The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. April 6th, 10 AM to noon; Copper Branch patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

The huge Amazon news will be the primary point of discussion at this month’s Nashville Meet-Up at Luna Llena Taqueria (300 James Robertson Parkway, at the NW corner of JRP and 3rd Avenue North), from 10 AM to noon this Sat., Dec. 1st.

AGENDA:

- Meet any new folks in attendance.

- Get reports from anyone who traveled to other cities in the past few months for quick overviews of what they experienced.

- Topped Out: Moxy Hotel Hillsboro Village (6 stories), Long & Burns Rowhouses (3 stories), Douglas Market Lofts (3), 100 Thompson Lane Apts (3), West Iris Apts. (3), 2021 Beech Ave Apts (3), Sky@Fern Phase II Apts (3 &2), 85 Van Buren (2), Shinn Center at Lipscomb Univ. (2)

- Just underway:  Boscobill II (Envision Cayce), 83 Freight Apts, 607/609 Hamilton Apts., Embry Apts. Metro Center, Delta Ave. Townhomes

- Cranes up: Gulch Union Office Tower (Currently have 25 tower cranes up in Davidson County, 61 since Jan. 1st)

- Cranes Down: Green Hills Mall (2), Spectrum Emery, 1 Music Circle South

- Demo: Asurion HQ site, Greer Stadium,

- Core Drilling:  Boscobil II at Envision Cayce, AEG site at Nashville Yards, W Hotel

DISCUSSION TOPICS:

• Amazon chooses Nashville for Operation of Excellence HQ at Nashville Yards. 5,000 jobs with average 150K salary, $230 million investment. Probably another 8,000 ancillary jobs. Largest single new job producer in Tennessee history. Will utilize 1 million sq. ft. of office space in Nashville Yards (32+ story tower, 15 story tower, 10 story tower).

• Also 600 more jobs with Ernst & Young at new Spectrum Emery building, 300 more at Arcosa Marine Barge Company in Ashland City, and 181 more jobs with NomNomNow Pet Food’s new manufacturing plant in Nashville.

• Hyatt Regency at Nashville Yards is being upgraded even further to a Grand Hyatt (similar to a Ritz-Carlton or Regis). Only 11 in the USA, 40 in the world. Same amount of rooms (591), etc.

• As part of the proposed land swap between Tony G. and the city for Paramount Towers at Church St. Park, the city is looking at buying the Morris Memorial Building (Sunday school Publishing Board) at NW corner of 4th Ave. North and Charlotte.  Not sure what it would be used for. 

• Hotel Broadway will be the name of the 16 story, 423 room independent hotel at McGavock and 13th Ave. South. Will also feature a 250 seat music venue. $20 million loan secured for $50 million cost.  Rajesh Aggarwal has additional new partners in Bobby Kirby and Jewell Halon.

• 2012 West End Ave (25 stories, 360 apps, 420 capacity garage, 6,500 sq. ft. of retail) has rezoning approved by Metro Planning.

• Triumph Properties Hotel is being planned for 2221 Ellison Place, replacing 3 three story 1925 era apt. buildings.  No size, render, or brand yet from developer Jay Patel.

• Dinerstein Company of Houston is looking at a 351 unit apt. building on the 2.4 acre RJ Young plot at 805-809 Division St. in Gulch. No renderings or height yet. Zoning allows for 10 stories w/ extra floors available for LEED certification, public parking garage, etc.

• National Museum of African American Music announces 200 seat Roots Theater, “Wade in the Water”gospel music exhibit, “The Message” hip-hop gallery, “Rivers of Rhythm” R&B exhibit, research center, extensive media library.

• 200 Broadway (5 story home of Cotton-Eyed Joe, built in 1905) is up for sale at undisclosed asking price.

• First Tennessee Ballpark restaurant building (2 stories, 60,000 sq. ft.) will also feature a concert venue and bowling alley, along with bars and eateries. Groundbreaking imminent.

