The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. April 6th, 10 AM to noon; Copper Branch patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

On the subject of mini-meets:

I was thinking that we make them different from the regular forum meets. Rather than discuss the broad topic of development in Nashville, we should make them a more issue-specific or area-specific discussion. i.e., rather than discussing transit as a whole in Nashville, discussing transit possibilities in Germantown and North Nashville (and having our mini-meet in Germantown for that particular discussion).

I think it would be good to include a neighborhood walk or drive with these, weather permitting. It would be great if we can get those forumers that live in these different neighborhoods to attend or lead the discussions, so they can provide perspective on issues (positive and negative) affecting their neighborhoods, as well as a little show and tell of things that we might miss just passing through.

Also, rather than just coffee shops, it might be nice to grab lunch every now and then...we have some great neighborhood restaurants, and it could be a good opportunity for some of us to try some new places.

It doesn't have to be an every Saturday deal, but I was thinking to start off, we might try the third Saturday of the month so it's not right before or after the main meets. 

Some suggested neighborhood locations/discussions:

Germantown/Salemtown

5 Points/East End/Edgefield

Sylvan Park/The Nations

Eastwood/Lockland Springs

Cleveland/McFerrin Park

Inglewood

Melrose/Berry Hill

Hillsboro Village

The Gulch

SoBro/Rolling Mill/Rutledge Hill

Midtown/West End

Wedgewood-Houston/Chestnut Hill

Woodbine/Radnor

12th South/Belmont-Hillsboro

Antioch/Southeast

Donelson/Hermitage

Madison/Rivergate

Green Hills

or any other neighborhoods you can think of. Obviously we are an urban discussion forum, and some of the neighborhoods mentioned are not urban in the slightest, but that doesn't mean there are not topics of discussion (such as transit and infill obstacles) that we can pursue.

What do you all think? I'm not necessarily leading this thing, but I want to bounce some ideas off of some of you. If we can get something together, let's shoot for the 15th of February. If not, we'll start in March.

• Like 4

I really hope I can make the next one, I'd like to meet everyone in person.  I'm usually free on Saturday mornings, but I've had something going on the last 3 or 4 first Saturdays.

You will be met, TMcK ─ you will....

They even sucked me in, as you have seen.  I fell into the "torrent" in late last August.  Only way for me to even want to leave at this point is for me to seek addiction-recovery and therapy.

____

Great to have met Adam. Truly a bonus...

-=ricky-roox=-

On the subject of mini-meets:

I was thinking that we make them different from the regular forum meets. Rather than discuss the broad topic of development in Nashville, we should make them a more issue-specific or area-specific discussion. i.e., rather than discussing transit as a whole in Nashville, discussing transit possibilities in Germantown and North Nashville (and having our mini-meet in Germantown for that particular discussion).

I think it would be good to include a neighborhood walk or drive with these, weather permitting. It would be great if we can get those forumers that live in these different neighborhoods to attend or lead the discussions, so they can provide perspective on issues (positive and negative) affecting their neighborhoods, as well as a little show and tell of things that we might miss just passing through.

Also, rather than just coffee shops, it might be nice to grab lunch every now and then...we have some great neighborhood restaurants, and it could be a good opportunity for some of us to try some new places.

It doesn't have to be an every Saturday deal, but I was thinking to start off, we might try the third Saturday of the month so it's not right before or after the main meets. 

Some suggested neighborhood locations/discussions:

Germantown/Salemtown

5 Points/East End/Edgefield

Sylvan Park/The Nations

Eastwood/Lockland Springs

Cleveland/McFerrin Park

Inglewood

Melrose/Berry Hill

Hillsboro Village

The Gulch

SoBro/Rolling Mill/Rutledge Hill

Midtown/West End

Wedgewood-Houston/Chestnut Hill

Woodbine/Radnor

12th South/Belmont-Hillsboro

Antioch/Southeast

Donelson/Hermitage

Madison/Rivergate

Green Hills

or any other neighborhoods you can think of. Obviously we are an urban discussion forum, and some of the neighborhoods mentioned are not urban in the slightest, but that doesn't mean there are not topics of discussion (such as transit and infill obstacles) that we can pursue.

What do you all think? I'm not necessarily leading this thing, but I want to bounce some ideas off of some of you. If we can get something together, let's shoot for the 15th of February. If not, we'll start in March.

My suggestion for the first mini meet would be Germantown, as this is the most transformed area over the last 10 years or so. There is a lot happening and we could meet at the Red Bicycle.  The best way to see the neighborhood is to get out and walk too. You are just able to take more in than a drive here. There are some great projects and a few not so great.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good to me. Barring any last minute changes, I should be there. Would you mind if we made it 11 or noon, though. I need a haircut and my semi-retired barber only works Saturday mornings (and I have to go to Gallatin).

There are a few really good barbers Downtown, and in North Nashville. No need to go to Gallatin.

Edited by Urban Architecture

It may be just you and me. John is a maybe as is WW.

I'd love for others to join, but I'll still go, regardless.

Red Bicycle...any suggestions on parking? I'm guessing there will be street parking somewhere in the general area...but are some places better than others?

Cool little mini meet with Myself, William, Bob, Kevin, Bret, And Jeff there. Great walk through Germantown although a little cool.

Still a lot of room for infill in that neighborhood.

Sorry guys, I got so engrossed in the "tropical depression" of the Mass Transit forum that I plumb forgot to keep up with what had been brewing up with the mini-meets.

I guess I should make some kind of "ding" to go off as an alert to pull my chain, whenever someone does initiate dialog on this forum.  It generally can go for weeks without even a whisper, until just prior to an upcoming first weekend.  That's the reason that I let days go by.

-=ricky-roox=-

Cool little mini meet with Myself, William, Bob, Kevin, Bret, And Jeff there. Great walk through Germantown although a little cool.

Still a lot of room for infill in that neighborhood.

Did not get out of bed until 10:07, although I woke up at 8:56! Spent the morning cleaning the condo, and running errands. Drove through the area on Sunday. There is a lot happening. I am sure the ballpark will help as well further development.

Did not get out of bed until 10:07, although I woke up at 8:56! Spent the morning cleaning the condo, and running errands. Drove through the area on Sunday. There is a lot happening. I am sure the ballpark will help as well further development.

Excuses, excuses, excuses!!!! You just need to get up early like me. Sleeping in is 6 am. Just messing with you John.