The Dave Luna Urban Planet Forum Meet-Up (online, too), Sat. April 6th, 10 AM to noon; Copper Kettle patio at Downtown Library at 6th Ave. North and Church St.

smeagolsfree

Sorry guys, first time to use Flickr and not real sure how to post the correct link without having to click on each on an individual photo.

Unfortunately, I think Flickr stopped allowing users to be able to post url formats for forum usage and such. I use photobucket since they still do.

As to the first set, the problem is not that they are out of character for the neighborhood but that they would be ugly in any neighborhood, plain boxes whose most prominent feature at the ground level is the garage door.

As to the 2nd, with the bridge in front, I haven't seen them in person but I very much like the look of these houses, the huge defect is the landscaping.  They have an opportunity to do something interesting with this unusual space in front of the building and all they can think of is grass and a couple of boxwoods.  It's rare you would get a chance for a landscape/garden that is going to be seen from above, there are lots of possibilities here for something distinctive that makes the little bridge a feature rather than just an oddity. 

Thanks ML! We had an amazing day. We met at 10:30 and finished up at 2:45! We had Ron, Myself, Brett, Jeff, Kevin, Bob, and WW. WW did not take the tour with us. The 6 of us had an incredible time including eating pizza at Castinello's (sp) Pizza in Riverside Village.

Yes, so much is happening on the East Side and it will keep getting better. After the mini meet, the wife and I headed over to the St. Patricks Day Festival. Thanks for allowing me to host and set this event up. Thanks to Brett for the amazing tour, and thanks to everyone who came by my place. I have wanted to have a meet here for awhile. Maybe at some point we can meet and drink coffee on the community deck overlooking downtown. Ron, thanks as always for the great pics! Next time we will have to kidnap WW.

In any case it was a great time for all!

Best, 

UA (John)

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I may sit this one out. I am thinking about getting back into my painting, so I will probably head over to Griffin Art Supply and price some paints and canvasses. They have limited hours on Saturdays.

I also have a handyman coming to install conduit for a chandelier I got for the ding room. Not sure if I'll be able to squeeze everything in.

Edited by Urban Architecture

Great meet today with a pretty good turnout. Great to see you all, and we came up with some immense secretive projects, like a 50 story Ritz Carlton coming to the Gulch as well as a 74 story apartment in Germantown!

Not really... but it was still a great meeting all around. We will be holding our next mini meet in 2 Saturdays (April 19th) in the South Side (Houston/12S). I will see about putting an RSVP together for that walk & drive around so we could get a gauge on the number of cars we need.

Not really... but it was still a great meeting all around. We will be holding our next mini meet in 2 Saturdays (April 19th) in the South Side (Houston/12S). I will see about putting an RSVP together for that walk & drive around so we could get a gauge on the number of cars we need.

Could we start that one no earlier than 12?  I have a neighborhood clean-up project on the morning of the 19th.

Just an idea. Maybe for the folks that want to come a little earlier, is that we meet at Edleys and have lunch. I am open to holding off till 12. The vegetarians in the group may be SOL. The only non meat items are fried okra, pickles, and the kids grilled cheese and that will not work if you are a true vegan. Of course, there is always desert.

• Like 1

Just an idea. Maybe for the folks that want to come a little earlier, is that we meet at Edleys and have lunch. I am open to holding off till 12. The vegetarians in the group may be SOL. The only non meat items are fried okra, pickles, and the kids grilled cheese and that will not work if you are a true vegan. Of course, there is always desert.

And after Edley's, we can skip over to 12th South Taproom. 

Though we should probably stop before it goes from neighborhood walk to neighborhood stumble.

• 2 weeks later...

Mini meet time!

This weekend, we're doing 12S and Houston, but there's so much area to cover we're going to need drivers - 2-3 depending on how many we have respond here. We are looking to meet around 10:30 at Frothy Monkey for coffee, and probably Edley's for lunch.

That said, please RSVP here if you can make it.

I'm 90% sure at this point. 

I can drive. My car seats (other than me) 2 adults and 1 midget (sorry, driver's seat has to be all the way back)...or if someone wants to block my rear-view, they can sit in the middle and make the other passenger uncomfortable.

I definitely cannot make 10:30.  I have a neighborhood clean-up that morning.  But I could do 12:00 and would have to drive over there, so I would have a car that seats 4 or 5.

I'm all up in Wedgewood Houston because I work near there and go to the Wedgewood-Houston Art Crawl periodically.  But I would really like to take a tour of Belmont's campus. 

Sounds like I will miss this one and have to catch the next one.