• Contralto will be the name of the 7 story, 52 condo, 2,000 sq. ft. retail building at 15th and Church. 20 units already sold. Groundbreaking imminent. 12 story Alto (74 units, 6,000 sq. ft. of commercial space) will come next year 1/2 block away.

• May Hosiery redevelopment will feature a 100 room boutique hotel as part of the existing space in the massive old sock factory.

• Roxy Theater & Restaurant rehab finally underway in McFerrin Park area of East Nashville. Will seat 500 as music venue, w/ upscale eatery. Tom Morales of TomKats will be managing it all. Open in 2020.

• 1800 21st Ave. South (former Jackson’s Bar site) will be 2 story, 4,880 sq. ft. brick restaurant with 257 capacity. No tenant announced yet.

• 3 story, 39,000 sq. ft. medical office building planned for 1.5 acre site at 500 28th Ave. North.

• Elmington Capital plans 55 free standing homes on 4.34 acre site at 1200 49th Ave.North in The Nations (just SE of Stocking 51 development).

• 3 acre site of Overby Construction at 600 42nd Ave. North in Nations (backs up against I-40 West) is for sale at $3.9 million.

• 10 unit townhome project planned by Nick Spiva at 420 38th Ave. North off of Charlotte Ave. (hugging I-40 West). No rendering yet.

• Lipscomb University will build 3 level brick 300 unit parking garage on north end of campus.

• Candlewood Suites (probably 4 stories, 120 rooms) is being planned for 4697 Trousdale Ave. near intersection of I-65 and Harding Place. No rendering yet.

• Fairfield Inn (6 stories, 171 rooms) for Cool Springs at 7086 Baker Bridge Rd. On 1.8 acres.

• Donelson Plaza going to be retooled with more office space, new library branch, upgraded retail space. New exteriors and courtyards in a town plaza set-up.

• Stoney Farms will be 1,200 home development on 395 acres in Lebanon.

• One of the reasons that major corporations are locating here is because developers are taking the calculated risk to build modern office space in the core. 

• Lots of San Fran based corporations are relocating to Nashville and growing much more quickly than they had expected. Asurion has mushroomed to 3,000 in less than 15 years, Eventbrite has grown from 45 to 200 in 4 years, Lyft has grown from 400 to 750 in 3 years, Google Fiber is up to 75 in 2 years, House has grown from 250 to 400 in 2 years, Postmates has grown from 200 to 460 in 2 years, Keep Truckin’ expects to be at 385in a couple years.

NASHVILLE REMAINS HOT:

• Tons of publicity from the Amazon announcement. Example: Wall Street Journal predicts even more robust growth in retail and residential real estate sectors in Nashville.

• One of main reasons Ernst & Young chose Nashville for one of it’s new hubs featuring 600 jobs was because how impressed they were with the energy of the city during the Preds Stanley Cup Final appearance and CMA Fest happening simultaneously in June of 2017. They happened to be in town for an EY convention at Opryland Hotel and were smitten.

• Airport sets another new record in October with 1,538,000 passengers.  New singe day record of 28,550 on Nov. 12th.

• Southwest adds 3 new direct flights daily to San Jose, Burbank, and Omaha, plus increasing more dailies to 6 other destinations.

• Fodor’s Travel Guide picks Nashville as on of “52 Places to Visit in the World for 2019.”

• Lodging Economics Report lists Nashville #5 in country in hotel construction with 115 projects totaling 15,179 rooms. Numbers 1-4 are NYC, Dallas, Houston, and LA.

• Nashville listed first in Top Ten “secondary cities” where people are flocking away from major metro areas in Washington Post article, “The New Boomtowns.” Nov. 8, 2018 edition.

• Nashville chosen as 2nd least expensive office market in U.S. at $6.14 per sq. ft. according to BOMA (Building Owners & Managers Assoc. International).  Chart is based on utilities, repairs, maintenance, roads, grounds, cleaning, admin. and security costs.

