The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. April 6th, 10 AM to noon; Copper Kettle patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

• 1 month later...

Friends,

I just talked to smeagolsfree and we're set for this Saturday, 10 a.m., at Provence. I'll be there too.

William Williams

Hey, gang: I'm going to have to miss this one. I'm organizing a horseback riding excursion! Then next month, I'm going to be in Chicago over the July 4th weekend. So I'll miss two in a row! Could someone post a recap? I'll see everyone in August.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in he forum meetings, well we are still having them. Four or five at the most normally, but sometimes a dozen or so. We will still have one on the Fourth of July, even though it is a holiday. Provence is open, so I know myself and William Williams will be there. I am sure CC hotel will be discussed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just to update this thread. The meetings have never stopped. Since December 2009 we have been meeting at Casablanca Coffee in The Gulch located in the ICON building. Since January 2010 we have had a regular group of 5-8 people. The forum members from the now defunct Nashville Charrette have joined us. Currently there is free parking in the Gulch which is another reason we left downtown because there is no free street parking on Saturday's anymore in downtown until after 12 noon. (Things may change however for The Gulch we have been told.)

Nashville Charrette has a Facebook page instead of an online forum. The Urban Planet/ Nashville Charrette forum meets will continue every first Saturday of the month at Casablanca Coffee at 10 am. We have an email list going for the regular members. Anyone is invited to attend. We have a very close group and we rarely post here but we still meet once a month to discuss the issues.

Two regulars are departing however. Tom Campion was offered a position in New York and Nashvillian is leaving for Military Service. We wish them both luck and thank them for their contributions.

Some of the regulars are:

East Side Urbanite

Smeagolsfree

Tom Campion

Nashvillian

Solve Et Coagula

Nashville Bound

Nvstnbna

Downtown Cliff

Bwithers

On the list:

It's Just Dave

Lexy

Richard Lawson

We wish he would show up: (Please Kurt)

Producer2

Again, anyone is invited. Topics we have been discussing are the Convention Center, Vanderbilt expansion, Centennial Hospital expansion, The Medical Mart, The MCC Hotel, and many other projects. Nashville will bounce back. We are on the threshold of greatness. Please join us.

SEC

Edited by Solve Et Coagula

Just to update this thread. The meetings have never stopped. Since December 2009 we have been meeting at Casablanca Coffee in The Gulch located in the ICON building. Since January 2010 we have had a regular group of 5-8 people. The forum members from the now defunct Nashville Charrette have joined us. Currently there is free parking in the Gulch which is another reason we left downtown because there is no free street parking on Saturday's anymore in downtown until after 12 noon. (Things may change however for The Gulch we have been told.)

Nashville Charrette has a Facebook page instead of an online forum. The Urban Planet/ Nashville Charrette forum meets will continue every first Saturday of the month at Casablanca Coffee at 10 am. We have an email list going for the regular members. Anyone is invited to attend. We have a very close group and we rarely post here but we still meet once a month to discuss the issues.

Two regulars are departing however. Tom Campion was offered a position in New York and Nashvillian is leaving for Military Service. We wish them both luck and thank them for their contributions.

Some of the regulars are:

East Side Urbanite

Smeagolsfree

Tom Campion

Nashvillian

Solve Et Coagula

Nashville Bound

Nvstnbna

Downtown Cliff

Bwithers

On the list:

It's Just Dave

Lexy

Richard Lawson

We wish he would show up: (Please Kurt)

Producer2

Again, anyone is invited. Topics we have been discussing are the Convention Center, Vanderbilt expansion, Centennial Hospital expansion, The Medical Mart, The MCC Hotel, and many other projects. Nashville will bounce back. We are on the threshold of greatness. Please join us.

SEC

In all seriousness, Nashvillan, thank you for your service and good luck.

Second, there might be a Vince Young type brawl (without the strippers) if I showed up....:)

I know I should have checked in sooner, especially with previous circumstances. All is well, though. Feeling fine.

It's interesting that there appears to be a recent resurgence of posts. I can't say I'm disappointed. My break was good, but I truly missed it. The other board was interesting, but imo a bit interspersed with rampant discontent...whether a whole building or a brick out of place. Hearing "that's hideous" as a constant theme appeared somewhat trite and a bit more than arrogant as a dictum of truth rather than opinion. It seemed the main purpose of posting was to spread the gospel of what's wrong with everything instead of counting our blessings that we have and have had things going on around here (with, of course, a healthy serving of "what's wrong"). In other words, I didn't find the discourse much fun. I suspect some others share the sentiment as evidenced by the near utter lack of participation. The fact that most posts were often of a one sentence variety didn't convince me I had much of an interactive forum experience before me. Top that with the fact that the posters are strangers to me and my friends were absent and my explanation for absence approaches completion.

Now, we have cranes. We'll have more cranes. I for one, and one who pays taxes, am rather excited about this. Some have cried foul as the neighborhood south of Broadway is being destroyed. I'm approaching 58 years old and most of that here in Nashville. Never has there been anything there. Now, we at least have a opportunity to change that. Perhaps it won't be a miniature Georgetown, but at least it'll be an improvement over what's generally a habitat of male and female prostitutes and the homeless. Give it time. The MCC will change many things for the better. One might as well like it (or try), for the ulcers of discontent are for naught. It's not going to stop construction because one thinks a loading dock is misplaced. Build around what's coming. Blend from there. It's all we can do.

