Nashville Mayoral Race

BrandonTO416

My feeling is that the votes are going to be split between Karl Dean and David Briley for many progressives, Howard Gentry will get the minority vote I am guessing, and that leaves Clement getting most the Republicans and other Democrats.

Clement will likely be the mayor.

My choice is equally split between Karl Dean and David Briley, both seem capable and enthusiastic on issues of importance.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new poll conducted by WSMV TV was reported last night and showed Dean now in the lead with 18%, Clement in second with 16%, Dozier and Gentry tied with 11%, and Briley trailing with 8%.

Also the Nashville Scene in one of its political blogs is reporting that the paper was leaked a internal poll from one of the campaigns that also shows Dean with 18%, but in second place to Clement who polled 25%.

Could a Dean and Clement run-off be in the future? And if these numbers prove true, does a campaign like Briley's need to drop out and back Dean to ensure he makes the run-off in the best position possible? Do any of the other candidates need to likewise consider dropping out and backing another campaign to boost another candidate to better their position and/or throw another candidate into the mix?

Plenty of discussion material! :D

^ To a certian degree yes the effects of such actions would be diminished by the number of ballots cast in early voting, but there will still be a substantial of votes cast on election day itself. So I wouldn't completely rule out the effects of such a move.

^There is a runoff process triggered if nobody reached 50% of the vote. Thats probably what you remember, but not being a local there may be some interesting fact that I don't know about that happened in a past election.

Somebody correct me if the total needed to avoid a runoff is less than that, for example in KY its 40% in their primary system.

• 2 weeks later...
My feeling is that the votes are going to be split between Karl Dean and David Briley for many progressives, Howard Gentry will get the minority vote I am guessing, and that leaves Clement getting most the Republicans and other Democrats.

Clement will likely be the mayor.

My choice is equally split between Karl Dean and David Briley, both seem capable and enthusiastic on issues of importance.

Why I am supporting Buck Dozier:

I have been frustrated by the lack of significant disagreement between the candidates. They all speak in platitudes. So I sent the following email to all of the mayor candidates (except Dean, for whom I could not find an email address). Buck Dozier replied. I have sent him a second email asking if I can post his response, and I am holding off doing so until he replies. However, I can tell you that he was willing to talk specifics, and more willing to take a stand than any other candidate. He won my vote.

By the way, why didn

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up voting for Briley for mayor instead of Dean; however, now I'm no longer eligible to vote. On the road to Canada I made a bypass to Portland, Oregon. ;) This is a great town guys, and I know many of you have enough hometown pride so I'll keep my comments to myself. All I can say is good luck, and I love the new home. Nashville never was compatible with me on any level, and no matter how hard I tried to love my hometown its just not a relationship you can force on two unwanting partners. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Dean wins in a close race and either man would have done their best for Nashville. I feel the vote reflects what a hard decision it was for the citizens of Nashville between two good candidates.

I think Mayor Dean will serve the city well and continue the legacies of Bredesen and Purcell in moving the city in a continous forward looking direction.

With Dean's victory, you can definitely count on the construction of the Music City Center in SoBro in the near future. Dean, as Purcell's handpicked canidate, will be called to continue some of the things championed by the Purcell Administration - namely, the construction of the convention center. This should be good news for some of you, bad for others. Personally, I still don't know.

Archived