• Nashville ranked #8 in U.S./Canada in office rent increase of leading tech markets according to CBRE.

• Southeastern Conference extends their contract with Bridgestone Arena to host the Men’s Basketball Tournament every March thru 2035 (except for 2026).

Hope you can join us for all the lively and fun discussion on all the development in our fair city.  : )
  • Like 1

We all love hearing the news Mark finds for the "Nashville Remains Hot" section, could we start the meet-up with that portion and let that start to develop the conversation regarding the developments? I think Amazon will be the largest portion of this topic, but obviously there are other pieces that are exciting to hear. There might be a special reason we put it last that I am not aware of, I just know that sometimes people have to leave early and this is sometimes some of the most exciting stuff

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 4:07 AM, markhollin said:

Southwest adds 3 new direct flights daily to San Jose, Burbank, and Omaha, plus increasing more dailies to 6 other destinations.

Correction, the Omaha flight is weekly, on Sundays. As will be the flights to Norfolk, Va and Seattle (which is actually a step-back from their usual seasonal daily. Competition is a mother-). 

On 11/28/2018 at 1:16 PM, e-dub said:

Out of curiosity... the numbers for Lyft and Postmates, does that include drivers, too? Or just office jobs?

Surely not. There are hundreds of drivers for Lyft alone, and I don’t think they’d be classified as “employees.” It’d be more like contractors. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 5:01 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Just so you guys know the Christmas parade starts at 8:30 at 1st and Broadway and the line up for the parade goes down James Robertson, so parking will be very difficlult to come bt and there will be lots of streets closures. It runs about 1 and a half to 2 hours.

http://nashvillechristmasparade.com/parade-route/

The good news is it looks like they are lining up on the Woodland St Bridge and James Robertson should be largely unaffected. 

Parking may still be an issue, though, as it wouldn't surprise me if Metro takes away all of the on street parking...which would be par for the course with how they handle traffic.

• Like 2

Was really hoping to make this meet, but it looks like it will have to wait until the last year of this crazy decade.  I am planning to make the January meet (5th, hopefully?), as I should be in TN anyways that week.  I'll let you guys know as it draws closer.

• Like 1

It was a good informative meeting with a lively discussion about public art to lead it off.

Art is an important subject to me as before I got my Engineering degrees, I got a degree in art from Austin Peay (as I mentioned in the meeting).  Then, after I went to work for TDOT as a drafter, I was fortunate that there was a program that would allow me take Engineering courses from UT Nashville at night while working full time at TDOT during the day. Needless to say, I had no social life during that time.

Just wanted to clear that up.

PS; My profile photo is a sculpture I did of the Shakespearean character McDuff just moments before he administers final justice to Macbeth with his sword. I thought it was appropriate for a moderator.

Also, a recent sketch of mine...

32264345488_58696d1e61_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

Another great Dave Luna Urban Planet Nashville Meet-Up earlier today, with lots of lively discussion about the Amazon development, Nashville public art, and much more.  17 in attendance (one had to leave early before the pic).  We will meet again Jan. 5, 2019, 10 AM to noon at Luna Llena Taqueria (300 James Robertson Parkway, at the NW corner of JRP and 3rd Avenue North).

Urban Planet Meet Up, Dec 1, 2018.jpg

For those of us out of town that can’t make the meets, it would be nice to who everyone is. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

From the left: skyscrapregeek, dmillsphoto (mod), LATN, WilliamWilliams, Barbara (doormanpoets wife),UTgrad09, the original doorman poet with many alias's aka John, our very special  guest from the Nashville Walls project Ashley, Predsboy 18, MarkHollin(Mod), Smeagolsfree(Mod), visitors Ken and his wife, memory is bad and I am sorry cant remember her name, but very nice couple, nvestnbna, PHofKS(Mod), and Lynn . I don't do last names on the board except for William as his is easy as is his first name too

Thank you! :-)

• 2 weeks later...