I just want to return to informative and entertaining discussion, a few whoops and hollers, some legitimate concerns and at the very least a return, even if minor, to days of real communication as opposed to the texting-esque tone so often displayed.

I look forward to more. Nashvillain has been so good about hanging in there and only producer to argue with. Both have brought real discussion to the front. And now, with Mr. Solve among us, more will come. Bring it on fellers.

Oh crap, Dave's gone off again. lol. Nice to be back.

I know I should have checked in sooner, especially with previous circumstances. All is well, though. Feeling fine.

It's interesting that there appears to be a recent resurgence of posts. I can't say I'm disappointed. My break was good, but I truly missed it. The other board was interesting, but imo a bit interspersed with rampant discontent...whether a whole building or a brick out of place. Hearing "that's hideous" as a constant theme appeared somewhat trite and a bit more than arrogant as a dictum of truth rather than opinion. It seemed the main purpose of posting was to spread the gospel of what's wrong with everything instead of counting our blessings that we have and have had things going on around here (with, of course, a healthy serving of "what's wrong"). In other words, I didn't find the discourse much fun. I suspect some others share the sentiment as evidenced by the near utter lack of participation. The fact that most posts were often of a one sentence variety didn't convince me I had much of an interactive forum experience before me. Top that with the fact that the posters are strangers to me and my friends were absent and my explanation for absence approaches completion.

Now, we have cranes. We'll have more cranes. I for one, and one who pays taxes, am rather excited about this. Some have cried foul as the neighborhood south of Broadway is being destroyed. I'm approaching 58 years old and most of that here in Nashville. Never has there been anything there. Now, we at least have a opportunity to change that. Perhaps it won't be a miniature Georgetown, but at least it'll be an improvement over what's generally a habitat of male and female prostitutes and the homeless. Give it time. The MCC will change many things for the better. One might as well like it (or try), for the ulcers of discontent are for naught. It's not going to stop construction because one thinks a loading dock is misplaced. Build around what's coming. Blend from there. It's all we can do.

I just want to return to informative and entertaining discussion, a few whoops and hollers, some legitimate concerns and at the very least a return, even if minor, to days of real communication as opposed to the texting-esque tone so often displayed.

I look forward to more. Nashvillain has been so good about hanging in there and only producer to argue with. Both have brought real discussion to the front. And now, with Mr. Solve among us, more will come. Bring it on fellers.

Oh crap, Dave's gone off again. lol. Nice to be back.

Dave,

From now on I am going to send you my thoughts for editing before I post! I promise to do better, glad you are back.....

I greatly miss Dave and I am glad he is back! I have been told the moderation team had a large turnover, so maybe we can have discussions again without the micro management and without the instant banning of folks whose opinion, sense of humor, or belief system may be a bit different or odd. I for one miss the old days in 2005-2007 when we had 100+ people contributing, and then the axe came down and we were down to about 25 or less people. This type of forum and this type of discourse needs open communication and a variety of opinion without accusation, condemnation, etc...

I too like Dave looked at forums like City-Data.com, and there was not much if any built environment activity at all. Cyburbia.org is mainly an academic site for professors, students, and practitioners of urban planning. Nashville Charrette is defunct and has moved to Facebook. SSC and SSP are still growing strong, but more so internationally, so this is really the only Nashville forum we have. Its our home so lets do a rehab on it and invite some guests in!

Let's get this forum going again!

SEC

Curt or Kurt (Producer2) If you want to be on the email listing, let me know and I will add you to the list. BTW, the wife and I are going to make every effort to move into the Gulch. We are looking at Velocity, ICON, Terrazzo, Rhythm and to a lesser degree around the Vanderbilt area in 1101 18th or Adelecia.

SEC

Edited by Solve Et Coagula

Its nice to see people coming back to the forum for discussion. I made a few failed attempts and getting some discussion going over the past year or so. I really felt like the lack of development and the strict moderation really dealt the death blow to the board. I wasn't sure if it would come back with the economy or if it was dead for good. Glad to people posting once again.

The heavy moderation and the instant banning of people at an alarming rate basically shut the forum down. The other issue was some bantering and insults that went back and forth if someone had a differing opinion. We are intelligent and educated people. We should be above all of that. I myself was guilty of some discussion that may have been taken too seriously as my sense of humor is a bit odd and strange, lest I be careful. After all, this is a built environment site, not a celebrity fan site where unintelligent discussion is the norm. People here are of a higher standard and intelligence than most sites.

Things are different now. Nashville is poised for greatness so many things need to be discussed. I would like to see the forum take up where Nashville Charrette and the old Urbanplanet left off. We used to get 20-25 people at forum meets at one point. I hope we can achieve that again. I believe that this forum can be one for positive growth and change for the city.

SEC

I am really sad I am going to miss this one. However I am excited as hell about going to Yosemite. I will try and think of you guys Saturday morning when you are meeting. That will be about the time I get into Mariposa. BTW, I am going to climb Half Dome. I will try and take a couple of pics. :shades: