand, size, or render) on .77 acres. Cost $5.2 million and will be part of a 1,54 acre site by Chicago group that purchased the 150 year old former Methodist church recently housing Tuck Hilton Architects.
  • 9 story, 140 condo unit building by Devine & Epstein planned for 5th AVe. South and Carroll St., facing I-40/65 inner belt to the north. Open in early 2020.
  • Residences at 15th & Church apparently now 12 stories, 105 units, and 10,500 sq. ft. of retail (had been 7 stories, 74 units, and 8,000 sq. ft. of retail). Erosion barriers are up.
  • Graduate Hotel (probably 10-12 stories and 200+ rooms) goes before Metro Planning on Oct. 12 for approval. Diagrams and renderings should be available then for the 1 acre site where Checkers and Taco Bell were located at 2000-2006 West End Ave (at 20th Avenue). 
  • 12 story, 195,000 sq. ft. Vanderbilt Place at NW corner of 30th Ave. South and Vanderbilt Place is start construction in early 2018 according to John Eakin.
  • Tenn. Stat Univ. says two new dorms will be built starting at beginning of 2019, and finished by Aug. of 2020.  No size or renderings yet. Also a new Engineering Building and Health Sciences Building in the works.
  • The $105 million Harpeth Square development (4 stories, 119 room Curio Hotel, 150 apts, 3,600 sq. ft. of office, 14,870 sq. ft. of retail, and 597 car garage) on 4 acres of 1st and Main in downtown Franklin finally got its financial backing.  Groundbreaking in November.  Late 2019 completion.
  • John Ethridge announces another McKissack Park development for 2.5 acres at SW corner of 25th Ave. North and Clifton Ave. Will be mixed-use residential, office, and retail.  He's got lots of plans for that neighborhood.
  • 7 story, 126 room Hampton Inn will be part of Skyline Center, which will have 5,000 sq. ft. of retail/restaurant space.  Will sit adjacent to SkylineMedical Center off Dickerson Pike near interchange of I-65 North and Briley Parkway. Break ground in two weeks.
  • Three large housing developments announced: Brick Church Pike (122 homes on 42 acres), Burkitt Ridge and Carothers Farms (1,600 residential mix of houses and townhomes) in Antioch. 
  • A handful of juicy real estate notes: 1) Two Marathon Village plots totaling 3.8 acres for sale at $8.27 million; 2) Broadway/West End triangular lot that features the famous digital billboard will be coming open.  Owner plans something more significant, while keeping the sign; 3) 3.3 acre Fatherland Flats site (currently home to 8 buildings with 47 units) available for $8.5 million.  Great views of downtown; 4) Music City Center will buy .8 acre site at 424 Lafayette (where Elm St. and 5th Ave. South intersect) for $5.15 million as marshalling yard, additional parking, and possible mass transit/light rail station area in future; 5) Madison K-Mart site along Gallatin Pike bought for $5.6 million by Anchor Investments. They plan redevelopment where a rail station might be located eventually.

Nashville still hot:

• Median sales price of a Nashville area home in August  was $292,800, having increased over 12% compared to the corresponding number ($260,000) of August 2016.
  • Forbes lists Nashville as #3 hottest business market in the nation.
  • Airport had 1.23 million passengers in Aug., up 113,000 (10.1%) over Aug. of 2016. 12 month running total is 13.798 million, and 10.6% above previous 12 months.  

Hope you can join us for lively and fun discussion!  

• Like 3